200+ Pounds to Lose

I know a little at a time. Start small. Make small goals (10 at a time). For anyone who lost or are losing a large amount of weight, what do you do to keep yourself motivated? What drives you? What are some of your tips?

Replies

• mfp142
    mfp142 Posts: 10 Member
    The first two weeks, I focused on just eating better and reading a LOT. Get used to MFP also. Push every button and search all the functions of the app so that when you really hunker down to lose the weight, you'll have every tool in the toolbox to do so. Everyone says "start small", but they don't really say what that means. For me, that meant cutting down the sugar slowly over the first two weeks. Drinking more and more water (made me sick at first, then I felt great! Detoxing from sugar and caffeine is real
  • mfp142
    mfp142 Posts: 10 Member
    My comment got cut off so here's a summary:

Shop for groceries at a produce stand. They often have meat, fruits, veggies, berries, nuts, and seeds etc. There's usually very little processed foods. And/or find a farm for the very freshest of unprocessed meats and produce (source: am farmer). Best wishes, and be nice to yourself
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    edited September 2017
    Low carb has helped me tremendously. I feel compelled to say that it ISNT the only method out there (so the skitzos on here don't freak out).. But where just regular cico for me didn't work at all..(carbs made me eat more and was hard to control my appetite on), low carb has made it almost a breeze. I lost nothing for 7 months on fighting with cico. Cico combined with low carb? 22 lbs in two months.

My point is, don't give up if something don't work, just try something different until you find that magic little formula that gives you an edge.
  • ShaDucky
    ShaDucky Posts: 67 Member
    Reading the success stories helped a lot at the start. I started at 376, and I'm down to 320....getting to the 50lb mark was super motivating, and when I sat down to look at it, instead of thinking geeze its only a drop in the bucket, it was wow I am 1/4 of the way there! I have already accomplished so much, and now that I am close to leaving 300s, I am super motivated. I feel like each step has a different motivation as you go though. But really not focusing on how much I need to lose, and celebrating what I have done has been more positive for me.

I don't follow anything other than calories, and I like to work out...but I really just each what I want in those limits, and try to make good choices. I have small kids and I notice the better I eat the better they eat because they are still small enough to want to eat like me. And that's motivation in itself. I don't want my kids to deal with this.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    How do I keep myself on this journey every day?
    I just put one foot in front of the other.

You just keep pushing!! :D
  • dolfinah74
    dolfinah74 Posts: 4 Member
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Low carb has helped me tremendously. I feel compelled to say that it ISNT the only method out there (so the skitzos on here don't freak out).. But where just regular cico for me didn't work at all..(carbs made me eat more and was hard to control my appetite on), low carb has made it almost a breeze. I lost nothing for 7 months on fighting with cico. Cico combined with low carb? 22 lbs in two months.

My point is, don't give up if something don't work, just try something different until you find that magic little formula that gives you an edge.

Hi, I am new to the boards, but your post caught my attention. I wouldn’t spam, because of the extensive research I have done that made me understand the difference in carbs we consume. Human made carbs do not get processed by our bodies the same way. Starting college and learning more about my health issues made me research foods and what I could and cannot eat to maintain a healthy weight. I have struggled and failed, but each failure brought a new lesson. I have begun again and live on a clean food, no processed foods except my Herbalife shakes. Although it has only been two weeks I feel a difference that I don’t feel when I eat whatever I want. I love bread, I just don’t process it, therefore, I do not eat it.

Keep sharing your positive experience with low carb, others will learn that we have been programmed to eat foods that we do not need at all.
  • princillaawuah
    princillaawuah Posts: 13 Member
    @ShaDucky so inspiring add me let's be friends
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Take it 1 day at a time .... maybe use the blogging function on here (i did for first couple months) to write down how you feel ...

I am taking it simple, just focus on today, don't think of the long-term numbers cos they're big and scary and feel daunting .... just get 'today' done with and making the right choices...

I'm on day 326 of this and am 76lb down .... get used to the fact that sometimes you'll go 2 or 3 weeks and you won't lose ... it'll catch up sooner or later... but i've averaged 1.7lb a week which i think is spot on for sustainable weight loss..

I'm now at the point where i'm going to need a whole new set of trousers at least and they're falling off me ... so it's working

I have my days where i stop caring and just have a blow out but i accept that for what it is and don't worry about 'falling off the wagon' .... its just life ... life doesn't allow you to be perfect day in day out ...

A big change that's finally starting to take is that my desire for snacks and feelings of hunger are slowly diminishing ... i can actually feel the cravings and draw of food slowly ebbing away which is a MASSIVE milestone given i was the kinda person who'd sit down and demolish packs of cookies at a time without blinking...

Best of luck .... you can do it .... if i can - anyone can
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think it is important to find a healthy way of eating that you can live with the rest of your life. Then just get on with living. The weight will then take care of itself. As for what that way of eating is , there are many ways of healthy eating that work best for different people. For me I need the cravings to stop and my cravings stop if I cut out most processed foods and eat lots of veg and fiber with my meals. If you eat something you did not plan to or go on a junk food binge just move on, it is not the end of the world, does not make anyone a bad person, it is just being human.
    I am hoping to get a new group up and running for those with 100lb or more to lose or who started with that much to lose. Anyone that applys to is welcome to join
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123749-100lb-plus-of-excess-baggage-to-shift
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    I recommend taking progress photos regularly. On days when I am not feeling motivated I can look back on how far I’ve come. I take face shots daily and full body shots every week or so.
  • 60qe43kmf8c5.jpeg

When I started this journey 800 odd days ago.
    I believed I could do it.
    I knew it was going to take time.
    A LOT of time!!!
    Believe in yourself and you too will achieve your goals.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    I have lost well over 200 lbs. MFP and this community had a lot to do with it: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/15651-lets-lose-100

To answer your questions, I really focused on my "why," which is my little girl. I have to not only BE there for her, I have to lead her by example. She's only 2 and won't remember her Mommy being super morbidly obese (I hope) although she does recognize me in very old pics. Figuring out your "why" is essential. My love for my daughter drives me, every single day. (Yes, I love my husband and Big Girl too, but Little Bit is at a life stage where she copies everything I do, and I want the things she emulates to be good habits).

Along the way of course I set smaller goals. I found numbers that have importance to me, and I wrote them all out on a sticky note I keep at my computer, checking them off as I went. .3, 10, 7.4, 2.6, 6.9, 1, 2.1, 7.4, 2.6, 10, 10, 2.7, 7.3, 4.9, 5, 4....etc. I made sure to celebrate milestones, both big and small. I personally tried to never think of the amount I had to lose in large numbers, because that would have been way too intimidating. Every little percent of weight lost, every 10 lbs, every time I hit a new set of numbers were smaller, obtainable goals, and then the 100 club came...and Onederland, and the 200 club. What now feels like "suddenly," several years later, is the healthier me! I found things other than the scale to focus on, too. Getting new clothes was a motivator but particular fitness-related events were even better. Riding horses? Check. Getting on an amusement park ride with my nephews? Check. Triathlon? Check. 5Ks every month---checkarooney, and improved times or greater distances, etc. were also a big deal to me.

You really CAN do it. It's all under your control. Believe and achieve and whatnot. My trainer and I have a few mantras: (1) A goal without a plan is just a dream, (2) You can't out-exercise a bad diet, and (3) Yeah, I just did that! Good luck!