Basic bulking/cutting question...

I'm currently 192lbs, and about 20% body fat. Given my best estimates for the look I want my goals right now are about 200lbs and 15% body fat.

What do I need to bulk to before I cut?

Given my basic math skills I have about 38.4 pounds of fat right now, and I'll want to be at about 30 pounds at my final goal... So I already have 8 pounds of fat I know I need to lose, plus whatever else fat I put on training to gain that next 8 pounds of muscle. So my best guess is that I should try and bulk to about 210-215, before cutting? If I can stay at about 20-22% body fat, in cutting that 10-15 pounds at the end I'd be about where I want to? Am I was off, I cant seem to find a straight answer in my online searches.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    If you're really about 20% BF, you'd be better off cutting further down to sub 15%, then bulking slowly. At 20%, you'll likely put on more fat than muscle.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    First time bulking OP? I would cut! 15% is about ideal to begin your bulk. You might can expect notable declines in bulking efficiency when you are in the 20%+
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    It sounds like you believe most it not all of your gains will be muscle. The best you're likely to hope for is a 50/50 split fat/muscle.