Protein

This has probably been asked a hundred times but is there somewhere where I can find a guide to how much protein I should be eating if I want to build muscle?

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    The generally recommended minimum is 0.6-0.8g per lb of lean body mass. For muscle growth (assuming you do some kind of resistance training/lifting), about 0.8g-1g per lb of lean body mass is enough, but most people shoot for 0.8g-1g per lb of bodyweight if they're really trying to focus on strength and gains.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Thank you.
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    1 gram per pound is universally accepted . Also eat carrots and potatoes which are high in potassium to be always safe when consuming high protien diet . You can google the effects of potassium rich diet when taking protien to understand how it helps .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    This has probably been asked a hundred times but is there somewhere where I can find a guide to how much protein I should be eating if I want to build muscle?

you also need a calorie surplus in general.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member

you also need a calorie surplus in general.

^This. Caloric surplus is necessary to build muscle, along with adequate protein intake.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    I'm actually still trying to lose weight, I just want to build muscle while I'm losing, so I don't think I want a calorie surplus.
  • taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    edited September 2017
    Unfortunately, you can't really do both at the same time. However, you still need adequate protein intake as well as strength training to ensure you do not lose muscle mass while losing fat. If you're completely new to strength training, you will have some initial strength gains in the first few months and likely some new definition :)
  • pilarslayer
    pilarslayer Posts: 234 Member
    depends on how new you are to weight lifting plus the amount of body fat you have. if you are new to the gym or have higher body fat you can lose fat and build muscle through body recomposition which they are finding is more and more scientifically proven.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm actually still trying to lose weight, I just want to build muscle while I'm losing, so I don't think I want a calorie surplus.

you cant really, other than a bit of newbie gains and/or some recomp.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    depends on how new you are to weight lifting plus the amount of body fat you have. if you are new to the gym or have higher body fat you can lose fat and build muscle through body recomposition which they are finding is more and more scientifically proven.

Nobody is doubting that recomp is possible... there are several great threads about it here on MFP. The only caution I see thrown out is that it is generally very very slow. Most people want to see a little progress in as short a time as possible and you end up with threads about "2 months on recomp and nothing is happening".

I tend to see recomp as being more valuable to people that have reached their target weight and are either scared or unwilling to risk a true bulk cycle.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

What you want to do then is MAINTAIN muscle while still trying to lose.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

If you are new to strength training, you might build a little muscle to start, but really a realistic goal while eating at a deficit is to preserve muscle. Eating enough protein and strength training while eating at a deficit will minimize how much muscle you lose, and you can strengthen the muscle you have. Then once you get to your goal weight, increase those calories to maintenance or a slight surplus and keep working out to build more muscle. Good luck!
  • catsislife
    catsislife Posts: 4 Member
    That's 15-20 reps, not 51
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    that is also significantly more than the recommended protein, even for muscle building (.8-1g is the norm)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    catsislife wrote: »
    Low fat diet. 51-20 reps working out on everything(don't go below 15) and bout 2500-3000 calories will make u build muscle n lose fat at same time. 1-1.6 grams protein a day per pound of ur body weight and make sure u get those calories from low fat foods. Cut down on sugar n cut out fries

No.

One doesn't have to eat low fat diet.

The amended rep range is not a standard.

That calorie range has zero validity not knowing the OP's TDEE.

One gram per lb of body weight is plenty of protien, more is not better unless of advanced age.

Sugar and fries do not have to be cut down if macros are in check which OP hasn't stated her macros.

• anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    THIS:

If you have body fat to lose, you don't need to eat extra calories to put on muscle (because your body already has the calories available in fat reserves). I've been doing it myself for the past four months and recomp is working for me.

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member

You should've said "fat" instead of "weight". You CAN lose fat while building muscle but losing weight is very unlikely as you need to be in a calorie surplus. Use pictures and how clothes fit as a measure of progress more than the scale.