How to increase bench?

Options
My bench is currently 295. I been stuck here for about 2 weeks. I currently do bands bench which in turn helps with the tension . If it matters my deadlift is 395 and my squat is 355. I weigh about 180 and I am 5'10. Any tips will be much appreciated . I also do a high protein medium carb diet and I sleep about 8-9 hours a day . Oh yea I'm 24

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ever heard of the SlingShot?

It's a heavy duty elastic band that assists you to bench more wt, which helps you develop more strength to bench w/o it.

There are at least 2 models, the blue ("less resistant) "reactive" and red (more resistant) "original" models.

See:

https://www.howmuchyabench.net/shop/sling-shot/reactive-slingshot/

and

https://www.howmuchyabench.net/shop/sling-shot/original-sling-shot-4/

I've got a blue one and it helped me break thru to a 210 BP, which was a big deal for me at 67 yrs of age and 158#.

From what you've said, you'd probably need a red one. You can Google for reviews which are generally positive.
  • Irvseg93
    Irvseg93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll check it out !
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey, man! Gonna ask the obvious question - how is your form?

I ask that because I know that when my form was wrong (on bench, squats, dead lifts, et al) I would reach a weight and then could not go past it. Then I would hurt myself. Then I would fix it. Then the weights would go up (a bunch).

Do you drive with your legs? Have your feet and knees in the right position? If you were on the bench and ready to lift and I came by and pushed you, would you move? Or, would you stay in position?

I would suppose that your form is spot-on, but I still ask. I am not smart enough to assume anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Eccentric training can help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Additionally, where is (are) your sticking point(s)? Where is the struggle?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    When was your last deload??
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    As you get stronger, you can't expect to increase your lifts as frequently.. two weeks isn't a very long stall in my eyes.
    Are you following a program?

This^^
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is your program and logs of progression for the past couple months? Be nice to know volume/days, etc...

As mentioned above "form" is usually a governor once the weight reaches a certain point initially.

Adding volume either a set or back off set usually will do the trick for more advanced lifters

Eventually adding a extra day of benching usually "light day" will help you, or adding a set will drive adaptation.

• Irvseg93
    Options
    Thanks guys! As for my form i was thinking about that today . I think that's where the problem lies . Im actually following a strength program from this YouTuber called alpha destiny . It's novice program . Basically consist of the big three lifts and some secondary workouts . I suppose I haven't been driving with my legs?
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other posts, I'm currently using floor press to increase my lifts.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Driving with your legs is super important. At 191lbs a few years ago (so, totally does not count now) I could bench press 340lbs. Not bad for a 45yo dude. Can't do that now, but will get close. And, leg drive was a big part of that 340lbs bench.

Are you familair with Brian Alsruhe? He has some youtube videos on "how to...." and goes over dead lifts, squats and bench press. I believe that for each lift he has a three part "This is how you do this" series. I might suggest that you watch them. It has been awhile since I have watched any of them, but I learned a lot from him (well, from his youtube videos). I am sure that there are others as well but I like him and his 'humor' so I stick with one.

I am not familiar with "Alpha Destiny" but will check that out. Like I said, I like to stick with one "source". Brian Alsruhe is the Strong Man in the state of Maryland. He also seems like an amazing human being. I dig following and supporting people like him.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but I am really good at "Step 1" and "Step 2". I always start with form....because if that is off you will indeed find a ceiling. If your form is indeed good (maybe you can work on the leg drive....as funny as that might sound considering that we are talking about bench press.....) then there might be another sticking point that is "the weak link". Or, as @Chieflrg suggests, maybe adding or dropping a set will do the trick./ Remember, the intermediate to advanced lifters make very slow progress. Shoot, Brian Alsruhe will tell you all about being stuck at 500lbs Bench for five years (I beleive that was the time frame).

But, to repeat myself....I almost always look at form and then sticking points first. If both are good, then we need to start using our collective brain.

And, to repeat what someone else already stated.....two weeks - when we are talking about a 295lbs bench - does not seem like a long time to me so are you really stalled? I do not know you, so not being 'critical'! I just call things like I see them....never in a critical or condescending way. Are you worried about something for which there is not any 'legit need' for worry? Just asking, man!

Look forward to helping you figure this out. I mean, you are asking....let's find the answer for YOU. :smiley:
  • Irvseg93
    Options
    Wow very insightful haha! I will def check this man out . And to be honest perhaps I'm not stalled.. I just want to increase fast haha
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You are most welcome.

And I want a 500lb squat and a 600lb deadlift and a 350lb bench. Not yet......not yet. :smiley: There are a lot of really good youtubers out there. I watch the ones that I like (Brian Alsruhe, Layne Norton, Paul Revelia, etc).

There are also a lot of good Personal Trainers out there. Have you considered finding one? He or she might be able to see something that you are not?

Have you video'd your lifts? From different angles? I mean, the next best thing if there are no PTs that you trust. Video your lifts from different angles and post them (not sure where.....don't think that you can post videos here....have never looked into it | tried).

Just a thought...
  • draftsman28
    draftsman28 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are you also increasing strength in other movements for your lats, shoulders and arms?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Great point......OHP really helps with bench!
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Thick_n_Fit_Mom Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Ever heard of the SlingShot?

It's a heavy duty elastic band that assists you to bench more wt, which helps you develop more strength to bench w/o it.

There are at least 2 models, the blue ("less resistant) "reactive" and red (more resistant) "original" models.

See:

https://www.howmuchyabench.net/shop/sling-shot/reactive-slingshot/

and

https://www.howmuchyabench.net/shop/sling-shot/original-sling-shot-4/

I've got a blue one and it helped me break thru to a 210 BP, which was a big deal for me at 67 yrs of age and 158#.

From what you've said, you'd probably need a red one. You can Google for reviews which are generally positive.

This!!!! I use the slingshot along with gangsta wrist wraps!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Heavy pullovers and heavy tricep work. Oh no Zilla, thats not right. Okay...
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The bench press is a lot more complicated than most guys think. Don't get too wrapped up in using bands, unless locking it out is your issue. Bands helped equipped lifters because they represent a shirted strength curve more than they do for raw. Big strong traps and lats go a long way for a big bench.(and squat and deadlift) then shoulders and triceps. Last night night I worked up to three singles, then finished with 5 sets of 2 board heavy doubles and my legs are killing me because of leg drive, my back is sore from trying to hold my arch and be tight. Also 295 bench at 180 isn't bad. Keep working. Be patient.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    51 and working my way back to 500 lb bench, I'm 80 lbs away. Heavy pullovers and heavy tricep work are the answer. I use to do power lockouts in the power rack but joints can't handle it, usually added 50 lbs to the bench when done right but I only did it once a year.Slingshot, Titan Ram, boards, chains don't help the bottom half of your bench. A good base(lats) have helped me shoot up the past year. It's been 4 years since shoulder surgery and I'm 100% on them.