Weight lifting calorie burn question,help please.

So I've been doing a dumbell and kettlebell lifting routine. I'm 160lbs did it for 60 minutes, I was challenging myself but I could finish my sets with effort. 3 sets of ten for arms, 3 sets of 6 for legs, and was sweating when I was done. Fit bit calorie burn which was set on weights as exercise says 313 calories. Does this seem right? It's hard to judge with online calculators they all seem to give me something different, and I'm not sure what intensity to consider it. Just don't want it to tell me I'm burning more than I actually am.

Thanks for any info.

Replies

• jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Nothing can accurately tell you what your burn, if you're trying to lose weight, your calories should be set you're overall activity in and out of the gym.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    jaymie_x0 wrote: »
    Nothing can accurately tell you what your burn, if you're trying to lose weight, your calories should be set you're overall activity in and out of the gym.

I don't need accurate, but I would still like a rough number. My overall activity changes day to day and my calorie burn does as well so even if it's a rough number I still like to keep up with it. I eat back my exercise calories so I want to get as close as I can to not going over my deficit. I want to know if the calorie burn is ball park or too high because if it's too high on that it might be logging to high on other things and since it syncs with my fitbit and MFP then I want to make sure it is working correctly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Fit bit calorie burn which was set on weights as exercise says 313 calories. Does this seem right?
    Sounds reasonable.

Reasonable estimates + consistency + plus making calorie balance adjustments based on results wins in the end. :)
  • Grimmerick
    sijomial wrote: »
    Fit bit calorie burn which was set on weights as exercise says 313 calories. Does this seem right?
    Sounds reasonable.

Reasonable estimates + consistency + plus making calorie balance adjustments based on results wins in the end. :)

Perfect thank you! I refuse to be neurotic about it but I def wanna at least be ball park.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Maybe? Did you just do 6 total sets, or did you do numerous lifts for arms @ 3x10 and numerous lifts for legs @ 3x6?

If the former, then 313 doesn't sound right. If the latter, then reasonable. Like sijomial mentioned - make adjustments, as necessary.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    This website provides calories burned for various activities including weight training.

nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm
  • Grimmerick
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Maybe? Did you just do 6 total sets, or did you do numerous lifts for arms @ 3x10 and numerous lifts for legs @ 3x6?

If the former, then 313 doesn't sound right. If the latter, then reasonable. Like sijomial mentioned - make adjustments, as necessary.

I did 3 sets of 10 reps (for arms and back) and 3 sets of 6 reps (for legs), at the heaviest weight I could (dumb bells permitting) I was able to complete the sets by the 3rd with effort and I was definitely sweating.
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    Lean59man wrote: »
    This website provides calories burned for various activities including weight training.

nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

Thank you I tried a couple of those first but couldn't decide what my intensity should be and some of them gave me very different totals. I will give your recommendation a shot. Thanks!
  • Lean59man
    edited October 2017
    If you weight train for an hour you should be doing anywhere from 20-30 sets assuming rest between sets of 1-3 minutes.

6 totals sets therefore take not more than 30 minutes even taking 3 minutes rests.
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    If you weight train for an hour you should be doing anywhere from 20-30 sets assuming rest between sets of 2-3 minutes.

6 totals sets therefore take not more than 30 minutes.

ha I know you are right on this, but I should explain, I do this with about 3-4 other middle aged women we share some of the weights and just started out so we are still settling into our routine and the logistics of it. We do about 11 different exercises at 3 sets of sometimes 6 and sometimes 10 reps.
  • Lean59man
    edited October 2017
    If you weight train for an hour you should be doing anywhere from 20-30 sets assuming rest between sets of 2-3 minutes.

ha I know you are right on this, but I should explain, I do this with about 3-4 other middle aged women we share some of the weights and just started out so we are still settling into our routine and the logistics of it. We do about 11 different exercises at 3 sets of sometimes 6 and sometimes 10 reps.

Ok, so you are doing 30+ sets total which should get you the same calories burn as doing 20-30 sets in an hour as long your sets are really somewhat difficult for you.

You still have to do the same amount of work even though it will take you longer. It might take you 2 hours to do it to burn the same as working quickly in 1 hour.

You still have to do your 20-30 sets in total. Understand? And the sets have to be difficult.

This workout must take you a couple hours to finish with 4 people. That's like a set every 5 minutes.

The total work is what counts. Keep a notebook. Add up the total weight you have lifted in your workout and keep track of it. As long as you keep increasing your total tonnage over time per workout you are increasing your intensity.

