TIP/TRICK How to control ice cream portion sizes

I don't know about you guys, but ice cream is definitely my weak spot. I've learned that if I do buy ice cream, putting it on a cake cone (~20cals) helps me to only eat a serving instead of going overboard in a bowl.

Anyone else have a food tip or trick?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm not sure I have any tips since I've always had only one serving of ice cream, but with other foods I have problems with I buy just one serving.

Maybe doing something extravagant with your ice cream like using fancy toppings (had a brulee topped ice cream once it was amazing) and buying the most delicious ice cream you can find (helps if it's not cheap, too). I know when I have really high quality chocolate I tend to savor it slowly because I don't want to pay that much for the most amazing flavors only to inhale them mindlessly. I like to make the experience worth the calories, and because it's expensive these kinds of foods become special, not something I eat every day or even every week.

Another way if you wish to eat it more often is to "stretch it", making it feel larger than it is. Maybe make a float or something with a diet drink you like or layer/mix with meringue, berries, rice krispies..etc. Basically add volume to your portion with lower calorie items.

If you wish to enjoy just the ice cream without the trickery, you have no choice but to weigh your portion and eat that. Repeat until you are used to this portion.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weigh out 1-2 servings and eat it

Ice cream sold here doesn't have weight listed. Only volume - which is super hard to measure unless you want to melt the ice cream first.

I just stick to 1.5 scoops and approximate from there.. but if I eat more I explode so I don't have that problem lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I either weigh out a portion or I buy a pint only and make sure I have enough calories left (or banked from other days) to allow me to eat the entire pint.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Ice cream sold here doesn't have weight listed. Only volume - which is super hard to measure unless you want to melt the ice cream first.

I just stick to 1.5 scoops and approximate from there.. but if I eat more I explode so I don't have that problem lol.

Here it does have recommended serving weight of 60 grams, so maybe go with that? Alternatively, just scoop out 150 calories or however many calories you wish to spend on ice cream by weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

This. Put it in a small cup or bowl too, seems like more.

You can buy single serving B&J too, but that's usually not my favorite brand.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I use the small bowls I have around for fancy dipping sauces so the portion size doesn't feel so tiny or I eat it right out of the pint while it's on the food scale.
  • northdog
    northdog Posts: 43 Member
    I use cones too. I really just like the bottom part of the cone that is soaked in ice cream the best anyway.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    I basically used to eat ice cream for the cake cone! Haven’t had ice cream in ages (due to lactose, not because of calories) and I don’t really miss it. I do miss the cones though!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If I buy a pint, I eat a pint. Which is fine sometimes. Ive found success with the Yasso or Enlightened bars. They are about 100 cals and enough to satisfy.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Aerona85 wrote: »
    I basically used to eat ice cream for the cake cone! Haven’t had ice cream in ages (due to lactose, not because of calories) and I don’t really miss it. I do miss the cones though!

i had a friend whos mom used to bake cupcakes in them and they were awesome with the frosting on top and sprinkles.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited October 2017
    I am with the "eat the whole dang thing" group. But that is just how I approach things. I - gratefully - do not have an issue with ice cream. I just don't eat it (diary issues for me.....go me!) *BUT* were I able to eat ice cream, buy the pint, grab a spoon and make that bad boy disappear!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I weigh it out and use a small bowl.