Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    ^^absolute pure speculation on the more fat loss
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I just ordered some from Amazon. Thanks!
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Nony_Mouse, definite difference I can see!

@VintageFeline, very lucky that you've got no issues with loose skin. I have bad ones on my tummy because of pregnancy weight gain. Incidentally, I love that lifting thread with the progress pics you posted. So inspirational.

For those who lift, how "clean" must your diet be? Are macros really important in order to see real results? I've seen a couple of comments in that thread about clean diets. This would be my downfall/impediment to any lifting program I do - at this stage, I don't think I can last very long with eating "clean" (by that, I assume no junk food??).

• maybyn
    @Nony_Mouse, @livingleanlivingclean, thanks for the replies and good to know about flexibility.

I'm okay with moderation most of the time but not quite 80/20 yet, more like 70/30 and very cautious with trying to improve as that leads to more binges.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    maybyn wrote: »

@VintageFeline, very lucky that you've got no issues with loose skin. I have bad ones on my tummy because of pregnancy weight gain. Incidentally, I love that lifting thread with the progress pics you posted. So inspirational.

For those who lift, how "clean" must your diet be? Are macros really important in order to see real results? I've seen a couple of comments in that thread about clean diets. This would be my downfall/impediment to any lifting program I do - at this stage, I don't think I can last very long with eating "clean" (by that, I assume no junk food??).

Thank you! I have way more recent progress than that but I'm kind of holding out for "switch to recomp" update and then a year after that "progress/results so far of recomp". I've no kids, not having any and didn't spend much time at my highest weight, mostly hung out as overweight as an adult so I think that massively helps along with lucky genetics. Weird thing is my mum is obese but has no stretch marks. So I didn't get those genes.

As for macros and "clean" eating, I'll echo the above. I don't worry a jot about it, I don't have the head space for all that unnecessary hooha. I hit my protein, get enough fat because it's important for hormones and nutrient absorption and let my carbs fall where they making sure I get some starch in my day because I need it for workouts and satiety. I eat plenty of so called junk and convenience foods, I have to really, I live alone and am not always safe to cook beyond the microwave.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    @Nony_Mouse, @livingleanlivingclean, thanks for the replies and good to know about flexibility.

I'm okay with moderation most of the time but not quite 80/20 yet, more like 70/30 and very cautious with trying to improve as that leads to more binges.

I don't even think about percentages... The less I stress about food the better!
  • maybyn

I don't even think about percentages... The less I stress about food the better!

So true. I used % to give a sense of what I've been eating, I don't stick to it everyday (some days can be all nutrient dense foods, other days I only have them for breakfast and "junk" for the rest of the day and yet other days where all my pre-planning can be thrown out of the window because I just feel like eating something else, clean or junk!).

Thank you! I have way more recent progress than that but I'm kind of holding out for "switch to recomp" update and then a year after that "progress/results so far of recomp". I've no kids, not having any and didn't spend much time at my highest weight, mostly hung out as overweight as an adult so I think that massively helps along with lucky genetics. Weird thing is my mum is obese but has no stretch marks. So I didn't get those genes.

As for macros and "clean" eating, I'll echo the above. I don't worry a jot about it, I don't have the head space for all that unnecessary hooha. I hit my protein, get enough fat because it's important for hormones and nutrient absorption and let my carbs fall where they making sure I get some starch in my day because I need it for workouts and satiety. I eat plenty of so called junk and convenience foods, I have to really, I live alone and am not always safe to cook beyond the microwave.

Thanks! Would love to see your progress update when you're ready!

I may get brave one day and post it here too :)
  • Nony_Mouse

So true. I used % to give a sense of what I've been eating, I don't stick to it everyday (some days can be all nutrient dense foods, other days I only have them for breakfast and "junk" for the rest of the day and yet other days where all my pre-planning can be thrown out of the window because I just feel like eating something else, clean or junk!).