Example:

3 sets of 10 dumbbell presses with 10 lbs = 300 lbs. + all the other weight exercises you do

Hopefully you can use whatever dumbbells you can handle and not use whatever the weakest person in your group is limited to.

Have fun with it.

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member

I don't need accurate, but I would still like a rough number. My overall activity changes day to day and my calorie burn does as well so even if it's a rough number I still like to keep up with it. I eat back my exercise calories so I want to get as close as I can to not going over my deficit. I want to know if the calorie burn is ball park or too high because if it's too high on that it might be logging to high on other things and since it syncs with my fitbit and MFP then I want to make sure it is working correctly.

Just remember. In that hour, you were going to burn X number of calories if you weren't weight lifting and just sitting around. That's because your body burns a set number of calories no matter what all day. Take your BMR and divide by 24 and you can get an estimate on how many calories your burning in that hour. For instance, I am tall and my BMR is roughly around 1650. So, I am burning 60-70 calories every hour. So, in your case, if you're eating back your exercise calories, take that 313 and subtract it by those 70 calories and you should be ok to eat that 240 back.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Except that's not the way MFP works.
    Perhaps almost every other site.
    And MFP can be tweaked to work that way too - but considering the question, I'd assume not being done in this case.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So I've been doing a dumbell and kettlebell lifting routine. I'm 160lbs did it for 60 minutes, I was challenging myself but I could finish my sets with effort. 3 sets of ten for arms, 3 sets of 6 for legs, and was sweating when I was done. Fit bit calorie burn which was set on weights as exercise says 313 calories. Does this seem right? It's hard to judge with online calculators they all seem to give me something different, and I'm not sure what intensity to consider it. Just don't want it to tell me I'm burning more than I actually am.

Thanks for any info.

Through some testing with someone, found out Fitbit changed their method on the devices where you can select Weights - it's not totally by HR only (which would be inflated because wrong use of HR-based calculations) anymore.

They seem to use the database set calorie burn per minute, with the amount of rest it could see determining which style of Weights you were doing, normal, circuit, ect, or perhaps even better, a sliding scale between them.

• Grimmerick

Ok, so you are doing 30+ sets total which should get you the same calories burn as doing 20-30 sets in an hour as long your sets are really somewhat difficult for you.

You still have to do the same amount of work even though it will take you longer. It might take you 2 hours to do it to burn the same as working quickly in 1 hour.

You still have to do your 20-30 sets in total. Understand? And the sets have to be difficult.

This workout must take you a couple hours to finish with 4 people. That's like a set every 5 minutes.

The total work is what counts. Keep a notebook. Add up the total weight you have lifted in your workout and keep track of it. As long as you keep increasing your total tonnage over time per workout you are increasing your intensity.

Example:

3 sets of 10 dumbbell presses with 10 lbs = 300 lbs. + all the other weight exercises you do

Hopefully you can use whatever dumbbells you can handle and not use whatever the weakest person in your group is limited to.

Have fun with it.

Thank you, I just bought a book by Brett Contreras and Kellie Davis to help me too. I work out with the girls at work so they will do something other than cardio, but I have a bench and weights at home now (gotta love craigslist) so I figured I could get a more thorough workout there and just do it with the girls to keep them from doing the same cardio stuff over and over. So it's a little slower but I definitely lift as heavy as I can to where I can finish the sets but with effort. Luckily I am able to use heavier dumbbells so I usually have my own for our workouts. Your info about the total work and keeping a notebook is helpful and thanks for taking the time to break it down.
  • Grimmerick
    heybales wrote: »

Thanks for any info.

Through some testing with someone, found out Fitbit changed their method on the devices where you can select Weights - it's not totally by HR only (which would be inflated because wrong use of HR-based calculations) anymore.

They seem to use the database set calorie burn per minute, with the amount of rest it could see determining which style of Weights you were doing, normal, circuit, ect, or perhaps even better, a sliding scale between them.

That's interesting thank you, I do make sure I set it to weights and tighten down the band for my workout.
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member

Just remember. In that hour, you were going to burn X number of calories if you weren't weight lifting and just sitting around. That's because your body burns a set number of calories no matter what all day. Take your BMR and divide by 24 and you can get an estimate on how many calories your burning in that hour. For instance, I am tall and my BMR is roughly around 1650. So, I am burning 60-70 calories every hour. So, in your case, if you're eating back your exercise calories, take that 313 and subtract it by those 70 calories and you should be ok to eat that 240 back.

This is an answer that I have been looking for, thank you!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    I use 250kcal for an hour of weightlifting.
  • anitalynnredd
    anitalynnredd Posts: 1 Member
    Congrats to you and the other ladies sharing the weights. Keep up the good work.