Fitness Trackers and Body Building

Options
Does anyone use a fitness tracker to assess their Maintenance, Bulking, and/or Cutting calorie requirements?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I wear one, but it's in no way accurate when it comes to my actual TDEE.
    It usually reports my daily calorie burns between 2000-2400, but I'm eating 2800+ and maintaining my weight.

I look at how my body responds at a certain calorie amount and adjust accordingly. If I know I'm maintaining on this amount and wanted to cut, I would simply drop a reasonable amount of calories, monitor my body's response, and adjust accordingly.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I used to think that my FitBit was fairly accurate at predicting my TDEE however in the last few months I have found that the figure on the FitBit is hugely overestimated.
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to think that my FitBit was fairly accurate at predicting my TDEE however in the last few months I have found that the figure on the FitBit is hugely overestimated.

Thanks, that's the conclusion I'm coming to as well. I've had a FB for well over 2 years (after I lost 60lbs) and although there's a lot of good things it does for me, accurately calculating my TDEE doesn't appear to be one of them. My average TDEE is approximately 3000 a day according to FB (57 year old male, 195lbs, desk job, 11K steps daily and weights 3x a week), however accurate logging and trendweight is indicating that it overestimates TDEE by around 500 calories. More time will tell for sure.