Tips for someone cutting sugar and dairy

Hi everyone,
I talk a lot so I’ll try to make this brief!
I had a major sugar addiction that I just kicked by doing a “detox” of everything with dairy or added sugar in it.
All of the headaches and fatigue settled after sometime, and now I’ve let simple things like white bread back into my life, but am for the most part staying away from sweets and strictly cutting dairy (it helps my bloating and acne like no tomorrow!)
Is anyone else in the same boat nutrition wise, and how do you cope with it??? Even things like pasta sauce have added sugars. I’ve been eating lots of salad, tomatoes, grapes, etc and when I go out to eat it’s always been to chipotle. I know I’m going to get bored and need ideas as a newbie, because I want this to be a lifestyle change!
Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't worry about added sugar and dairy, I just aim for a balanced and nutritious diet. I have tried so hard for so long to "eat right", it's exhausting, and always lead to burnout, and overeating all the foods I had tried so desperately to avoid. Lesson learned, much happier and healther now. For one, nothing to "cope" with, and I can eat anything, such a relief.

Oh, and sugar isn't addictive and you can't detox from it. There is sugar in lots of foods that are nutritious. Yo have sugar in your blood, too. If you're allergic to something in dairy, cut it out. But everybody bloats these days (it's like an epidemic), and acne can be caused by lots of things.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    tabbyxxcat wrote: »
    Is anyone else in the same boat nutrition wise, and how do you cope with it???

No, I love dairy and react well to it.

I have cut out added sugar from time to time and generally keep it to a minimum even if I'm not doing that (other than occasional planned treats that obviously have sugar).
    Even things like pasta sauce have added sugars.

Not necessarily. I've always made my own pasta sauce (well, for many, many years, since well before I paid attention to my weight) and I don't add sugar. (I seriously doubt a bit of sugar in pasta sauce would matter, but I prefer homemade and while my Fundamentals of Italian Cooking book recommends a bit of sugar in marinara I never have added it.)

What are you finding challenging? I tend to mostly cook from whole foods and endless variety is possible and I can't say I ever add sugar except the occasion dish is nice with honey and BBQ improves with a bit of sugar (but it need not be much).

Totally agree with those who say that if you focus on filling your diet with nutrient dense foods and getting a good variety of vegetables, protein and fat sources (healthy fats like nuts and seeds, avocados, olives and olive oil, fatty fish), and maybe some fruit if you like it or whole food sources of starch like potatoes and sweet potatoes, whole grains, beans and lentils, whatever you enjoy, that you really don't have to worry much about overconsuming sugar.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I don't eat many foods with added sugars. I find they don't sit well with me. But without dairy I'd starve!! Lol.

I also had to detox from the sugar/carb addiction. I don't miss them. I had a pretty high carb day for me yesterday and man did I feel it. I felt like crap. only heavy carbs like those from pasta bother me. A piece of toast is ok, but 2 is to many. Just learn your body and do what works for you. Screw what everyone else says.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Having done several whole30's and other similar things, I feel you. You basically have to make all your own stuff from scratch. Homemade mayo? Sure, it's easy and delicious. Tomato sauce? Easy too, just add spices to the canned stuff. But an extra gram here or there won't kill you. For things that could use a bit of sugar (esp italian) to cut the bite, I use balsamic vinegar instead. But from doing a whole30, it's good to cut everything out for a specified amount of time and then add back in to see how much your body can tolerate. Maybe try different thresholds of sugar on a week by week basis and see how your body handles, or try being strict with sugar consumption and dairy 80% of the time, and flexible 20% of the time.
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    I really enjoyed reading the replies here. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who has had to make such a big change. I lost weight before but never addressed my issues like I have this time around.

Basically my takeaway is:
    -start learning to make homemade stuff so that I can still enjoy foods that normally have added sugars on their labels at the grocery store
    -start mapping out when each week that I can let myself be loose with dairy and sugar.

I really like the 80/20 suggestion, rather than worrying about being strict on myself all the time. I might be adding back in Greek yogurt, which I used to love to death (it’s also convenient to grab when leaving the house for work in the morning).

I have a long ways to go and this is helping me with my mindset. Thanks everyone!
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Start with this at the grocery store: if your reading the label to look for added sugar...you are buying the wrong food. Chicken, veggies, etc. Find what you like and dive in. Its actually very easy to eat non-dairy/no added sugar when you don't buy processed.

