HMR Shakes/Entrees

Hi everyone,
Has anyone tasted the HMR Shakes and Entrees? If you have, please tell me if you like them, and what your favorite item is. Do you find any of their items particularly nasty?

I went to a weight loss seminar at the hospital yesterday to explore non-surgical weight loss options. Several of their options incorporate HMR products into your diet. I see they are available on Amazon and I have a prime membership so I'll probably order. Just looking for an opinion on taste before I start picking random things.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Just eat at a deficit (ie, fewer calories than you burn), no expensive shakes required.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    It's just another thing to spend money on and they aren't anything special. They are just easy. If you need something fast like a shake or frozen meal, you can probably get them from your grocery store for much cheaper.

It's possible to gain weight with them just like anything else. You need to be at a calorie deficit, so eat what works for your life and budget at a deficit. If these shakes and food work with that, then sure buy them but they won't give you better results than anything else...
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I liked the hmr shakes but didn't care for the meals. It did make my life easier just whip up the shake and go. I do prefer to eat my calories now as often as possible because I need to learn how to have correct portion sizes so I can maintain when that day comes
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    I have not tried the shakes, though I have the meals. You can get better tasting, cheaper, and calorically similar meals in the freezer section of most grocery stores.
  • clairelizzy1972
    clairelizzy1972 Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks for your responses, especially from those who have actually tried them. IMO its not too expensive if you actually look at the pricing, about $15 per day and I already spend that! I see there is not much love on here for them.
  • clairelizzy1972
    I was just estimating, Im told its 2.50$ per meal approx, 5-7 meals a day. Again Im not asking what to decide, but Im curious about the taste. I appreciate the input from those of you who have actually tasted it. Thank you! I havent made my decision yet, however Im an adult and will decide if the price is worth it, on my own.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2017
    I used the entrees at first for a good while to help with calorie control. None of them are really great (shelf-stable, ya know) but some were tasty. I'd have to go home and check my closet to be more specific. I have a buttload of them I'm saving for the apocalypse.

I'm not too keen on medical weight loss "programs," though, especially ones that package your food for you. I never followed the program. Just ate the food and tracked the calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Price is objective, but must be calculated correctly - price per unit and number of meals per day are two variables, which increases the difference exponentially. Taste and value is subjective; you will have to try it to find out if it tastes good, and what you are willing to pay for, is nobody else's business. What you should be looking for, is neutral information. There are lots of great articles on decision making on the net. This is just one: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201109/how-can-we-make-better-decisions
  • twexerbee
    twexerbee Posts: 2 Member
    I am currently on the HMR diet through a local hospital. I’ve got a lot to lose and have been encouraged with the group meetings and structure. Are you currently on the diet?
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Ive only tried the HMR 800 chocolate ones. I blended with ice and water, pretended it was a frosty.
    They were descent
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    edited January 2018
    Lots of places sell shakes, meal replacements, and other goodies. Some protein bars are great substitutes for candy bars, others are yuck.

In the end, like many, I discovered that logging everything I ate and reviewing my decisions allowed me to optimize my way of eating for myself!

Who would have thunk that dumping 3g cocoa powder and 10g all bran buds in 650g of 0% Yoplait Sucralose sweetened yogurt is 250 Cal (same or less than many shakes), and much less filling? Not me before I tried it!

And do you know what happens when you mix a 50g egg and 200g to 250g of egg whites plus some onion, green peppers, dried chives, garlic, about 1.5g of butter for the poaching cups and no more parmesan and ham than it would takes to get to 200 Cal? 3-4 beautiful poached....

Let's not get into....

Set a reasonable deficit. It doesn't always have to be 2lbs a week. Log food. Eat it. Evaluate it. Change it. If shakes are convenient... they're fine too. But they're no more magical than a packaged frozen dinner or a bottle of ensure.
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    The shakes are pretty good. I love the chocolate alone or the vanilla with fruit.

My favorite entrees are the penne pasta with meatballs and the turkey chili.

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    I would rather have 2 good meals of larger size than 5 to 7 *kitten* meals any day.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I've never tried HMR products so can't comment on them but I do use Lean Cuisine and they are quite tasty. If you are just looking for controlled portions they might be worth a try.
  • clairelizzy1972
    twexerbee wrote: »
    I am currently on the HMR diet through a local hospital. I’ve got a lot to lose and have been encouraged with the group meetings and structure. Are you currently on the diet?

I decided not to do the "decision free" option but am doing a supervised calorie deficit diet. Do you have any hmr favorites?
  • clairelizzy1972
    I've never tried HMR products so can't comment on them but I do use Lean Cuisine and they are quite tasty. If you are just looking for controlled portions they might be worth a try.

I have some favorite lean cuisines! Mostly the mexican rice and enchiladas
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    I like the Lasagna, Chili and Chicken Creole entrees the best. The vanilla shake with sugar free pistachio pudding is phenomenal. None of the entrees are nasty or inedible, imo. I've been doing the "healthy solutions" program since the last week in October.