Healthy Fats

ck2307
ck2307 Posts: 21 Member
I'm really struggling to get healthy fats into my diet. I never meet the goal that MFP recommends.
I eat avocados on occasion but they are SO expensive. Nuts are great, but i always end up eating 500 of them so I'm hesitant to incorporate them in my diet. What other healthy, plant-based (I'm a vegan) fats do you guys like?
And how much fat realistically should one consume for health? (If someone could speak to the benefits and the role of healthy fats in the diet as well I'd love to know more about why it's important to get a sufficient amount!)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm vegan too, I get a portion of my fat from avocado, nuts (especially cashews in the form of cashew cheese or cashew cream), plant oils (especially coconut oil and olive oil), coconut, nut butters, vegan mayo, chocolate, and tahini.

I find it's easier to control my portions of nuts when I'm using them as a garnish on other foods or as part of the overall recipe (like cashew cream) than when I eat them as a snack. Using plant oils to dress vegetables is also another easy to way to increase fat in the diet.

Fat is an essential macronutrient. Some nutrients are better absorbed when they're consumed with fat (which is why eating at least some fat with vegetables is important) and it helps keep your hormones regulated. For many people it also helps increase feelings of satiety -- I'm in this group and if I don't get sufficient fat I will feel hungry no matter how much I eat.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    A drizzle of olive oil is usually a nice edition to meals!
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Peanut butterrrr