Eating less then 1000 calories

amberjolley17
amberjolley17 Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,

I’ve only started counting calories and I’m not even hitting 1000 a day, could it be that I’m vegetarian

Replies

• Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Are you trying to lose weight? Or gain? If you are losing, then you were probably going over 1000 before you started logging. Seems like a lot of ppl start out really low cal and motivated ab dieting, but then some cravings and hunger will set back in. I would give it a few more days before you start worry. If not, just add a peanut butter sandwich in.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Peanut butter is always the answer.

Ok, maybe not always but hopefully you get my drift. There are plenty of high quality vegetarian foods with which to boost your calories. Hopefully someone will post the link to the list of calorie dense foods that I don't have since I'm on my phone. You really should be eating more. You may feel fine now, but in time that will change. Be kind to your body and feed it!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    See this:

http://budgeting.thenest.com/list-foods-high-calories-vegans-31270.html

If you think you need to avoid all fats -- don't. Choose the good ones.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Hello,

I’ve only started counting calories and I’m not even hitting 1000 a day, could it be that I’m vegetarian

No. I'm vegetarian and often have more than 1,000 calories in a single meal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Maybe she means "vegetative".
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    An easy way to make sure you're getting enough calories is to add some fat to your diet. Dietary fat is good for you! It keeps your heart and brain healthy. You could eat more nuts and nut butters or use more oil - like olive and coconut - in your cooking.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    What foods are you eating? Are you targetting the ones you think are "healthy"? Are you avoiding ones you think are "junk"? Are you mentally eating low because subconciously you think that's better, that you'll lose faster?

Really think of why you can't get over 1000 calories, and fix it. Add in full fat food. Eat nut butters. Avocados. Nuts. You'll be doing your body harm by not eating enough. And you'll have a harder time in when you go and maintain.
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Are you sure you are measuring your food properly? When I started I thought I was eating only 1000 cals a day only to discover I was tracking tablespoons as teaspoons...don't judge me...
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Hello,

That depends, does your food have a face? LOL
    I'm kidding of course, I'd love to know what you're chowing down on.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    [1] If you're not hungry, there is a pretty good chance that you are just underestimating calories by a lot. (this is really common when people start counting calories..after years of portion creep, most people are terrible at estimating 'cups' and 'tablespoons'). A food scale will be an excellent investment.
    [2] A lot of people drastically change their diet to eat completely "clean" (whatever their view of that is). If you really are eating only 1000 calories, then you have overdone that. Note that a certain amount of fat is necessary for the body to work correctly, so add some of those fattier things back in. ..And make sure you are getting enough protein too.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Seems two faced of me to agree with everything people have said when some days I'm barely reaching 1000 calories myself but then I'm dealing with a nasty gallbladder that seems intent on making me suffer if I so much as look a foods with fat in them. Unless you have a medical condion then get those healthy calorie dense fats in and your calorie intake will fly up.