Easy London Fog Latte at Home- and other homemade drinks!

Options
Penthesilea514
Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
edited September 2017 in Recipes
I had one at Starbucks not too long ago and fell in love with this. And since it is actually super easy to make at home, I have been pleased with my recipe for making it and I thought I would share.

1 Earl Grey tea bag (I really think any type with lavender makes this drink awesome)
8 oz of nonfat milk (soy milk is also delicious for this)
8 oz water
2 tsp sugar free vanilla syrup (or your favorite vanilla syrup)
mason jar (or other microwave safe container with a lid)
appropriate sized drinking vessel (I make it for my travel mug) but it makes about 16oz + foam

1. Boil water and brew the tea in the boiling water for at least 5 minutes (honestly, I like my tea to cut steel some days so I leave in in for 8-10 minutes while I get ready for work).
2. Place milk in mason jar (or whatever container you have with a lid) in a microwave for 45-60 seconds, UNCOVERED. Time will vary depending on type of microwave, so watch it the first few times to prevent boil over to reach your preferred temperature.
3. After milk is heated, put the top on the heated milk jar and shake the jar to your desired "foam" level (while the mason jar is not burning hot, it will be slightly warm to touch- just a warning).
4. In travel mug (or your favorite drinking container), place the 2 tsp sugar free vanilla syrup, then the brewed tea, topped with the milk and foam. I keep the tea bag in the drink for extra flavor.
5. Enjoy!

I like it for breakfast time because it gives me some protein and caffeine and it is gentle on my sensitive stomach early in the morning.

Comes out to 80 calories, 0g fat, 12g carbs, 8g protein (essentially, whatever milk you use). The price of ingredients, makes about two weeks worth of drinks for the price of 2-3 Starbucks versions.

Halving this for a smaller cup would probably work just fine, but I haven't tried it.

Otherwise, I drink my tea generally "black" later in the day if I have some more. And I will highly recommend electric kettles where you can adjust the temperature for different tea types- it is fantastic.

My husband makes his coffee with freshly ground beans, a dash of salt, and a French press- so we take our morning caffeine pretty seriously lol.

Anyone else have some fun make at home versions of your favorite tea or coffee drinks? Do you have a favorite method of brewing? Do you have favorite brands of tea or beans that you prefer?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this idea! I'll for sure try it. I am an Earl Grey fanatic.

Sorry I don't have anything special to share...I really don't get that ambitious with beverages at home, to be honest. But I'll try this!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    oh this sounds fun and yummy! i'd like to try this - thanks for the recipe!
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    Thanks for this idea! I'll for sure try it. I am an Earl Grey fanatic.

Sorry I don't have anything special to share...I really don't get that ambitious with beverages at home, to be honest. But I'll try this!

Thanks! Me too, I love Earl Grey so much lol.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    oh this sounds fun and yummy! i'd like to try this - thanks for the recipe!

Thanks- I hope you like it!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That looks delicious! I love London fogs and haven't yet tried them at home. Thanks!

Have you tried it at all with non-dairy milk like coconut or almond? (I can't do soy or dairy.) I'm interested if it foams at all (which isn't a deal breaker because I'm sure it'll be fantastic no matter what).
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    That looks delicious! I love London fogs and haven't yet tried them at home. Thanks!

Have you tried it at all with non-dairy milk like coconut or almond? (I can't do soy or dairy.) I'm interested if it foams at all (which isn't a deal breaker because I'm sure it'll be fantastic no matter what).

I have not tried non-dairy milk, sorry, so I am not sure about how they foam. If you try it, let us know! :smiley: