Hitting macros but not calories count

So let's say I'm hitting all my macro counts properly but I still have left over calories at the end of the day. Is this calorie deficit going to slow down my progress?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    A larger calorie deficit won't slow down your weight loss, but it could leave you feeling hungrier than you need to.

Generally if you're hitting your macros you should come really close to your calorie goal. If there is a big difference, then you're probably choosing some bad database entries.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    And, if I might chime in....

I am sure that you know this, @hcarb001 but others might not....

You generally want to put your primary focus on caloric intake numbers. Get within 5% for each day. I like to think of this value in terms of one week. That way, mentally, i am not freaking out if I am a bit over or under on one day. I mean, I do not freak out over this stuff....but it seems like many do. So, changing the mind set from "daily" to "weekly" might just help people.

Then, you want to put the next level of focus on the macros (and, I include dietary fiber in that.....just saying). You want to be within 10% of your macro numbers.

We also want to ensure that our micronutrients are not overlooked. Super important there....

As mentioned, if you are hitting macros but not caloric numbers then there is likely a 'label issue' going on.

I look at everything that I eat and sometimes (okay, more often than not) the macros do not add up to the calories. So, if something is 22g of Protein (88 Calories) and 0g Carbs (0 Calories) and 9g of Fat (81 Calories) but the label shows only 150 Calories, then we know that something is amiss there.....it should be 169 Calories, right? Okay, okay.....we both know that the label would show 170 Calories.....LOL!

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    A gram of fat has 9 calories.
    A gram of protein or carbs has 4 calories.
    A gram of alcohol has 7 calories.

Your food should be made up of fat, protein, carbs and possibly alcohol.

So if you hit your macros, you should hit your calories.

Perhaps you should check to make sure your entries have the correct nutrition information on them.
  • isay808
    isay808 Posts: 52 Member
    hcarb001 wrote: »
    So let's say I'm hitting all my macro counts properly but I still have left over calories at the end of the day. Is this calorie deficit going to slow down my progress?

At times I have a similar issue with some of my macros/caloric intake data entry. I usually am in a deficit of a couple cals but over if you feel well, and not hungry than listen to your body. Feel free to add me :) looking for motivating people to follow
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    There are often small discrepancies between macros and the calories due to rounding of values.... If they are out a lot, double check all of your entries, you will likely find that calories or macros have been entered incorrectly.
  • yosedomm
    yosedomm Posts: 4 Member
    I'm having the same problem. Thank you for posting this, now I don't feel like I'm the only one who's kind of worried and lost...lol

What also happens to me is at some point of the day, I lose track of one of my macros, I'm doing well and with one single food, my fat or carbs has a spike on the percentage. My question to y'all is, is there an app for better tracking your macros?