Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Running, jogging or walking.

2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited November 2017
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    If it's just burning calories? Then I recommend walking. There really isn't much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

If you're trying to complete a race, then obviously walking/running at your pace until you build up the strength, endurance, and mindset needed to get to that finish line in the desired time.

I would probably take a different angle. If the exercise is just for burning calories, then I wouldn't waste the time walking. Assuming a 150 pound person can cover 3 miles in an hour, they'll only burn something on order of 200 calories by walking for an hour. Unless you were going to be walking anyway, the payoff is hardly worth the time to me.

Running, on the other hand, burns more than double the calories of walking for any given distance and you can cover more distance for any given time. Assuming that a person can physically handle the act of running, that same 150 pound could likely cover 5 miles or so in an hour, for a burn of close to 500 calories.

I'm balancing the risk/reward of caloric burn vs. potential damage to joints. This puts jogging at the lowest point of risk/reward. Walking holds limited reward, but no/low risk. Running holds highest reward and equal risk to jogging.

However this is in reference to someone lacking the physical conditioning to run at a consistent rate for 1 hour.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    My preferred forms of locomotion are to mosey and cavort.

For health-purposes though, as a Non-Certified Fitnessologist, I suggest walking outside daily for increased mental health. And rounds of sprinting once a week for physical prowess.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Just start out walking and walk with a purpose. See how you like it. Add in fast walks and throw in some light run intervals. You may or may not want to progress to running.

Anything you do is beneficial and the more you do it the better you become. Increase volume/intensity when needed or best, create you some fitness goals.

If you really want to start running properly, try C25K and invest in a good pair of running shoes.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    I prefer jogging but haven't done it much recently so just getting back to C25k. With that said, I am an all or nothing personality type so sometimes if I only can walk I will decide to do nothing at all. Im trying to change this mindset. I read an article recently that motivated me and changed my perspective a little. It stated that you can burn more calories walking the same distance as you do running. It states that 4 miles running burns about half of the amount of a 4 mile walk because of the time spent. I don't know how true it is but it was food for thought.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    angelb1983 wrote: »
    I don't know how true it is...

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I used to be really underweight and have finally put on some tub. Maybe more than id like.....
    I live in a gorgeous area to exersize but i want to know what you guys think is best. Fast paced walking. A gentle jog or racing to the beat in bursts.

It's not a question of better or worse. Running and walking have different benefits and disbenefits. I'd note that jogging in this context is meaningless as one will walk or run.

I think jogging is a specific type of running where you find dead bodies and report them to the police.

I read something recently related to use of language in the media related to gender and risk. What it highlighted was that in media reporting female runners are almost exclusively referred to as joggers, whereas male runners are described as runners. It played into several themes, largely around perceived risk and victim blaming.

There was a specific example of a woman jogging a 50 miler...

But yes, jogging seems to have a much higher incidence of finding dead bodies in the woods :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I used to be really underweight and have finally put on some tub. Maybe more than id like.....
    I live in a gorgeous area to exersize but i want to know what you guys think is best. Fast paced walking. A gentle jog or racing to the beat in bursts.

It's not a question of better or worse. Running and walking have different benefits and disbenefits. I'd note that jogging in this context is meaningless as one will walk or run.

I think jogging is a specific type of running where you find dead bodies and report them to the police.

I read something recently related to use of language in the media related to gender and risk. What it highlighted was that in media reporting female runners are almost exclusively referred to as joggers, whereas male runners are described as runners. It played into several themes, largely around perceived risk and victim blaming.

There was a specific example of a woman jogging a 50 miler...

But yes, jogging seems to have a much higher incidence of finding dead bodies in the woods :)

Jog a trail or a park really early on a Saturday or Sunday in or near an urban area and you are certain to discover a body or two, best to stick with your treadmill at these times.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I like both and try to mix it up. I feel they each stress different joints. Fast walking, I feel more pressure in my hips and balls of my feet where running I feel more in my knees. By mixing it up I feel like nothing gets too overused.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    This thread has been eye-opening, thanks guys. I think I'm gonna be sure to run instead of jog now, to avoid the dead bodies. Don't wanna risk being haunted or pursued by the undead.
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    As with all things it's better to limit yourself by choice and not by necessity. Do it all until you've discovered what works best for you. Walk long distances to burn calories without burning yourself out, but pick a day to do some sprints up and down the drive way to build some muscle and work on that explosive cardio. Then, when you're feeling brave, go knock out a quarter mile jog and see how you feel. Slowly build yourself up on all fronts. Walk a little farther or fast, sprint harder and do more of them. Run farther. Use the long walks on your rest days from running to keep from killing your shins and overtraining. I'm 265 (down from 311) and have only just recently started trying to run again and I can tell you it's quite the confidence booster to see yourself getting tangibly better at running. When the half mile jog used to leave you dizzy and a few weeks later you find yourself crossing that mile marker wondering if it's time to add another lap, you'll start to realize that there are more victories than just the number on the scale. Just take it slow.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2017
    I must admit i have never seen anyone RUN unless they were in a running race, which to me is actual running.. Everyone else i see is jogging. Is jogging an un-pc word these days?

For example:

Jogging is what i would do for exercise, and is what i see regular people doing daily.

Running is what i would be doing if i was escaping an axe wielding murderer who was after me.

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    The best is the one you enjoy the most. They'll all do solid work for your cardio health.

Personally I love a nice mid-pace jog through nature.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    OP I'd say its totally up to personal preference. There is no "best" there, its just a matter of picking something that you are most likely to stick with because you enjoy (or at least hate it the least).

I'm a reasonably healthy guy. I could run, I could jog....but honestly I just prefer walking, I enjoy it more. So I walk.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I prefer walking, it's more enjoyable. It may not be as intense but I'm more likely to do it than run or jog so it's the most effective one for me!

I once tried to take up jogging and the initial sensation of being light and fast feels great..but that only lasts about 30 seconds! My knees and hips and chest soon hurt if I run but I can walk for miles plus with walking you can take in the scenery of wherever you are
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    NadNight wrote: »
    I prefer walking, it's more enjoyable. It may not be as intense but I'm more likely to do it than run or jog so it's the most effective one for me!

I once tried to take up jogging and the initial sensation of being light and fast feels great..but that only lasts about 30 seconds! My knees and hips and chest soon hurt if I run but I can walk for miles plus with walking you can take in the scenery of wherever you are

Exactly this for me too. Plus the burning lungs and gasping for breath just doesn't appeal to me :weary:
    Walking is nuch more enjoyable for this old duck..