Yoga?

Options
Hello

I’ve been thinking of trying out yoga for while now but still a bit nervous to join. There are yoga classes at my gym so I can easily go. But I think all of those that currently go are experts, there’s no beginners class!
I’m a bit worried that I won’t be able to do the moves or be terrible. And do I need to take a yoga mat and any other equipment?
Does anyone have any pointers? And is it really all it’s hyped up to be?

Thank you for any help or advice :)

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I do yoga to help with some back aches. Instructors are usually flexible and even though some moves may present a challenge, you have to do it at your own pace and at your own skill set. Even if you feel that you are "terrible", everything is part of the learning curve. Just relax and have fun. Don't try to force yourself to do "poses" that you are uncapable to do, just have fun and relax. Most gyms/studios have extra mats, but you may need to take your towel and probably some water. Good luck...
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Check in at your gym and ask if their yoga classes are "beginner friendly." I actually had better luck going through classes offered in the community that advertised themselves as beginner-friendly hatha or kriapulu yoga.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I personally believe yoga is EXACTLY all it is hyped to be, but I know others who strongly dislike it. You must try it for a reasonable period of time, making sure to start and progress appropriately for *your* specific level, before forming an opinion.
    Don't forget that we live in the age of the internet. You can always try some beginner yoga videos on websites such as YouTube before going to a live class. In my experience at a local gym, mats were provided, but participants were free to bring their own mats, blocks, etc.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh I love yoga! You will probably be pretty bad at it at first and no one in a yoga class will care. Those watching you and not focused on their own practice will only be the unserious ones anyway! And you will for sure get better at it and feel better every time you can hold a pose longer or hit a new one. Please try it and forget any fools who have the nerve to judge while you do.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I purchased book with an included dvd, and exercise mat to kind of learn the basics before I went to an actual gym. Similar lessons can be found online obviously.
    I am not a huge yoga fan but I do find it relaxing and am always trying to learn new things
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You do need a mat, and if you’re a beginner blocks are really helpful, as is a strap.

But just the mat to start. If you want to continue, then maybe buy a couple props.

I would take a class as there are nuances to the poses that can be hard to pick up if you begin your practice at home. You may think you’re doing it right, but then The teacher adjusts you and WHOA! that’s a whole different feeling.

There might be a groupon to a local studio that would be a great deal. Most studios will have props you can borrow whereas the gym may not.

I started to help with my back. As a plus, my tension headaches disappeared as did a good deal of body fat over the last year. (I am in maintenance.)

I really enjoy the challenge. You can make it as hard or as easy as you want. And every body is different. I can do stuff well and other stuff is hard for me. For the last year I take 3-4, 90 minute classes a week.

Don’t be intimidated by people who know what they are doing, or seem like it. They were all beginners once and didn’t know a downward dog from a triangle pose. One of the things I’ve really enjoyed is the. Immunity at the studio. Made some great new friends!
  • SingingElvis
    SingingElvis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you have the chance to try a class at the gym I would do it, I can't recommend yoga enough. Even if people seem to know what they are doing don't let it worry you, I've been going to the same class for over two years and still can't do some of the postures just because of my circumstances (bad hips and knees). A good instructor will tailor the class, we always have two or three variations to allow for different levels of experience, injuries, etc . I'd try to have a chat with the instructor before the class if you can, just to put your mind at rest.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    anniee1 wrote: »
    Hello

I’ve been thinking of trying out yoga for while now but still a bit nervous to join. There are yoga classes at my gym so I can easily go. But I think all of those that currently go are experts, there’s no beginners class!
    I’m a bit worried that I won’t be able to do the moves or be terrible. And do I need to take a yoga mat and any other equipment?
    Does anyone have any pointers? And is it really all it’s hyped up to be?

Thank you for any help or advice :)

A good teacher should help you, regardless of how experienced the other participants are. They should give you some variations of development positions if required.

I would recommend a class as it's easy to get the various asanas wrong from books or videos.

Thoroughly recommended in terms of flexibility and postural strength.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The yoga classes offered at my gym are open for anyone, at any level. They have mats there if you don't have one to bring and they also have blocks for anyone to use.
    When you go just let the instructor know that you're new to yoga. Our instructor always gives options to either make the move easier or more difficult depending on where you're at.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I took a series of beginners classes at a dedicated yoga studio. It made ALL the difference! The classes are smaller and teach you the pose while showing you modifications that work for your body. Do you have a yoga studio in your area?
  • anniee1
    anniee1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Thank you so much everyone. You’ve convinced me to give it a go! I’m hoping to add this on my ‘rest’ days on Sundays, so will let you know how I get on. But looking forward to it now and feeling less afraid. I will look on YouTube to get some ideas and then will brave a class at the gym, as I don’t really want to pay for local studio classes as I get all classes included in my (overly expensive) gym membership. I really appreciate all the advice.
    Being new to MFP I wasn’t sure what to expect, but everyone’s been so helpful and motivating. If anyone would like to connect please feel free to add. (I’m 27 next month, live in the UK and hoping to lose 20lbs right now and then a further 20lb in the future). Annie :)
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in taking classes with a good instructor when first starting out, as good alignment and posture are critical to get the most out of your practice and also not injure yourself. I've taken enough classes (with some SPECTACULAR instructors) and have enough knowledge of posture and body mechanics to do it safely on my own at this point, but I wouldn't recommend it for a new person. It IS great, though, and I love it! Don't be afraid. Ask at your gym what classes are best for you and go from there!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you go. I mean, it is just like going to the gym for the first time. No one is likely going to be paying attention to you. They are going to be so in their own little world that they will hardly notice anyone or anything outside of that.

And, as to being terrible.....everyone starts out that way. In everything. I killed myself when I started doing squats and dead lifts essentially one year ago. My form was all over the place. But, with persistence and bulldog behavior, I finally got it.

To share....I did a pole dance class at a local 'establishment' and royally sucked at it. But, it was a ton of fun. The instructor was awesome....she works there and teaches the new girls. I will eventually go back and do it - likely on a more regular basis. But I was HORRIBLE. And, she video'd me and put it on her IG. Too funny! My ex-wife will likely see that.....not sure how, but she will. And I do not give a rat's <kitten> one bit. She is the ex-wife for a reason.

Point is.....go and do it and have fun. Laugh at yourself when you mess up. And, make no mistake - you will mess up. Just own it and do your thing and do not give up. In two months you will look back at your first few times doing yoga and just laugh. And roll your eyes and think to yourself.....can anybody really be that bad? Yes....if you see that IG video you will understand! LOL!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    And, to be honest....if I am not mistaken, the point of yoga is really the inward reflection. Right? So, you can not really be horrible at that. I was more referring to your ability to hit all of the poses at first....just to be clear.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do _some_ yoga to help with my back, neck, arms. From someone with arthritis I can tell you it helps. A lot. You can do a class or simply learn what you need to help yourself. Either way I'll never look at yoga the same. I would love to do more, and may in the future.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, and there are many good suggestions here. One thing I don't see-- try more than one teacher. At my gym, I can't take beginning yoga because I can't keep up. I take regular yoga for the stretching and relaxation, and I take advanced because the teacher is so good at teaching modifications, helping you work around injuries, work out sore spots, and build to some of the more difficult positions.