Seeking support and motivation for grandmothers trying to get healthy and fit

Are there other grandmothers out there trying to lose weight and get fit & healthy? I'd love to hear from you. I love my grandchildren and want to get fit and healthy so I can do even more with them.

Replies

• Sunnyme333
    Sunnyme333 Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2017
    yap! I would like to get fit for the grand kids as well. Fibromyalgia has slowed me down some this past year. Just got done with PT and now I'm on my own with workouts at home. Had to set up lower step goals. Watch out stationary bike here I come. :) Journal food each morning with MFP has become a habit. Now I just want to stick to what I record. B)
  • missKmorgan
    missKmorgan Posts: 19 Member
    My bike is fast becoming my best friend! :) I ride it because my feet ache when I am on them too long so the treadmill isn't such a great option for me. Years ago I had them looked at and the x-rays showed arthritis.
    I'm really trying to stick to logging in MFP. Working on week 3 now and feel much better physically already. Still a long ways to go though.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Me too. I have two kids and 7 grandkids that I love to do things with, but sometimes I find my energy level holding me back. I babysit the 8 month old and 3 year old 2-4 times a week and need to be in great shape to keep up with them. I just started logging a couple weeks ago and already I've lost weight, started exercising, and feel better. I'm aiming to lose 50 lbs. Last time I did this I lost 30 lbs which was a start, but I gained it all back again when I got lacidasical. I can relate to Sunny's fibromyalgia as I had it for many years after I turned 40, but fortunately for me mine subsided completely about 10 years ago. I'm not big on heavy exercise but do yoga and Pilates from my home. I concentrate more on logging and sticking to it.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time in April 2018. Does that count??? :)
    It's definitely a challenge when your 58 and everything hurts but the alternative is way worse.
    I started on MFP in April and have lost almost 60 lbs so far..... about 70lbs to go.
    I'd love some like minded/aged friends to share the journey with!! :)
  • Sunnyme333
    bikecheryl, that counts in my book. You will have ahead start.

Sorry I was MIA yesterday. Was overwhelmed with the SHOULD'S yesterday actually I think it's been going on longer than just yesterday . Ate to much junk food. On the bright side DH and I took walk at a park and I walked farther than last time.

This morning taking stock of what's been going on and regrouping. Going to take action to lessen my stress. Stepped on scale and accept where the #'s are. Food is not the problem (forgetting to take care of myself and sayin yes when I should say no is.) my affirmation for today is all about being brave. Yap! Just what I needed. Okay! look out bike here I come! :#B)
  • missKmorgan
    missKmorgan Posts: 19 Member
    Being a grandmother is so much fun! Sounds like you are doing really well at reaching your goals. Good for you!

One of my main motives is to get healthy and fit so I can show horses with my daughter and granddaughter. I am finding the scales can be discouraging but the fit of my clothes and energy level are improving daily.

What do others find to be most encouraging?

• ThatsmyGrandma
    ThatsmyGrandma Posts: 4 Member
    Yes ma'am I plan on being around a long time for my grandbabies. I want to get fit and healthy so I can play, and do things they want. I don't remember my grandma playing with us ever, and I want the grands and MUCH later great grands to remember us doing fun activities.
  • ThatsmyGrandma
    Sunnyme333 wrote: »

Sorry I was MIA yesterday. Was overwhelmed with the SHOULD'S yesterday actually I think it's been going on longer than just yesterday . Ate to much junk food. On the bright side DH and I took walk at a park and I walked farther than last time.

This morning taking stock of what's been going on and regrouping. Going to take action to lessen my stress. Stepped on scale and accept where the #'s are. Food is not the problem (forgetting to take care of myself and sayin yes when I should say no is.) my affirmation for today is all about being brave. Yap! Just what I needed. Okay! look out bike here I come! :#B)

• ThatsmyGrandma
    Good way to go about having an off day. Take it one day at a time. Each day is a new BEGINING, we have to chance to be mistake free. A slip up is going to happen after all we are "human".
  • Sunnyme333
    Thanks friends.
    One of the best times with grandson was playing( stuck in the mud) we would pretend his animals were stuck in the mud so we would get all he toys with wheels and use them to rescue them. we did this on my big desk. This was one way I could play with him without being on the floor to do it.
    2 years ago I had a water fight with him and grand daughter. What fun! They also loved playing in a container of rice, using cups and match box toys,ect..

• Sunnyme333
    A friend gave me a magnetlast night that says : DON'T LET YESTERDAY USE UP TOO MUCH OF TODAY!" ;):) Isn't that a great reminder.
  • theworldone
    theworldone Posts: 2 Member
    1g7va2x5sge8.png
    14 grands and I'm committed to getting and staying healthy so I can see them all graduate from college and giving me great grandchildren!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    See if you can find @luluinca She is a grandmother (and grandmother to be) and one of my most inspirational and supportive MFP friends. If I am 67 (her age) I want to be like her - except for the grandmother part as I have no children ;)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    65 and a Grandma
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    It didn’t post everything I typed but send me a request if you want support. Here everyday
  • Sunnyme333
    edited October 2017
    Sunnyme333 wrote: »

IT'S A NEW DAY!

• Sunnyme333
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT :smile:

"I have many options and always make
    the best choices for myself."

I think this can apply to many areas of our lifes.
    Whether it's food choices, to exercise or not (let's face it somedays are harder to get moving than others :) ) I have even had to decide who to call friend. I'm sure we could think of more ways this might apply. Don't let the word always throw you. We are not perfect so we will slip and slide in this area. We just do our best.

thanks for letting me share.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Grandmother and 70 years old. Still trying
  • Sunnyme333
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT :smile:
    "I EMBRACE MY FEARS FULLY AND CALMLY."
    Had a busy weekend with grandkid's. Not sure what the scale will read. So Look out scale here I come. "It will be what it will be !!" :):#
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Hello all. I'm a grandmother, and have been on MFP for over five years. One of those grandchildren is a whirling dervish and I need to keep up! I lost quite a bit over the first two years, kept it off for quite a while, but over the last couple of years have put some back on, so I'm here looking for support and motivation to get on with it again. I know tracking and daily weigh ins work for me. Time to put it into practice again. I'd welcome some new, active, MFP friends.