Colitis and no more screwing around

Hi everyone, I'm a 28 year old dad and accountant from Virginia and I've been sick my entire life. My intestines weren't fully developed when I was born, I was a cesarean, and I was bottle fed. It's been a lifetime of terrible allergies, catching every bug within a 50 mile radius, and the intestinal fortitude of a new born Siamese cat. You would think all of that would be an encouragement to eat right and exercise regularly, but feeling like garbage 90 percent of the time can depress a guy. I mean, if I had to suffer all the time I might as well eat whatever the hell I wanted. Recently I wound up in the hopsital, where I was diagnosed with colitis and warned that it could easily turn into the much worse c word if I kept pumping my guts full of things that are toxic to me. I have a friend who isn't much older than I am and that exact thing happened to him; his ulcerative colitis became colon cancer. So, I have finally begun listening to my wife and doctors. I have accepted that there is a laundry list of delicious foods that I cannot eat anymore. Not occasionally, not ever. Since implementing this lifestyle overhaul I have felt better than I maybe ever have, at least in my adult life. I am not plagued by chronic indigestion, I don't have daily stomach aches that used to have me doubled over and sweating at my desk, even my allergies have improved. I fully intend to stick to this diet, even if it is difficult sometimes. Nothing is quite so motivational as knowing that if you cheat, you'll probably spend half your work day in the bathroom.

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Nothing is quite so motivational as knowing that if you cheat, you'll probably spend half your work day in the bathroom

Very true. I have Crohn's, and the list of food intolerances grew over the years. I'm on an elimination diet, and my quality of life is much better. I am not tempted to cheat because the results are not worth it.
  • 1FineFaye84
    1FineFaye84 Posts: 46 Member
    I too have been diagnosed with Colitis. I have ulcerative colitis- and have so much inflammation all I do is GAIN weight. I was poisoning myself... It's time for me to get on track and REALLY make some changes. When I'm getting down on myself- sometimes it's worth remembering- I AM WORTH IT. (YOU are TOO)
  • rlaurain
    rlaurain Posts: 64 Member
    Wow, your story sounds so similar to mine. I've always had some type of sickness almost constantly. I was a C-section, also bottle fed.. I have an autoimmune disease AND ulcerative colitis. It is so bad it sends me into flare ups of horrible stomach pain that leaves me nearly passing out & nauseated. I am trying to get in to see the GI doctor to get a daily medication, but they're all booked months out. I've been having to go to Urgent Care for temporary relief until the GI doctor will finally see me. Can I ask, what foods do you try to avoid the most? I've been eating quite healthy, but it seems ANYthing I eat sends my stomach into chaos. =[
  • gomezleigh
    gomezleigh Posts: 1 Member
    You should check out the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". That will give you recipes and a guide on eating and explain how colitis works. Just Google search SCD.