Best bulking workout?

Options
I am your ordinary skinny guy, wanting to bulk, I'm 5'11 68kg and want to be 78kg in a year! I'm eating good to put on weight and bulk through the winter but can someone give a run down of the best bulking workout to do with Reps and sets! Thank you in advance

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There really is not best routine... there is a routine that suits your needs and addresses your experience.

How long you been lifting?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Read the threads above and be realistic. Gaining 10kg in a year is going to mean a lot of fat gain.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good morning! So, really hard to answer specific to you. The general answer is:

1. EAT!!!!!!!!
    2. Find a training program that works for you

So, you need to know your maintenance (caloric intake where you neither gain weight nor loose weight) as a start. You can get this information from a TDEE Calculator (TDEE = BMR + NEAT + PA + TEF - as an exercise for you look these things up....these things will help you a ton....tdee = total daily energy expenditure and bmr = basal metabolic rate and neat = non-exercise activity thermogenesis and pa = physical activity and tef = thermic effect of food.....just to help you out with the "alphabet soup").

And, to be very clear.....the use of an on-line TDEE calculator (or, BMR tool.....MFP has a BMR tool) should be viewed as a good starting point....but just that - a starting point. You would then need to play with nutrition to find your specific and unique number.

Once you know your maintenance you can determine the amount of caloric surplus (to gain 1lb of body weight you need to exceed your maintenance by 500 calories a day - translated to one week, that is 3,500 calories above maintenance).

When you find out your caloric intake needs, you break this down to your macros (proteins, carbs, fats).

68kgs is pretty much dead on 150lbs (I lived in Germany for several years after College so I am very familiar with cm and kgs).

So, you would likely want to consume roughly 150g of Protein each day. The rest would be a Carb | Fats split. Maybe a good starting point there is 60% | 40% (carbs to fats)? Or, maybe consider .35g of fats per pound of body weight (so, for you, 53g Fat) and the rest carbs? You can work on that......there is a start.

Keep in mind that macros break down as follows:

1g Protein = 4 Calories
    1g Carbs = 4 Calories
    1g Fats = 9 Calories

So, if you were to consume (and totally making this number up) 2,900 Calories a day and you did the 150g of Protein and the 53g of fat that would be:

150g Protein X 4 = 600 Calories
    53g Fat X 9 = 477 Calories

2,900 (total calories)
    -600 (protein calories)
    -477 (fats calories)
    ===============

1,823 Calories (for Carbs)

1,823 / 4 = 456g Carbs

And, of course, then there are a ton of Programs out there. Progressive Overload is the key phrase there. And, lifting heavy. Lots and lots like the 5x5 programs (or, the 5x3 or the 8x3 programs). Strong Lifts is such a program. There are many others (just check out those links). But, that all depends on you. What works for you. Some folks like to train more than three or four days a week. Should you do that (train more frequently)? All depends on you. If you are new to training, absolutely not. If you are intermediate, not likely by maybe? Recovery is a big part of this game.

Anyway, maybe this helps you to narrow things down. Or, maybe it throws a ton of information at you for which you are not ready. Hopefully all of this information helps to guide you and to focus on the terms | concepts you might be well served to give some focus.

Anyway, hope that this helps you.....
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    checkout r/fitness on reddit. Good resource for training and nutrition.
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    There really is not best routine... there is a routine that suits your needs and addresses your experience.

4 years
  • kayemali
    Options
    Good morning! So, really hard to answer specific to you. The general answer is:

1. EAT!!!!!!!!
    2. Find a training program that works for you

So, you need to know your maintenance (caloric intake where you neither gain weight nor loose weight) as a start. You can get this information from a TDEE Calculator (TDEE = BMR + NEAT + PA + TEF - as an exercise for you look these things up....these things will help you a ton....tdee = total daily energy expenditure and bmr = basal metabolic rate and neat = non-exercise activity thermogenesis and pa = physical activity and tef = thermic effect of food.....just to help you out with the "alphabet soup").

And, to be very clear.....the use of an on-line TDEE calculator (or, BMR tool.....MFP has a BMR tool) should be viewed as a good starting point....but just that - a starting point. You would then need to play with nutrition to find your specific and unique number.

Once you know your maintenance you can determine the amount of caloric surplus (to gain 1lb of body weight you need to exceed your maintenance by 500 calories a day - translated to one week, that is 3,500 calories above maintenance).

When you find out your caloric intake needs, you break this down to your macros (proteins, carbs, fats).

68kgs is pretty much dead on 150lbs (I lived in Germany for several years after College so I am very familiar with cm and kgs).

So, you would likely want to consume roughly 150g of Protein each day. The rest would be a Carb | Fats split. Maybe a good starting point there is 60% | 40% (carbs to fats)? Or, maybe consider .35g of fats per pound of body weight (so, for you, 53g Fat) and the rest carbs? You can work on that......there is a start.

Keep in mind that macros break down as follows:

1g Protein = 4 Calories
    1g Carbs = 4 Calories
    1g Fats = 9 Calories

So, if you were to consume (and totally making this number up) 2,900 Calories a day and you did the 150g of Protein and the 53g of fat that would be:

150g Protein X 4 = 600 Calories
    53g Fat X 9 = 477 Calories

2,900 (total calories)
    -600 (protein calories)
    -477 (fats calories)
    ===============

1,823 Calories (for Carbs)

1,823 / 4 = 456g Carbs

And, of course, then there are a ton of Programs out there. Progressive Overload is the key phrase there. And, lifting heavy. Lots and lots like the 5x5 programs (or, the 5x3 or the 8x3 programs). Strong Lifts is such a program. There are many others (just check out those links). But, that all depends on you. What works for you. Some folks like to train more than three or four days a week. Should you do that (train more frequently)? All depends on you. If you are new to training, absolutely not. If you are intermediate, not likely by maybe? Recovery is a big part of this game.

Anyway, maybe this helps you to narrow things down. Or, maybe it throws a ton of information at you for which you are not ready. Hopefully all of this information helps to guide you and to focus on the terms | concepts you might be well served to give some focus.

Anyway, hope that this helps you.....

Thanks man your post was very very helpful! Defo gona use it! I done 5x5 before but I don't think I eat enough at time so barely grew, I think I'm gona incorperate it some how cause I love going gym like 6 days a week

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kayemali wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

4 years

Look into programs like PHAT, PH3 or PHUL. They are good programs.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You are welcome....always glad to help.
  • kayemali
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I suspect that your not into powerlifting, but more bodybuilding, so here's one I recommend since I have used it and enjoyed it. https://aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

I might have to give this a go
  • PntBttrLVR
    PntBttrLVR Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Read the threads above and be realistic. Gaining 10kg in a year is going to mean a lot of fat gain.

Most reputable sources on muscle gain say that your first year of putting on muscle you can gain between 20-25lbs so I'm not sure how 22lbs in a year would equate to "a lot of fat gain"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    PntBttrLVR wrote: »

Most reputable sources on muscle gain say that your first year of putting on muscle you can gain between 20-25lbs so I'm not sure how 22lbs in a year would equate to "a lot of fat gain"

If you read those sources a little deeper (and if they're truly reputable), they'll also mention that you gain muscle and fat at around a 1:1 ratio (under optimal conditions, for a natural lifter). So if you gain between 20-25 lbs of muscle in your first year, you're also going to gain 20-25 lbs of fat.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    PntBttrLVR wrote: »

He said he's been lifting for four years; no noob gains.