Hello, need your advice please

Options
Hi all. So I have lost a lot of weight with MFP in the past but due to depression and boredom ate all the weight back and more. yesterday I went over my calories about 400, same as today. I am trying. I know I need to try harder. I currently am meant to eat 1470 each day which is enough for me to lose a pound. Last time I checked about a week ago I was 13 stone 10, and I'm 5'4 so I'm obese. Should I find out what I'm actually meant to be eating with my TDEE or should I stay with MFP recommendations of 1470? Is it bad to go over calories twice a week? Is this normal to go over in the beginning? Will I eventually be able to stick within my calories and even if I go over for a week should I still keep logging? Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you eat your TDEE exactly, you won't lose weight. You'll just maintain. If you're asking if you should use your TDEE to determine your deficit, you can do that or you can use MFP's method (eating your goal calories plus at least some of the calories burnt through exercise).

It's not "bad" to go over calories twice in a week. You may find -- depending on how much you go over -- that it keeps you from meeting your goals.

Some people do find it normal to go over at the beginning of a plan.

The only person who can know if you will be able to consistently meet your calorie goal is you. But even if you go over, I would keep logging.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If your aren't able to stick to your goal calories, maybe try changing up WHAT you are eating. Try getting a bit more protein...if that doesn't help try getting a bit more fat...if that doesn't help try getting a bit more carbs. For me getting more protein and fat makes me feel more satisfied and less likely to have cravings and overeat. For some people carbs are more satiating. It may take some experimenting, but you should be able to determine what works best for you so you aren't feeling miserable to meet your calorie goal.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought ... why don't you see what MFP suggests you eat to maintain your current weight .... that would be without any additional exercise, but with normal living based on the kind of work you do (the majority of our active day is spent at 'work') .... Then you would have a ball park figure to see if your weight actually does stay the same when you eat at that rate. You would still need to tweak the numbers based on if you do any true exercise outside of the normal day-to-day activities ... MFP expects you to eat those calories, or most of them, back anyway. After a couple of weeks you will know if your own metabolism is lower or higher and can use that to help set your calorie goal. If you stay with the MFP recommendations, plug in your exercise and eat at least some of those calories back.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    First, 13 stone 10 is 153 lbs--hardly obese for 5'4", and scarcely overweight (8 lbs). Your deficit is set waaaay too high. Eat 1600-1800, exercise a bit more and don't starve.

I'm also 5'4", 148 lb (13 stone 5) and don't consider myself obese at all. Most don't even think I'm overweight. I think you're being too aggressive with yourself.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    First, 13 stone 10 is 153 lbs--hardly obese for 5'4", and scarcely overweight (8 lbs). Your deficit is set waaaay too high. Eat 1600-1800, exercise a bit more and don't starve.

I'm also 5'4", 148 lb (13 stone 5) and don't consider myself obese at all. Most don't even think I'm overweight. I think you're being too aggressive with yourself.

13 stone 10 is 192lbs...
  • hello8642
    hello8642 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

1st = 14lbs, for reference : )
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    First, you didn't mention your age but if your picture is current I'm guessing you are actually running too high a deficit. I'm guessing I'm 8-15 years older than you are and 12 lbs heavier. We are the same height and I can lose on 1800. I fall between sedentary and lightly active without structured exercise.

There are all sorts of reasons that MFP (or any other calculator) needs some personal adjustment. It could be that you assumed sedentary and you may not be, etc.

Anyway, too high of a deficit, especially early on means you are more likely to go over goal more often and/or binge. Try a smaller deficit (1/2 lb loss instead of 1 lb loss per week) at first, should put you closer to 1600-1700 cals/day. See if you can stick to that before you increase your deficit.

Every one has off days but the degree of overage (100 cals vs. 600 cals) and how often makes the different. Personally I try to stay within 10% of target 5/7 days AND I try not to ever go over my maintenance cals. If I'm consistently missing those goals I know I need to reevaluate and adjust to something more sustainable, including looking at my macros.

Keep in mind that if you aren't weighing your food the margin for error is smaller.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Sorry I'm nearly 25. I don't look it I know.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about the long game. If you're struggling with adherence, it's more beneficial to stay at a small deficit for a long time than it is to aim for a big deficit (but not be able to maintain that for very long).

If you set MFP to lose 0.5 pounds a week, how many calories does that give you? Could you stay at that intake for the next 4-8 weeks? I'd rather start there, log some downward motion on the scale and get used to the deficit first, then go more aggressive on the deficit once I'd adjusted.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    @brznhabits do you only lose half a pound on 1/2 per week or more?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    hello8642 wrote: »

1st = 14lbs, for reference : )

Darned internet calculators lied to me. :) Sorry, OP.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @brznhabits do you only lose half a pound on 1/2 per week or more?

@gabrielleelliott9, Sorry for the delay, just saw this. Yes, 1/2 lb week. I'm focused on sustainable habit changes not rapid loss.

Anyway, you are younger so your metabolism is probably higher so you might lose more with the same deficit.