Stressss

memegirl77
memegirl77 Posts: 18 Member
I have a fairly simple life but due to certain circumstances I get stressed easily. My go-to is food. I am trying to replace the sweets with fruit but gave in yesterday. I don't feel shameful or guilty about it though. I see it as learning a trigger and being aware of what is going on. I need a new go-to.

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    It's about habits. Switching to fruit is good. I'm convinced it's processed carbs we crave when we emotionally eat. It will be hard for a few days but if you cut out the processed stuff you'll be healthier and happier.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    When I read your title - stresses, I realized that I just had become stressed dealing with someone. So I just took some deep breaths. Helped a little and coming here and posting should help too before reaching for food (maybe)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    Same. I saw the title and also have someone in my life thats dealing me a lot of stress at a time of grief, my mother died just last summer. I don't feel able to deal with this person, It's like I can't even think of what to say to him anymore.
  • memegirl77
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    It's about habits. Switching to fruit is good. I'm convinced it's processed carbs we crave when we emotionally eat. It will be hard for a few days but if you cut out the processed stuff you'll be healthier and happier.

I have purchased some fruit and veggies to eat. It has helped. Also, taking deep breaths and relaxing some before I eat helps me gain focus and do as I should. Thank you for your comment.
  • memegirl77
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Same. I saw the title and also have someone in my life thats dealing me a lot of stress at a time of grief, my mother died just last summer. I don't feel able to deal with this person, It's like I can't even think of what to say to him anymore.

I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I have found having access to easy to eat fruit and veggies is good for me. Also, refocusing before I eat is good. I may take some deep breaths or say a little prayer, it has worked so far. Sometimes we have to remove people from out lives, even if it is tough, in order to be able to grow.
  • memegirl77
    When I read your title - stresses, I realized that I just had become stressed dealing with someone. So I just took some deep breaths. Helped a little and coming here and posting should help too before reaching for food (maybe)

The deep breaths help me too. It gives me a minute to refocus and be back in more control of myself.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2017
    memegirl77 wrote: »
    I have a fairly simple life but due to certain circumstances I get stressed easily. My go-to is food. I am trying to replace the sweets with fruit but gave in yesterday. I don't feel shameful or guilty about it though. I see it as learning a trigger and being aware of what is going on. I need a new go-to.

This sounds like me. I realized I could change my eating habits by eating mostly whole, unprocessed foods, and this helps some. But really I have to change my emotional response to stress.

I'm slowly learning to watch my thoughts when I feel any stress and notice what triggered it. Then I can choose to think something different. I like your thoughts on breathing and centering, these help me help too!
  • pkmasonsimmons
    pkmasonsimmons Posts: 1 Member
    New member...stressssssss...I 'm a mess...not enough words to explain...short story...after losing 60 lbs and keeping off for about 1 yr. Off....stresssss and 10 lbs on...I know it and starting to work on it...glad to have some where to distract the old habits.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    memegirl77 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »

I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I have found having access to easy to eat fruit and veggies is good for me. Also, refocusing before I eat is good. I may take some deep breaths or say a little prayer, it has worked so far. Sometimes we have to remove people from out lives, even if it is tough, in order to be able to grow.
    Thank you. I think what you say is so helpful, fruit and veg is healthy and provides a lot of comfort without guilt. Deep breaths and prayer definately works wonders.
    The person in question just sort of changed. It has been for the best. I think by my not doing anything but just being honest without confronting or talking about my feelings of the situation was the right thing. I'm surprized, it usually doesn't work that way.