Quick Question

What burns the most calories?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    As in exercise?

Whatever you enjoy, that you will continue to do, will end up burning the most calories in the long run.

For an immediate answer, high intensity stuff will burn more calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Honestly, you’ll burn more calories just by living and going about your day than you will through exercise. Do the exercises that you enjoy and that challenge you to improve your health and fitness level.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Running a marathon...

No, wait, an ultra marathon would be better...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Not sex. :/
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    In a given time period, cycling hills as fast as possible would probably be fairly high up there.
    But pretty much whatever you might actually enjoy doing is the best option for cardio. running, cycling, hiking, walking, roller-blading, dancing, snow-shoeing, skiing, kayaking/canoeing,...
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Just from a quick google search, I'd say jumping rope! After googling, I'm ready to go buy one lol

What is the best cardio exercise to burn calories?

Aerobic Training Methods & Their Advantages
    Walking (Burns 300-400 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Running (Burns Around 600 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Cycling (Burns Around 600 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Rowing (Burns Around 840 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Swimming (Burns Around 600 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Jumping Rope (Burns Over 1000 Calories Per Hour) ...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Very long duration cardio of your choice.
    My biggest burn was a 9 hour event so that's not really a practical proposition for most people plus you need to at least fuel a significant amount of that burn anyway.

Really OP you are looking in the wrong place for where the key factor in losing weight is going to be for you - a sustainable diet that allows you to eat the right amount of food/calories.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    While none of them are wrong, they probably aren't answering your question. That doesn't mean their advise is bad, so don't discount it, but..

My guess is that, everything else being relatively equal, rowing is probably pretty high on the list.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Just from a quick google search, I'd say jumping rope! After googling, I'm ready to go buy one lol

What is the best cardio exercise to burn calories?

Aerobic Training Methods & Their Advantages
    Walking (Burns 300-400 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Running (Burns Around 600 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Cycling (Burns Around 600 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Rowing (Burns Around 840 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Swimming (Burns Around 600 Calories Per Hour) ...
    Jumping Rope (Burns Over 1000 Calories Per Hour) ...

A list like that is misleading.

Calories burned is based on two things: workload and weight. It is not based on modality.
    Total calories burned in a workout also includes duration.

If you can reach a certain intensity level during an exercise, you will burn the same rate of calories whether it’s running, rowing, cycling, swimming, etc.

Even if rope jumping DID burn 1000 calories/hr (which it doesn’t unless you weigh more than 220 lbs, in which case you likely aren’t going to be doing a lot of jumping), it’s not something that one can sustain continuously for an hour.

There are other factors that affect how hard one can do an activity (e.g. mastery of rowing or swimming technique), and that can vary the calorie burn that an individual can achieve. But a table like the one you list does not use consistent criteria and therefore is physiologically invalid.

I understand you pulled information you thought was correct from the internet, so this is not directed at you personally. It's directed at those who were lazy and posted sloppy, inaccurate information in the original sources.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

The popular press makes it sound like there is magic exercise that burns more calories than any other. This idea is further promoted by infomercials.

As I wrote in my post above, exercise activity is NOT the factor that determines calorie burn. Workload intensity and weight are the key factors.

The “best calorie burner” is the exercise activity that you enjoy doing and that you will stick with consistently.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Being alive...

As exercise goes, just do what you like to do. The particular exercise in and of itself isn't what produces the energy expenditure...you have to look at duration and mass moved over distance and intensity of activity performed.

As a fit and experienced cyclist, I'm likely to burn more calories in an hour of cycling than a novice cyclist because it is more likely than not that I'm going to cover a greater distance and work at a higher intensity level.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    I’m sure even if I knew what it was, I wouldn’t have the interest in doing it ;) I really really love hiking and dancing. I agree with most, find what you enjoy and do that.
  • rparkerslim
    rparkerslim Posts: 398 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Existing.

Your daily BMR (basal metabolic rate) is by far the largest percentage of your calorie burn. That's the calories your body expends keeping your brain functioning, your heart beating, your digestive system and central nervous system going, your liver and kidneys working, etc.

My BMR, according to one calculator, is around 2059 calories per day. That means I'd burn that many calories if I did nothing but lie in bed all day and not move. That burns a lot more calories than any exercise I do, I'd be hard pressed to burn over 2000 calories per day in exercise.

That may be so, but to lose weight you would have to lie there and not eat! Soooooo....

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Existing.

Your daily BMR (basal metabolic rate) is by far the largest percentage of your calorie burn. That's the calories your body expends keeping your brain functioning, your heart beating, your digestive system and central nervous system going, your liver and kidneys working, etc.

My BMR, according to one calculator, is around 2059 calories per day. That means I'd burn that many calories if I did nothing but lie in bed all day and not move. That burns a lot more calories than any exercise I do, I'd be hard pressed to burn over 2000 calories per day in exercise.

That may be so, but to lose weight you would have to lie there and not eat! Soooooo....

No, he could eat 1800 calories a day and lose half a pound a week
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member

I’m making an assumption you’re looking for workout ideas. I agree with others saying to find you enjoy and start there. I like TRX classes a lot and think I get a good workout from them.

I also enjoy bike riding and hiking — I try to find hikes with pretty good elevation change (I’m in Colorado)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The Compendium of Physical Activities indicates
    11250 17.0 11250 17.0 occupation forestry, ax chopping, fast

That 17.0 is a MET value.
    There was a MET value of 16.5 for cross country skiing.

You can peruse the list http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf to see if there's something you can actually do.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Running away from the kitchen!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Running away from the kitchen!

I was going to say putting the eating utensils down...