Cheese did take me the longest to remove from my diet. Just not a good effect on me.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I'm not so much struggling with sugar (I can take it or leave it, rather have spicy or savory foods), but dairy is something I need less dependance too. It wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't make me feel nasty, but it does.

Years ago, I cut out milk (switched to Almond, actually like it better now). Creamy sauces and cheese is where my issues fall. I have gotten in the habit to ask for "no cheese" on things at restaurants, even if I miss it. I can eat yogurt just fine (I don't really like it, but can eat it). I tried adding cottage cheese back 2 weeks ago and it was a no go...:(

I'd say slow and steady wins the race. Find substitues for things, experiment. This is why I'm really glad I'm a good cook. I get an idea, I give it a shot and see if I can be happy with it.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    I did no added sugar for 30 days...it was tough because there is added sugar in pretty much everything in the grocery store other than fresh produce.

I agree with other posters...you have to learn to cook for yourself. For pasta sauce I use a couple cans of diced tomatoes, dice an onion, add some spices (oregano, basil, thyme, pepper etc) and you have a pretty basic sauce. You can blend it if you don't like it chunky. You can either make your own bread (you need a tiny bit of sugar to proof the yeast), or eliminate the bread and make lettuce wraps.

Today I am not added sugar free, but I do greatly limit my added sugars. Many things now taste really sweet (too sweet) after re-acclimating my pallet to less sugar. I just feel better as a whole after limiting my sugar intake.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I did no added sugar for 30 days...it was tough because there is added sugar in pretty much everything in the grocery store other than fresh produce.

I agree with other posters...you have to learn to cook for yourself. For pasta sauce I use a couple cans of diced tomatoes, dice an onion, add some spices (oregano, basil, thyme, pepper etc) and you have a pretty basic sauce. You can blend it if you don't like it chunky. You can either make your own bread (you need a tiny bit of sugar to proof the yeast), or eliminate the bread and make lettuce wraps.

Today I am not added sugar free, but I do greatly limit my added sugars. Many things now taste really sweet (too sweet) after re-acclimating my pallet to less sugar. I just feel better as a whole after limiting my sugar intake.

Question: How is the added sugar in your homemade bread different than the added sugar in store-bought bread and why is one better than the other?
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2017
    Whenever someone claims there is added sugar in everything in the grocery store I wonder how I manage to not have that issue at all. I guess what they buy is very different from what I buy, in that even things like plain dried pasta, canned beans, cottage cheese and greek yogurt, and plain oats or rice or quinoa obviously have no sugar, as well as (obviously) oils, vinegar (sugar, yeah, but not added sugar), mustard, any of the nut butters I buy, etc. And that's not even counting things like frozen fruit, veg, meat, fish, the fresh versions of those, and eggs, all of which obviously are without sugar.

(I do buy some things that have added sugar -- some really obviously, like ice cream -- but most of what I buy or think about buying does not. It's not actually in everything, I hate that claim.)
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    I don't add sugar to anything anymore. I'm sure my multi-grain bread has a small amount added. I just get crazy when I have sugar because it is addictive to me. Once I start, I'm walking to the store in a snow storm to get some more - yes I've done it.

Saying sugar isn't addictive because it doesn't trigger you is like saying an alcoholic is weak because they can't have just one beer. It's rude and unnecessary. @lemurcat12

That being said, I do eat fruit, which doesn't seem to affect me in the same way as adding a teaspoon to my tea. It might be because it is combined with fiber and slower to digest.

As for dairy, I've given it all up except the odd bit of cheese in an omelette and you can pry my greek yogurt out of my dead cold hands. I don't eat the greek yogurt that is flavoured anymore. Instead, I add a teaspoon of vanilla and a sliced apple and it makes for a nice hearty snack that keeps me full for hours. After a month of eating it that way, the stuff with the added sugar will taste too sweet.

For me, if sugar isn't naturally occurring in my food...you know you need sugar to feed the yeast in bread right @3bambi3 ... I don't add any. I also don't eat food that is a sugar bomb.

