Hard gainer

Ok im at around 180 naked....i wanna put on another 20 to 25 lbs worth of bulk and then go on a cut...my problem is im a hard gainer....i eat and eat but hit a plateu and i cant gain no more....i know ima be told to eat more but how can i when i eat to the point of being nauseous at the end of the day....i use no protein supplements or mass gainers....are they even worth the money?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    open your diary

how many calories are you currently eating and how many more do you need?
  • jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    open your diary

I havent kept up logging in my calories....mfp says i shpuld be intaking over 3k calories but i surpassed that and am easily over 4k
  • jcstevens86
    open your diary

I havent kept up logging in my calories....mfp says i shpuld be intaking over 3k calories but i surpassed that and am easily over 4k

if you're not logging then you probably aren't eating the amount you think.

I eat pretty much the same things and i even weigh my foods....i write down my intake on paper just havent logged it in mfp
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    How tall are you?

• ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Are you doing intense cardio? Sprinting?HIIT? You might be burning too many calories and not eating enough to be at a caloric surplus. If you're not gaining you're not at a surplus.
  • jcstevens86
    Im 6ft....and i do very to little cardio
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    What is your current macro split?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I'm disappointed nobody has said peanut butter is always the answer yet :disappointed:
  • TavistockToad
    open your diary

if you're not logging then you probably aren't eating the amount you think.

I eat pretty much the same things and i even weigh my foods....i write down my intake on paper just havent logged it in mfp

An example of a normal day would be useful.

And yes, the answer is always peanut butter & full fat dairy!
  • TavistockToad
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm disappointed nobody has said peanut butter is always the answer yet :disappointed:

I'm disappointed in myself....
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    If you aren't gaining, eat more. Repeat until you're ready to cut. Then if you aren't losing, eat less

No need to overcomplicate things

Edit: This simplification is based on the assumption you are eating sufficient protein and have a solid training program in place
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    open your diary

If you are eating well beyond 3k calories MFP gave you to gain weight and not gaining weight, something is off. Way too much activity, or how about you really are not eating 3k like you think.

And yes, peanut butter and full fat diary is always the answer.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    edited October 2017
    Buy some protein powder and start mixing it in shakes with raw oatmeal (rolled/old-fashioned), olive oil, whole milk, peanut butter, and fruit. Altogether it should be about 1000 calories. Don't chug the thing; just take your time and a couple of hours later you should be able to eat a meal.

Also, work on expanding your stomach. Eat until you don't want to eat anymore, and then eat a little more. It'll take time, but if you do it consistently enough, you'll be able to stomach more food.

You can read some more elaborate strategies on how to do so here: http://www.foodchallenges.com/category/stomach-capacity-training/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Step 1, read the hard gainer thread and step 2 log your actual calories.

At best we can only tell you to eat more.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you are eating 4k calories, as you claim, then you would be gaining weight (probably a high proportion of fat at that).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    If you are eating 4k calories, as you claim, then you would be gaining weight (probably a high proportion of fat at that).

If the person is naturally active, that might not be enough. I know a small handful of people who have to gain on 4500 to 5k.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    I had to eat 4500 to gain weight. Currently eating 3000 and dropping slowly
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

If the person is naturally active, that might not be enough. I know a small handful of people who have to gain on 4500 to 5k.

Of course. My comment reflected his statement that he did “very little cardio” but may have jumped the gun a bit. At 190lbs he would have to be extremely active to maintain anywhere near 4K cals