Bodybuilding Beginner

Options
ejrod50
ejrod50 Posts: 8 Member
So, I've decided I want to compete as a bodybuilder. I really don't know where exactly to start. I workout about 6-7 times a week and have recently been eating healthy and watching my nutrition (about 5 months). I'm 21 years old, my height is 6'0" and I weigh 198.5; I'm at 12% BF, I'm also following a Intermittent Fasting Diet. My Split consists of:

Sunday - Chest Day

Monday Workout #1 - 30 minutes on eliptical

Monday Workout #2 - Lower Body Day (legs specific)

Tuesday - Shoulders/Lats/Traps

Wednesday Workout #1 - 30 minutes on elliptical

Wednesday Workout #2 - Lower Body (Back Specific)

Thursday - Biceps/Triceps

Friday Workout #1 - 30 minutes on elliptical and some Ab work

Friday Workout #2 - Active Rest Day (Touch up day)

Saturday Workout #1 - 30 minutes on elliptical and Ab work

Saturday Workout #2 - Active Rest Day (Abdominal Workout)

I've made great progress with this, but recently I feel like I've hit a plateau. Where I'm at strength wise:

Bench: 225 lbs for 6 sets of 6
Squat: 405 lbs for 2 reps (315 for 12 reps)
Front Squat: 225 for 6 sets of 6
Deadlift: 425 lbs for 4 reps
Romanian Deadlift: 315 for 6 sets of 8
Power Clean: 225 for 6 reps
Military Press: 135 lbs for 8 reps

I really want to grow, but I also don't want to get overly bulky. Any pointers are welcome! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. In all of that you have one leg day that's "back specific" (whatever that means, leg day isn't back day)?
    2. You want to be a bodybuilder, but you don't want to get overly bulky?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A COMPETITIVE bodybuilder "bulks" up to put on more mass. If you're not willing to do that, then I'm not sure you want to be a competitive body builder. Just look like one maybe.
    Also there's no volume reps in your training. Normally we're talking 16-24 sets per body part with an 8-12 rep range to encourage hypertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ejrod50 wrote: »
    I really want to grow, but I also don't want to get overly bulky. Any pointers are welcome! Thanks everyone!

That does not compute with "I've decided I want to compete as a bodybuilder". Have you ever seen an actual bodybuilder? Do you know what they look like? If you're not "overly bulky", you'll get laughed off the stage.

Did you maybe mean you want to compete in the Men's Physique division? They're not as bulky as bodybuilders, but still bigger and more ripped than about 99% of guys you see walking around on the street.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    IF isn't a diet. It's a meal timing schedule - if that suits you, do it, but if you're trying to eat a calorie surplus to grow you may struggle to fit your calories within a restricted eating window.

And... What the others have said. To compete, you need to spend time growing so that when you're comp lean you have muscle to show. This will involve periods of looking bulky. If you just want a year round decent physique, don't get in to competing.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    1. In all of that you have one leg day that's "back specific" (whatever that means, leg day isn't back day)?

My bad, you do have two leg days. Do you follow a program, this isn't one I recognize. If you have plateaued you're either not eating enough or your programming is not appropriate for your goals. My guess is a combination of the two and you're doing cardio before you lift (for your goals this is going to hurt progress, not help it).
  • ejrod50
    ejrod50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

My bad, you do have two leg days. Do you follow a program, this isn't one I recognize. If you have plateaued you're either not eating enough or your programming is not appropriate for your goals. My guess is a combination of the two and you're doing cardio before you lift (for your goals this is going to hurt progress, not help it).

I think it's that I'm not eating enough, I never seem to meet my caloric goals. Any tips on fitting all the food in my stomach? Haha :#
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, pizza, cheesecake.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    post a pic of a bodybuilder you would want to look like.
  • AmyGerard12
    AmyGerard12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good plan
  • xaos100
    xaos100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drop the cardio and add a second workout per bodypart
  • deekande
    deekande Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is 58 to old to start body building. Where do you start?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Good plan
    Not for bodybuilding.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    deekande wrote: »
    Is 58 to old to start body building. Where do you start?
    No, however results won't be as great due to reduced testosterone due to age.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    So you are training everything besides legs once a week. You need to add a second training session per body part and not so much cardio.