Bikini ready by March...is it possible??

Options
Ok so I’m 12 weeks postpartum, 13 lbs from my normal weight of 124. I have a vacation planned in March that I’d love to feel comfortable in a bikini for. I also have diastis recti (separation between the abs from pregnancy) so crunches, planks, etc are off limits. Is it unrealistic to lose, cut, and tone by then? I’m talking full body. I’ll take any advice or plans that worked well for you! TIA :)

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, drive the two hours up to Carmel, IN and workout with Taylor Chamberlain! Likely going to Loiusville, KY and working out with my friend MacLean is more of an option. Both ladies would get you in great shape! Not sure how this is helpful....LOL!
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is possible, losing 1/2 to 1 pound per week. Diet needs to be geared to a cut rather than a bulk or maintenance. Protein intake will be higher. Workout routine should be a full body beginner routine. The higher protein is to help your body maintain muscle while you burn through the energy in your fat stores. Lift heavy in low to moderate rep ranges.

Watch Eric Helm's nutritional pyramid series on Youtube. His muscle and strength pyramid is also excellent.

Read through the articles on fat loss by Lyle McDonald to help you understand what you are supposed to be doing: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/fat-loss/fat-loss-fundamentals/
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    ^^^^^^ Referencing Eric Helms.....great start. Why did I not think of that. And then you call on Lyle McDonald! Dang! I am so gonna have to up my game. Top references there, man!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No need to over think it: Setup MFP to lose .5 pounds a week, locate you a progressive overload strength training program and make sure you get adequate protein in your diet as stated first post up thread.

Great reference/link to various designed strength training programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • allyb1186
    allyb1186 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

You want to lose 13lbs in 6 months?

Yes this is more than doable. Take it slow, eat enough protein, lift weights and be consistent.

Good luck.
    @trigden1991 I guess I’m not so much concerned about losing the 13 lbs by then, I’m sure that’ll be off by the end of the year. I think it’s more about toning and seeing definition by March considering I have diastis recti. I’ve upped protein already, and have started slowing with weights. Thanks for the reply!
  • allyb1186
    Options
    On a serious note, drive the two hours up to Carmel, IN and workout with Taylor Chamberlain! Likely going to Loiusville, KY and working out with my friend MacLean is more of an option. Both ladies would get you in great shape! Not sure how this is helpful....LOL!

@CWShultz27105 I love Carmel! So beautiful up there! But yeah, Louisville is only 15 minutes away, so that’s probably more doable. How do I get in touch with your friend here?
  • allyb1186
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Yes, that is possible, losing 1/2 to 1 pound per week. Diet needs to be geared to a cut rather than a bulk or maintenance. Protein intake will be higher. Workout routine should be a full body beginner routine. The higher protein is to help your body maintain muscle while you burn through the energy in your fat stores. Lift heavy in low to moderate rep ranges.

Watch Eric Helm's nutritional pyramid series on Youtube. His muscle and strength pyramid is also excellent.

Read through the articles on fat loss by Lyle McDonald to help you understand what you are supposed to be doing: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/fat-loss/fat-loss-fundamentals/

@edickson76 this is so helpful! Thanks so much! Any ideas to hear my diet to cut rather than bulk? More eggs for protein? I’ll check out Eric Helm on YT
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I second talking to your doctor and getting a referral to a PT for a specific programme to address the DR.
    I would do this before starting on a full body routine as certain exercise can make it worse not better.

Cheers, h.
  • allyb1186
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Have you talked to your doctor about your DR and what you can or can't do? Have you been referred to a PT? I don't know what your limitations are.. but if you do a full body routine (avoiding certain direct ab work of course), eat at a deficit (nothing too steep) and get 0.8-1g protein per lb lean body mass/goal bodyweight, then you should be able to see body composition changes in that time. Everyone is different and having a baby can complicate things for sure!

@sardelsa yes, I’ve talked to my dr and she wasn’t much help. She said most c-section moms who have diastis recti, look into a mini tummy tuck where they stitch the 2 abdominal walls back together. I’m just trying to avoid having another surgery. I’ll attach a pic of my belly so you can see. I want to avoid bulking it, but still toning abs. I’ve heard that oblique exercises can help push the walls back to the center, and also focusing on the interior abs, I’m just not sure which exercises would be best and not make the separation worse. Everyone says you have to stay away from planks and crunches. I think Roman twists are ok. Thanks for replying!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. I have no idea about how to go about those exercises, however I would be cautious of any direct core work. I would look into a PT that can help you, because as @middlehaitch said, last thing you want is to make it worse.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Oops, I knew I had a link somewhere, it just took a while to find it. :)

Below is a link to a 12 week DS programme. I have no idea if it is effective as I have not had DS, but it is worth a read through. If you can run it past a qualified PT, or one of your medical team.
    (There is also another programme on line for DS but it is a paid programme so no nothing about it and can't remember the name.)

http://breakingmuscle.com/workouts/12-weeks-of-workouts-to-rebuild-after-diastasis-recti

Cheees, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking now rather in Feb, lol! Congrats on your baby. Good responses above, nothing to add.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @allyb1186 - May I PM you with her info? I am not the type to just randomly PM folks who are not my MFP Friends.....
  • allyb1186
    Options
    @allyb1186 - May I PM you with her info? I am not the type to just randomly PM folks who are not my MFP Friends.....
    @CWShultz27105 yes absolutely!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @allyb1186 - sent, girl! Enjoy!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I mean- technically you're bikini ready now if you have a swim suit that fits.

Put on bikini- now you're ready.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Technically, @JoRocka - you are correct. Smarty pants! LOL!
  • GaryMilan2017
    GaryMilan2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Looking at pic you look ready now