Normal? Or a concern?

Options
I am in the process of gaining weight, 3 weeks ago I was 103.7 lbs and last Sunday I was 111.0 and I decided to weigh myself 2 days later (Wednesday) and I was 112.2 but when I weighed myself last night I dropped to 111.8 lbs. does this mean I’m “losing” my hard earned weight? Something to me worried about? What is your input? I’m feeling discouraged help!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You probably didn't actually "gain" all that weight in the first place, but likely to be some water weight fluctuations. My weight is very dependent on how much food I eat (actual food weight), sodium, how much water I drink (or don't drink) as well as my workout volume.

Just keep doing what you are doing.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If so you were "losing" 0.4 lbs, as far as I understand. That is probably inside the error margin of any body weight scale.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Keep doing what youre doing.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Keep going, if you are eating in a surplus you are not losing weight.

This might be a good reason to not weigh too often. Not sure if you weigh under the same conditions each time you weigh or not.. Fluctuations are going on in our bodies hour to hour, day to day. Think of dietary (carbs, sodium), female hormones, exercise/glycogen replenishment, hydration or lack there of, etc.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You might want to think about using a weight-trending program like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android). With enough data points (about a month's worth of daily weighing for me) it will use an algorithm to predict the overall future trend of your weight. So, in spite of those little fluctuations, you'll know in which direction you're headed and can make adjustments.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It means you went to the bathroom...you don't have to worry about day to day fluctuations. They happen for all kinds of reasons
  • plebbro
    plebbro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I've lost 1.5kg in a single tanning sitting. It's all in the water weight or even food weight if you're a big eater. I could poop heavy and lose a few hundred grams.

In perspective, I'm still relatively new to bulking, and I've stayed at 60 kg for 2 weeks even though I was on an average of 700 cal surplus on a daily basis. I was worried like you are and was a bit dejected thinking my bmr was actually that high. However I just kept at it, believing it was just one of those days. Indeed I've pushed the boundaries with eating just the same. I've gained 3 kg since
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You might want to think about using a weight-trending program like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android). With enough data points (about a month's worth of daily weighing for me) it will use an algorithm to predict the overall future trend of your weight. So, in spite of those little fluctuations, you'll know in which direction you're headed and can make adjustments.

This. Add in Trendweight and you also have a computer based app you can use. Trendweight works with Fitbit devices but you can set up an account and manually enter it.

For those not yet used to water weight flucuations, pick a day you will be mostly around your home and weigh yourself multiple times through the day. You will probably be surprised at how much your weight changes. For me it's not uncommon to have my weight fluctuate 5-6 pounds, and more on heavy cardio days.