Do you believe it is ALL just CICO?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Look up the Twinkie diet. In my opinion yes it is all about calories in and calories out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2017
    andreayup wrote: »
    Hi all -
    So, I am under the impression that if I eat burn more calories than I eat, I will lose weight. Is it that simple?

For example, if i eat food with little to no nutritional value, what one might call, garbage...but stay under my calorie goal, will I still lose weight?

Now, this isn't how I conduct my day to day life, but I am a teacher and somedays rely solely on candy, chips, and other assorted snacks to get through the day.

Thoughts?

It's basic math.

A calorie is a unit of energy. Your body needs XXXX units of that energy to maintain the status quo and function optimally. When you consume energy in excess of what you require, that surplus energy is stored as body fat...it's your backup energy source...your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires, that deficiency has to be reconciled...so your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat to make up the deficiency.

I tend to eat a diet that is rich in whole food nutrition...I also have pizza nights and like to get my pub grub on at times and will occasionally swing by a Wendy's or McDonalds on a road trip or something.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    In your busy teacher role, I am wondering how accurate you are at logging all those junky snacks? Relying on them could push you in to more CI than CO. Another poster suggested packing some protein to balance all the readily available carby snacks. A couple hard boiled eggs or a tuna snack pack could do the trick. You could also pre-log your planned snacks/meals for the day. Then you can remain in a calorie deficit regardless of the quality of the calories that day.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    This is the extreme example to show you that, yes, it really is just CICO for WEIGHT LOSS. However, as others have stated, there's more to health than just your weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If we're talking purely about weight loss, all you have to do is create a deficit, regardless of food choices.

If we're talking about weight loss AND health, or weight loss AND satiety, or weight loss AND body composition, we have to consider CICO AND other factors. Where we tend to get into fights is when we have half of the people just talking about weight loss and half of the people talking about weight loss and some other factor.

THIS.

I honestly believe it depends where you are in your weight loss journey, and what your goals are.

I'm at a perfectly healthy weight and now into aesthetics rather than simple weight loss, and it turns out to be WAY more complicated than CICO for me to achieve my goals.