Macros for fat while reverse dieting...

halimaiqbal00
halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
So I'm into my second week of reverse dieting and have increased my calories from 1750 (been on this amount for a year) to 1900 and will do this for two weeks before tweaking it further.

Macros are 140p/190c/66f

Aim is to lose increase lean body mass and speed up metabolism. I have started to train 4x a week. 2 upper body strength days and 2 lower body strength days. Limited cardio..maybe 10 min hiit 3x a week

Should I increase my carbs and lower fat? My focus is progressive overload

Stats FYI:
Female
5' 7
147 pounds

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Your macros look fine to me. This is the range I like to stay in (minimum grams per lb goalweight/lean body mass):
    Protein: .8 to 1g
    Fats: .35 to .6g
    Carbs: The rest

So you have some flexibility, if you feel better on more carbs and feel like they enhance your performance in the gym, you can increase them and lower your protein a bit. But this is personal preference.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    In your case I would think it might help to increase carbs some. From previous posts about the hunger issue, and going farther back your workout types, they might be related. IIRC you are swinging some fairly heavy kettlebells for a woman your size, and tend to do your workouts at fairly high intensity. Burning off that glycogen more quickly tends to leave me more hungry, and for me I hit a wall where I needed the extra carb boost of a piece of fruit or something before the workout or the workout suffered a little.

I also agree it's a preference thing for the most part. But at times small changes really make you feel different depending on your workouts and types, as well as the rest of your daily routine.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Thanks for your answers! I think I will increase my carbs to see if that helps. I have no idea why bf the thought of lots of carbs scares me even though I realise the science behind it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    When reverse dieting I tend to manipulate carbs. protein and fat stay pretty constant, and increases come from carbs. It's calories that matter at the end of the day so it doesn't really matter.

I wouldn't lower your fat... I think it's important for hormone health and body functions. It also makes food taste good :)
  • halimaiqbal00
    So I weighed in after my first week of reverse dieting and haven't gained! That's despite an increase of 150 calories a day. So happy with this. I think I'll stay at 1900 calories a day for the next two weeks and then tweak as necessary
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Agreed. Calories are top priority. How they look is second. Protein is the top priority. Once you figure that out, you can play with Carbs | Fats. Some people do better with more carbs while others do better with more fats. Play with that ratio until you find what works best for you.

Everyone is going to have different experiences with this....mainly, it is all about what works best for you. But keeping your fats at a decent level is important (as already mentioned by others). Don't go too low there (whatever that might mean for you).

If I might ask, what were you doing before? A cut, I would guess. And, assuming that I am correct, for how long were you in that cut?

Or, were you simply eating at a very low caloric intake and are looking to adjust your metabolism to a higher value (for potential future work, or just for general great health)?
  • halimaiqbal00
    Exactly, I was eating at too few calories, doing a tonne of intense cardio and now I can’t seem to lose any weight unless I cut down further but I’m starting to feel lethargic so this isn’t working for me.

I want to increase my metabolism so I can fuel my workouts to lift heavier and eat more too