TIP/TRICK How to control ice cream portion sizes

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weigh out 1-2 servings and eat it

This. Put it in a small cup or bowl too, seems like more.

You can buy single serving B&J too, but that's usually not my favorite brand.

I didn't even know Bartlesville & James made ice cream! Gotta get me some of that!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Buy Halo. I think the worst pint is 320 calories. Oatmeal cookie is really good and the whole damn pint is only 280 calories. Otherwise, you could become an ice creamaholic like someone already said...
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Weigh 60 grams of not sugar added ice cream (any flavor) and 60 grams of Fage plain. Mix them together in a bowl, cover it and out it back in the freezer for few minutes. For me is delicious, and more feeling since the Fage increases the amount of protein. You can also top it with Brand cereal and/or fruit for more flavor and fiber.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I have some small dishes and I weigh my portion of ice cream out.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    I serve my ice cream in a small dish called a ramekin. Enough room only for a very small serving.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    I have a small plastic dish that I got from the dollar store for 3 for $1. It is about the size of a cupcake liner and it makes me feel fancy. Or, I get a pint and mark the sides at each serving.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I like your ice cream trick/tip; it's basically a variant on the "use a smaller bowl or plate for your food" idea, which can work if one's previous approach to serving sizes was fill up the plate/bowl, and eat everything on the plate!

My shared trick/tip is to leave a plastic measuring cup in the boxes of the breakfast cereals I eat the most, and use them to scoop out the desired portion size into my bowl. I had not realized that by filling my bowl with cereal, I was basically getting 1.5 to 2 times the portion sizes recommended on the cereal box nutritional information.

You could get a measuring cup out of the cupboard every day and use that, but for whatever reason, I just wasn't doing that, whereas keeping inexpensive measuring cups in my cereal boxes ensures my portion sizes are measurable and consistent.

Or... Put your bowl on the scale and weigh it, without needing lots of measuring cups.

For icecream I just log and weigh - I rarely eat icecream on its own, tonight it's going in a bowl with sugar free jelly (jello), frozen berries and chocolate cereal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Our ice cream dishes are already portioned at half a cup, so a serving fills the whole thing, sometimes a bit over like it would in a waffle bowl.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I really need to find this halo top stuff......ice cream has always been a weak spot for me.

I get my fix now by running out to McDonalds and ordering a soft vanilla cone. 230 cals or so and it is just enough for me (note the sizes vary depending on who makes it!!!) At least this way seconds are not an option.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Read the label.

Know your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). If the ice cream fits your macros and daily calorie goal, then eat it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I buy single servings (Drumsticks, bars, ice cream sandwiches, dipped on a stick, etc) . Or I just eat 1/4 of a pint. I like Ben & Jerry's because it's such a pain to scoop out so I end up eating only a little bit.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    I know that if I buy a tub of ice cream then I'm eating that tub of ice cream, normally I would just try to work it into my calorie goal but as I'm currently suffering from a rampant gallbladder I need to keep my fat intake low....so I now buy Ben and Jerry's/Haggen Dazs mini pots and have a few in the freezer for when I want some.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I use a smaller ice cream bowl and weigh out a portion or two.

If I want more I will put in some extra work for it.

Wish I liked Halo Top more, but I'd rather enjoy less of my favorite regular ice cream flavours, then a whole lot of that stuff.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I put the tub or the bowl on the scale, press the 'tare' button to zero the scale, then either subtract from the tub or add to the bowl to get to 4 oz. That doesn't seem to be any sort of secret trick. Get a scale. Use it.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Cool Whey icecream (for the Canadians out there)...40-60 grams of protein per pint depending on the type you get!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    So, for those of us unable to get Halo Top, does anyone have a reasonable estimate of what 1 serving of normal ice cream weighs? Don't need exact, but ball park. So if a serving is 125 ml, what would a close weight be? Is the 4 oz (converted to grams) mentioned above close?

Might have to look for the Cool Whey stuff.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    So, for those of us unable to get Halo Top, does anyone have a reasonable estimate of what 1 serving of normal ice cream weighs? Don't need exact, but ball park. So if a serving is 125 ml, what would a close weight be? Is the 4 oz (converted to grams) mentioned above close?

Might have to look for the Cool Whey stuff.

Depending on the brand, yeah. I have some as low as 60 grams and others that surpass 100 grams. It’s usually different due to the consistency...something like Ben & Jerry’s that’s pretty dense will fall in the higher weight per serving, but Edy’s Slow Churned Vanilla Bean is more airy, therefore it’s only 60 grams.

As for Halo Top, I can only answer if I ever get around to eating the pint in my freezer.