I've been off the sugar long enough now that even though my brain says - eat more...my tongue says that was gross.
  • lemurcat12
    Saying sugar isn't addictive because it doesn't trigger you is like saying an alcoholic is weak because they can't have just one beer. It's rude and unnecessary. @lemurcat12

Um, where did I say anything about sugar being addictive or not? That's not what the thread is about, and trying to make this a sugar addiction thread is a sure way to derail, so please don't.
  • 3bambi3
    edited October 2017
    I don't add sugar to anything anymore. I'm sure my multi-grain bread has a small amount added. I just get crazy when I have sugar because it is addictive to me. Once I start, I'm walking to the store in a snow storm to get some more - yes I've done it.

That being said, I do eat fruit, which doesn't seem to affect me in the same way as adding a teaspoon to my tea. It might be because it is combined with fiber and slower to digest.

As for dairy, I've given it all up except the odd bit of cheese in an omelette and you can pry my greek yogurt out of my dead cold hands. I don't eat the greek yogurt that is flavoured anymore. Instead, I add a teaspoon of vanilla and a sliced apple and it makes for a nice hearty snack that keeps me full for hours. After a month of eating it that way, the stuff with the added sugar will taste too sweet.

For me, if sugar isn't naturally occurring in my food...you know you need sugar to feed the yeast in bread right @3bambi3 ... I don't add any. I also don't eat food that is a sugar bomb.

I've been off the sugar long enough now that even though my brain says - eat more...my tongue says that was gross.

Yes, I do know that about bread. I'm not sure why you are addressing me. My question was directed at the poster I quoted.

As for the rest of your post...um.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Whenever someone claims there is added sugar in everything in the grocery store I wonder how I manage to not have that issue at all. I guess what they buy is very different from what I buy, in that even things like plain dried pasta, canned beans, cottage cheese and greek yogurt, and plain oats or rice or quinoa obviously have no sugar, as well as (obviously) oils, vinegar (sugar, yeah, but not added sugar), mustard, any of the nut butters I buy, etc. And that's not even counting things like frozen fruit, veg, meat, fish, the fresh versions of those, and eggs, all of which obviously are without sugar.

(I do buy some things that have added sugar -- some really obviously, like ice cream -- but most of what I buy or think about buying does not. It's not actually in everything, I hate that claim.)

This is my experience as well. In my pantry, products with added sugar are the exception and I don't even make an effort to avoid it. The only things that I typically see with added sugar are some breads and some pre-made sauces/condiments.

This may come down to how much "from scratch" cooking someone is doing.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Yes, I do know that about bread. I'm not sure why you are addressing me. My question was directed at the poster I quoted.

Um...there is added sugar in all bread. Store bought bread often has more added than is needed. Checking the labels is important. The amount is the difference.
  • 3bambi3
    edited October 2017

Um...there is added sugar in all bread. Store bought bread often has more added than is needed. Checking the labels is important. The amount is the difference.

Yes, I know there is added sugar in bread (not all bread though, as you state), as I have stated multiple times. That is why I was asking the poster I quoted to explain to me her reasoning why her homemade bread with added sugar is a better choice than store bought bread with added sugar. I think that was pretty clear. I'm not sure what you are misunderstanding.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    megpie41 wrote: »

Question: How is the added sugar in your homemade bread different than the added sugar in store-bought bread and why is one better than the other?

Sugar is sugar...that is true, but the amount of sugar in homemade bread is minimal. Maybe 1 tsp in an entire loaf vs 2-4 (average) for 1 serving of store bought. Depending on the bread and/yeast used, sugar might not even be necessary. Some store bought breads have more, some may have less, or they use HFCS in place of sugar. My point being that you know and can contol exactly what goes into a product you make yourself.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I read labels and avoid products that are high in added sugars (including things like HFCS and honey), and I use stevia and/or monkfruit as a sweetener for things like coffee. I choose breads that are high-fiber when I do eat bread (a few times a week). I don't eat large amounts of dairy: a cup of yogurt a day, half and half in my coffee, ice cream once in a while. I don't usually drink sweetened carbonated beverages or fruit juices, and seldom eat candy or pies and cakes. Other than that I don't worry about it a lot and if I do decide to have something with a lot of sugar, I don't beat myself up over it.

Cutting down on sugars for a time is a matter of changing your palate so you appreciate what things taste like without a lot of sugar in them -- just like cutting down on salt so you're not oversalting things -- "detoxing" has nothing to do with it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    But everybody bloats these days (it's like an epidemic), and acne can be caused by lots of things.
    It's very, very, very common for those who quit dairy to report their acne and bloating went away.