A question about newbie gains

I’m not a pro at this and just thought some others more experienced could help me. I use to workout about a year ago not real heavy weights and only a few exercises. Then I stopped and am now focused on heavy lifting and wondering would newbie gains still be available to me? I had others tell me about them but not sure how it all works. Thanks everyone

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Almost everyone notices some gains initially when they start weight training, that is where the term newbie gains comes from obviously.
    Taking breaks (especially long ones) will allow someone to experience these gains again, especially if you hadn't really trained for growth before. Many experienced people take breaks for this exact reason (although I wouldn't call these newbie gains)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    There is such a thing as returners gains too, effectively the same thing so you may well get some. But as a female who, if your profile is recent, isn't overfat your gains will sadly be minimal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Probably. Start lifting and see what happens!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited October 2017
    If you have never lifted (what is heavy for you), following a structured compound, progressive, heavy lifting programme before, you should get some newbie gains.
    Note, for women even this is very small, .5-1 lbs a month. Make sure your protein is good .8-1g per lbs lbm, and your deficit isn't too high, especially if you are within you normal BMI.

If you need help choosing a programme any of the beginners in this thread serve you well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.

Edit. Spelling, and auto correct made this a joke.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    yes, just start a progressive lifting program. eventually you will start to plateau and that's the end of newbie gains Newbie gains aren't really gains, you are just tapping into and learning to use the strength and muscles you currently have. once you hit that limit, if you want more gains you have to actually work hard for it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Yes. You will make very fast progress in the beginning just like everyone else.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @CheyGal18 - you look really really really familiar. You look a lot like someone who has posted a similar question (one that I just answered a few moments ago).
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    You would probably see some newbie gains - there is also a thing called muscle memory - If you have made gains in the past and lost them due to not training you may regain that muscle mass quicker then if you never had it - I don't know if that would apply to you - Hit the weights - eat right - rest & see what happens - Eastcoast Jim