Calling all Half-Marathoners

Options
A little background about me: I have always wanted to be a runner, but told myself that I couldn't be a runner because I was overweight. This summer I read a book that basically said not to let the weight stop me. That if I want to run, just do it. In August, I started a C25K. 2 weeks ago I ran my first 5K (yes, I actually ran the entire race!). I am now addicted and 2 weeks into a 10K training program.

I just found out about a new race in my area in April (Marathon/Half Marathon/5K). Immediately I was excited to sign up for the 5K, but then I had someone say that I should do the half marathon since I have a lot of time to train.

Here is where all of you come in. I have never been to/seen a marathon or half marathon race before so I don't know what is typical. This might be a stupid question, but should I be trying to run the entire distance? If not, how often do others take walking breaks? As far as I know there is no time limit on the race, but I really do not want to embarrass myself. I was only able to run a full mile at a time about a month ago, so 13.1 miles is still very intimidating to me.

Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I love the half-marathon distance. It's challenging but you can train for one and still have a life.

Whether you run the whole distance or do a run/walk method is entirely up to you. FWIW there were run/walk pace bunnies at the last one I did pacing for sub 2 hr times and there are people who walk the whole distance.....the beauty of running is that it's all about you, what you want to accomplish.

Given the amount of time you have I'd be inclined to finish the 10K program (and race one if there's one you can fit in) and then start into a HM training plan. I'm partial to Hal Higdon's training plans, they run 12 weeks and he has them for every level of runner. For your first I'd suggest one of the Novice plans....your goal for this race is to finish with a smile on your face.

halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

If you're contemplating a run/walk system check out Jeff Galloway's web site, there are a lot of people who swear by this method.

jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

Have fun!

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @magster4isu Glad that you are doing a progression from C25K, 5k race and B210K with a future HM goal.
    Since you have never seen a HM you might try to volunteer at an aid station for a HM local event - see if you can get into one that is after the 10k mark as that is where you start to see the struggles.

Personally I recommend that you do a minimum of 2-3 10K events before moving on to the HM distance. Every event you do will be a learning experience and you need the experience to help carry you physically and Emotionally during your 1st HM. Different Terrain, Temperatures, event organization, family-friend support and event size have a huge impact on performance.

For a first HM - any HM there is nothing wrong with a walk run routine. I know a local lady who does all her events as walk/run and finish's in the top half of the field. I would highly recommend finding a local running club - group and get involved with them. Quite often you will find that the local Running Specialty store will sponsor-support a club with training runs based out of the store. Enjoy the journey.

Come join the Monthly Running Challenge.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Its a half marathon. pick a training plan that suits yor current skill level. Runkeepers app uses some of the galloway methods to build you either a time goal or just a finish a half marathon plan. They last about 16 weeks so you have time to finish your 10k plan to help you build a good solid base to start your hm training. I just finished my 3rd half this weekend and it was the first one that I started the race feeling like I could make it and actually trying to push my normal plodding pace.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You would not be embarrassed doing a run/walk combo for a half. Fact of the matter is that it's still a pretty reasonable distance so you'll have just as many people out there for the experience as there will be 'serious' runners.

That said, since you do have plenty of time I'd continue to work up to 10K for now and get at least one of those under your belt before signing up for the half. I'm assuming that there's no need to commit yourself to the half right now and it might make more sense to commit to a 10K later this year instead.

The reason I recommend to stage your commitments is more because you simply don't know if you'll enjoy prolonged distance running. It could be that you discover as you work up to 10K distance that you have no appetite to run any further/longer regardless of whether you can physically do more.

Personally, I've found that I stay in a decent place mentally while running up to about an hour and 20 minutes for repeated workouts (works out to about 8-9 miles). I'm fine physically to continue at the end of that time but in reality I just don't want to do any more. I'd rather just finish the run and get on with the rest of my day.

As I discovered this, my running goals have changed. I originally was going to sign up for a HM after the winter but have decided that I'd rather focus on improving my pace at the 10K and 5K distances instead. Since I already know that I can complete 13 miles, I think that running the shorter distances faster would give me more satisfaction.

In addition, focusing on the shorter distances means that my workouts will be shorter and that when I do decide to start running longer distances again, it won't take nearly as much time.

