Shin splints

Options
I joined the gym 4 weeks ago! I'm only able to go 3 times a week so I try to fit in as much as I can, I've been running/jogging on the treadmill for past few weeks but this week my shins are really sore so I've had to just brisk walk on an incline but I really would like to run... Any advice on recovery and how to get back to normal. :(

Replies

• FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Too much too soon... Slow it down. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym 4 weeks ago! I'm only able to go 3 times a week so I try to fit in as much as I can, I've been running/jogging on the treadmill for past few weeks but this week my shins are really sore so I've had to just brisk walk on an incline but I really would like to run... Any advice on recovery and how to get back to normal. :(

Ease into it.

Did you get fit for appropriate running shoes?
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    What kind of 'sore' is it? The actual shin bone hurts? The whole leg feels tight? An ache?

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running outside? I can run for miles outside, but after about a mile on the treadmill my shins are killing me...so I run outside. When I've experienced this pain from treadmill running, I've been able to recover by giving my shins about a week of rest.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Patience.
    Shin splits are an extremely common injury when people start running.
    If you cut back the amount of time you are running, and the distance, for a while, they will heal gradually. Then you can ramp the mileage back up.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    @TeacupsAndToning - shin splint expert
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This same thing happened to me. I had the stamina, but my shins were KILLING ME...so unfair. I can never think of doing a marathon with this type of issue/pain. Arrrrgggggggggggh!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Using a foam roller on either side of the shin bone helps too!
  • mkeonem
    mkeonem Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue on and off for as long as I remember. Even in HS when I was on the soccer team. One thing that I have found that has helped all but alleviate the pain is some stretches of my calves after a little warming up but before actually going on a walk/jog. This, along with proper rest and not doing too much too soon definitely helped me. I don't have the pain like I used to and it is great to finally be able to walk/jog as I enjoy doing both.

What I do is stand on a step as if I am walking up them, making sure there is a railing or something nearby to hold on to for balance should I need it. Then I ease my heel off the step till I am just on the ball of my foot. One side at a time I will slowly lower my heel as far as I can, feeling the stretch in my calf, and the pop back up--not fast but not as slowly as I lowered myself. I repeat this 10X on each side and then go on with my walk/jog. HTH
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the common advice above, pull back and let yourself ease into the running volume.

Stretch your calves a lot after each run. Not just immediately after but throughout the day. It helped me a ton. (Also, make sure you get fit for good dedicated running shoes).

• oliviamcguinness30
    Options
    If you haven’t run like this before, this is the body’s reaction to the discomfort. You need to take it slow - perhaps run every three days and focus on other core cardio machines like spinning bikes or stairmasters.

And you need to exercise daily. Three days a week - you are putting the body on a shock-rest schedule. You need to shock it more so that it will ramp up the readiness to exercise.

You don't need to exercise daily.

I have a busy schedule with a toddler as a single parent etc so 3 days is all I can do in the gym if I could do more I would. I walk with the pram on the other days but I dont feel like it's enough.
  • oliviamcguinness30
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    This same thing happened to me. I had the stamina, but my shins were KILLING ME...so unfair. I can never think of doing a marathon with this type of issue/pain. Arrrrgggggggggggh!

Yeah its so frustrating I game myself up ready to run and as soon as I start i have to stop.. x
  • tracylp6178
    tracylp6178 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dr scholls has a shoe insert for shin splints. I had the same problem but the insert helped so much. Give them a try
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OP, did you get fit for shoes?

did you use C25K to start running? if you are ok with walking a lot then its probably just a case of getting your body used to the running so intervals would probably help. also, as others have mentioned, are you stretching properly?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Shoes. Go to a good running store, get a gait analysis done and buy based on their recommendation. Yes they will be pricey. Do this before anything else.

The other advice is good, and I don't mean to downplay it, but if you want to run, start with the right pair of shoes.