Yeah I don't worry about percentages either. Normally it's mostly 'whole nutritious foods', just because, but today already I've had two nut protein bars and two 15g dark chocolate minis, b/c a) PMS, and b) self soothing post bee sting. This is also why diet break may be starting a day early...either that or I need to completely rethink dinner. And probably still have to go for a walk.

It also occurs to me (at nearly 4.30 on Friday afternoon) that I have put no thought into this weekend's food, because not doing refeed. I probably will go carb heavy tomorrow though, just to bump up my glycogen stores for hiking.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm probably going to start refeed tomorrow. I'm hungry basically but also having what I think/am fairly certain is a new pattern for me. Bi-monthly mental meds interacting with BC and just my general hormones (because on ovary hates me, I've always had bi-monthly differences). A week of horrible fatigue and general feeling off, early cramps (pill break doesn't start till Thursday), headaches, sleep all over the place demonstrated by me being awake at 3.30am and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting.

So tomorrow, carbs, give me all the carbs. Of course I'm also in peak mental hermit mode with the clock change making the SAD kick in full force which triggers a bunch of other stuff. But I need to actually go and get carbs. Bloody brain.

Waffling over.
  • Nony_Mouse
    I'm probably going to start refeed tomorrow. I'm hungry basically but also having what I think/am fairly certain is a new pattern for me. Bi-monthly mental meds interacting with BC and just my general hormones (because on ovary hates me, I've always had bi-monthly differences). A week of horrible fatigue and general feeling off, early cramps (pill break doesn't start till Thursday), headaches, sleep all over the place demonstrated by me being awake at 3.30am and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting.

So tomorrow, carbs, give me all the carbs. Of course I'm also in peak mental hermit mode with the clock change making the SAD kick in full force which triggers a bunch of other stuff. But I need to actually go and get carbs. Bloody brain.

Waffling over.

Wondered what you were doing up in the middle of the night.

I am now having Greek yoghurt and tinned peaches for dinner (this is actually a huge bowl, and will help with my sweet cravings). And walk will be to the supermarket to get a couple of things plus cash for veggie market tomorrow morning.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Deficit rescued, huzzah!! I may still eat some of it, and I'm being recalcitrant and not logging the piece of dried fruit and four almonds that I had as I left the supermarket.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Leeg5656 wrote: »

I agree with everything you just said and it mirrors my thought process of what dieting was about. My deficit is at 1200 also to loose between 1.0 - 1.5 calories per week. When I did my DB, I set my maintenance a 1750. I gained 2# the first week and kept it there the second week, but 3 days at eating at deficit again, it is gone. Good luck to you!

Thanks @Leeg5656 That's helpful to know. Much appreciated.

Well, I just got back from a busy day to check what was happening in the Refeeds thread...75 new updates for me to read lol!
    Oh my gosh all the talk of thighs brought back my teenage days spent poring over the book Thin Thighs in Thirty Days in the hope it was going to magically transform me. I haven't achieved those thin thighs in thirty years. I suspect it ain't happenin' in the next thirty either. :p

And @Nony_Mouse you look awesome in those photos. Congrats on your progress!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

I have just the thread for you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503952/bro-do-you-even-eat-clean/p1
  • Nony_Mouse
    Thanks @JoLightensUp :), and yep, we've been chatty!

I'm just planning my first full day hike of the season (and first full day since blowing my knee). Baseline food is logged, though I suspect I've under-estimated. I based it on the lower end of how long it should take, and previous TDEEs for similar hikes time-wise. I'll have extra food anyway, because I always plan for being stuck in the bush for the night. My usual strategy with hike food (mostly nut protein bars and chocolate) is to just count the wrappers when I get home so I can log them :p It's going to be a golden sunny day, so I should get some awesome photos from 1100m up!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Oh and for anyone interested, this page shows the elevation profile of the hike down the bottom :D

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTA0NDA=