Anyway, just food for thought. Physically I have no doubts that you'll be able to build to a HM distance. Getting to 5K is half the challenge. 10K won't feel like much of a stretch at all and once you're at 10K, it becomes pretty reasonable to add a mile at a time to get yourself to 10 miles or higher.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Consider: "Half Marathon Training Group" http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1788-half-marathon-training-group. I went from 5K to half marathon (2:17:10,@ 61 YO) over the course of a summer, with a couple more 5Ks and a four miler thrown in-between. First 5K May, Half Marathon September. You can train for the Half and still have a life as BrianSharpe said above. Go for it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I skipped the 5k stuff when I decided to actually train for a race, because I was consistently already running 3+ miles. I decided on a 10k for my first race and used the Hal Higdon beginner plans. I felt like that level of training was absolutely perfect for me, and I was perfectly prepared for the 10k and did better than I ever thought I would. After that, I decided to train for a HM and am sticking with the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan. I had to stretch the plan by a few weeks to get the dates of the HM and training to line up, so I will end up having run a 5k and two more 10ks before the HM in December, for a total of 12 weeks of training. So far so good, but I am getting into the weeks where I am running more miles than I ever have. It's colder and it's hard work! My long runs are now exceeding 10k in distance, and I am really liking that--but it takes a lot of gumption to get those runs in.

I second joining the monthly running challenge thread. Good group of people and supportive and super accomplished runners and newbies alike. Great for accountability.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    More than likely, there will be people there covering all bases/ranges of abilities. You'll see some overweight people who can run the whole distance. You'll see thin people taking walking breaks. You'll see strong runners set blistering paces (at least for the first mile or so, then I lose them and never see them again). You'll see people walk/trot most of the distance.

"race" means different things to different people. If you want to do the half, go for it. The only reason not to is if you don't want to do it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I do many races and walk/run is an incredibly common strategy.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    A little background about me: I have always wanted to be a runner, but told myself that I couldn't be a runner because I was overweight. This summer I read a book that basically said not to let the weight stop me. That if I want to run, just do it. In August, I started a C25K. 2 weeks ago I ran my first 5K (yes, I actually ran the entire race!). I am now addicted and 2 weeks into a 10K training program.

I just found out about a new race in my area in April (Marathon/Half Marathon/5K). Immediately I was excited to sign up for the 5K, but then I had someone say that I should do the half marathon since I have a lot of time to train.

Here is where all of you come in. I have never been to/seen a marathon or half marathon race before so I don't know what is typical. This might be a stupid question, but should I be trying to run the entire distance? If not, how often do others take walking breaks? As far as I know there is no time limit on the race, but I really do not want to embarrass myself. I was only able to run a full mile at a time about a month ago, so 13.1 miles is still very intimidating to me.

Thanks!

I take walking breaks during mine, as do a lot of people. My goal for my first half was an average pace of <12 minutes/mile. I think I pre-planned either 4:1 or 3:1 run/walk intervals for that one if memory serves. Definitely double check the cutoff times if you plan to walk a lot (the cutoff time for my first half equated to ~ 13 min/mile pace). I still pre-plan to have walking intervals, especially since the tendency will be to run faster while running than you did in training (behold adrenalin). My average pace is faster in long runs if I take walking intervals - the faster running pace (instead of a tired slog after the first few miles) more than makes up for the walking.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I went directly from 5k to half, mostly due to the fact that I really wanted to enter the Chicago half this year and I had enough time on my hands to train for it. From the sound of things, you do also which is ideal. Not gonna lie, up until the gun went off I still had plenty of doubt and thoughts that I might be in over my head.

What helped me most in preparation was just getting on a training schedule and meticulously sticking with it. For several months, it pretty much consumed me. Work, run, eat, sleep, repeat. The training schedule honestly seemed a bit unorthodox compared to what I was used to, but my advice is to trust in it and it will get you across the finish line. After I got past the 10 mile mark and it became clear I had plenty of gas left in the tank, I kicked it up a notch and finished even stronger than I ever could of hoped for. Crossing the line was one of the most incredible moments of my life to date, just as it will be for you.

As others have pointed out, you are going to see a wide stratum of people from all skill levels if it’s a decent sized event. I saw guys that looked about like a 12 pack a day truck driver lined up that morning. My advice is to forget about the other runners and run YOUR race.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I went directly from 5k to HM training because there aren't a lot of 10ks in our area. (There aren't a lot of races period, except for 5ks.) Building my base wasn't that difficult, and there was a tremendous pride in watching the length of my long runs go from 4 to 6 to 8 to 10 to 13. I've done 5 HMs and 3 marathons at this point.

On race day, you will see a wide variety of abilities and paces. People line up by expected pace, with the fast ones in front and the turtles like me in the back. Most of the people I see in the middle/back of the pack try to run as much as they can, but most walk up the steeper hills. I usually go out too fast, and end up doing some walking toward the end of the race. (Learning how to pace yourself evenly is one of the hardest parts of long distance racing.) I'm not the only one. Most of us walk the water stops. I don't usually see any Gallowalkers, but I know some runners who do that method. The only time I've run into any in a race was at my first 5k, when someone stopped dead right in front of me and I almost ran into them. If you do follow Galloway, make sure you are off to the side so you don't cause any accidents.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I have always done my long runs with run 10 min, walk 1. When you are really tired, it is nice to only think 10 more minutes until walk break instead of 21 more km to finish! It breaks it up for you.

I haven't done any 10K races for a while, but I did 2 recently. I was hoping to get in around 1 hour, but wasn't sure if I could. The first race, I tried to stay with the 60 min pace bunny. I stayed with them until 6km, then couldn't maintain and ended up walking quite a bit and finished in 1:03. The second race, I did 10 and 1's right from the beginning and finished in 1:00:43. So sometimes just that small walk break lets you keep a better pace throughout the race.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I know someone who is a Galloway coach, and she uses a range of different run/ walk intervals, depending on the race distance and the terrain. You've got plenty of time to train up to HM but if you're going to Galloway then it's worth training for that.

I've been experimenting with 60:60 recently and find it helpful for my next marathon. I'm still finding it a little counter intuitive but it does seem to lead to easier recovery and it's not impacting my pace significantly at the moment. That said when it's been researched there is no physiological evidence to support the reporting of lower fatigue and easier recovery.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I do a run/walk combo, and it's served me very very well. I'm able to get a decent time -- better, at least for me, than what I tried to get if I ran the whole thing. Because I didn't want to have to stare at my watch the entire time, I set up a special playlist -- I run for two songs, and walk one. I'm usually able to get about a 12:40-:12:45 mile. It's not fast, but it gets the job done.

Considering I did my first half in May, and only started running anything beyond a 5K in *January* I am more than pleased with my progress. I know every race and training run is either a new goal, or a new lesson learned.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I"m another fan of the half marathon distance.

You've gotten some great tips from others here already. Just pick a training plan you like and go for it. The half is a long enough race that you'll feel quite a sense of accomplishment when you cross the finish line. Just be sure to smile in the race photos!

• Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love the half marathon. I've hit some pretty fast times incorporating walk breaks ( or jog breaks, where I slow my pace for a bit). It only works if you run your plan.

A few years ago, a guy won a local (small) marathon while incorporating walk breaks. He ran the marathon in around 2:56, so not going to win a major race, but still a fast time for a normal human.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Your first HM, goal is to just finish. You can surely fit in walk/run intervals at your discretion.

Based on your level of comfort and getting over the intimidation of it being 13.1 miles (half crazy) doing shorter races like 5k and 10k can only help you.

I have nothing to add but to say enjoy your training and enjoy the race. Nerves and excitement race day will surely seem somewhat overwhelming and these may even help you run better race day.

I have never taken a race day finish line photo that is any good, so don't worry about that.. just cross with pride and even cry if you have to. I did. Emotions are strong!!! Best of luck to you!!!
  • runs4hops
    runs4hops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ample time to train for the 1/2. Find a sensible training program, run/walk, if you have to, and HAVE FUN!! :smiley:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    To the OP here is my story on my first HM. At first I tried to run but I would go out and do two or three miles. The next day my knees would kill me therefore I can't run. I started walking and started playing Ingress.com for fun. As I got into it I started running between portals to attack faster. After several months I realized I was running several miles daily. Hey I am a runner now and my knees don't hurt! I started to focus on increasing my distance and settled on 5 miles MWF and 7 miles on TT. On the weekend I would do a ten mile long run. I came home from a Friday morning run and saw in the paper a half marathon scheduled for the next day. I remember the main road had cones out and thinking "I am driving to the next town to start, can I do this" My routine was perfect training and my first race, a HM, went perfect. I never even felt the need to walk. Go out and have fun, you meet great people and there is no shame in walking. My second HM was 5 seconds slower than my first but the coolest part was this. A woman cheered for the last runner coming up the long hill "come on Nancy". She then turned to the crowd and said that Nancy is 76 years old. With that the whole crowd cheered her on. I will never forget it. Get your miles in and don't worry about the distance The excitement of a race will carry you further than you have ever run before.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have told this story many times, but I found the information so interesting.
    A few years back, our local newspaper interviewed prominent runners in the area about their running and one of the things they asked them was, What is your favorite race?"
    Now, the majority of those being interviewed were known for their marathons. Some others were most competitive in shorter races, like 5k's and 10k's.
    But, almost to a person, they said their favorite race was the half marathon. They said it was a great, taxing run, but it didn't beat a person up like the marathon.
    You've gotten some great advice here.
    I might only add, to reiterate, don't increase mileage too fast. Go slow with increases, and gradually work your way up to 13 miles. I love the suggestion of running a couple of 10k races along the way first; races are, after all, much different from jogging alone.