Weekly Post - 23.10. - 29.10.2017

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Good morning! Happy Monday (I guess?)!

Thought I'd start us off for the week, even though I'm still a newbie. I was going to post on last week's, but I figured I might as well start a new thread.

Had my 2nd fasting day on Friday, when I was off work because one of my kids had no school. Duuuuuuude. If you work outside the home, my advice is, DO NOT do your light days on a day that you are home! Seriously, that was the worst. Obviously I survived it, but ugh.

This week I am doing Mon/Thurs, so today is a light day. We were busy all weekend, so I did well food-wise on Saturday (I don't always log weekends but just try not to go crazy), and Sunday my husband decided to get Krispy Kreme donuts. I swear to God, he knows better. He really does. He has always been really supportive of my efforts, but sometimes he just loses his mind, I think. Of course that made my kids happy (it was a big deal to them), and calorie-wise, I don't think I did too badly for the day, but still, I just feel crappy. I also promised my sister I would run with her at 6AM yesterday, but that didn't happen because I was lazy. It was pouring rain last night when I planned to go instead, so that didn't happen.

Blorg. Between the donuts and the not running since Thursday, I feel cruddy. I also didn't lose anything last week, but I know that happens and am staying the course. I may need to tighten things up on the weekends a bit, and I know that I am going to cut down on canned soups because of sodium --> water retention.

Just hoping today's light day makes me feel better. My stomach was very growly about an hour ago (after a cup of coffee), but I've been drinking water, which seems to have helped a lot. But after yesterday I was actually looking forward to today's being a light day, so there's that ;)

How is everyone else doing? I hope you all had a nice weekend and have a great week ahead!

ETA that I wrote "blorg" but was incorrectly attributing my feelings to that rather than to the "blerch". This is worth a read if you work out at all: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody! Monday is here. Meh... LOL

Thanks for getting us started @RBXChas much appreciated. :)

Sorry your Light Day Friday went a little rough. Yes, I hear you about when you have more time on your hands it can be harder! My tough window is dinner time, so I find that by getting out and going to the gym after work is a life saver. Otherwise before the gym I would sit around thinking about food. :( On days off or holidays that fall on Light Days, often times we'll go to the gym in the AM so we will be sure to keep busy during that dinner time window - go out for an errand, take a ride, watch something on TV, etc... Good luck this week! I will check out that link you posted!

I did have a great and productive weekend! I officially moved over all my clothes and shoes from spring / summer to fall / winter. No more open toes shoes and flip flops and short sleeves... Sweaters and leather boots are out now! It's okay. I did make a lot of headway with organizing stuff that is now too big and stuff that now fits. Woo hoo! Got some piles ready for the donation center. Thank God for those space bags that you store stuff in and then suck the air out of with the vacuum cleaner - those are a lifesaver and a great space saver!

Light Day today for me. Big water on my desk as well as a green tea. I am going to submit now and check back later. Chat soon!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I made minestrone soup yesterday- except for the beans not being as smooth as in canned soup ( I think I’ll try canned beans next time) it is quite yummy, way less sodium, and has no pasta I’ll need to pick out - so I’m quite pleased. I’ve frozen 6 servings and have two in the fridge for this weeks light days, so as long as I still like minestrone in a month I’m set for a while - lol! I used parsnips ( to help give it a filling potato/pasta feel) - first time I’ve ever bought parsnips- quite yummy!)

I agree with the consensus- busy light days make for easier light days.

I’m still happy with Tues/Thurs as my light days, but this will be my first regular schedule week at my new job, so I’ll be keeping an eye on how I feel.

So, I wish y’all a good day and week!

Also:

You would have to pay me an awfully big sum of money to get me to run, seriously I think of running as a form of torture. Therefore, I share a bit of swimming truth:

i59ukd8gypoo.jpeg
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Thanks, @Meghan509 - I hesitated to post because I didn't want to step on any toes! I have no intention of being an admin or anything like that :)

I'm a little envious of your weather! I think it is supposed to get cold on Thursday, but it's basically 80 and humid still here.

I'm headed to Costco for a few things for the office, and I might stop for a giant $1 unsweet tea from McD's on my way back. I'm chewing sugar-free gum at the moment because my stomach started growling again. Gum is helpful for me, though I understand it messes with other people.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Fast day for me. I actually starting to find it kind of nice to not have to deal with a lot of food on a Monday. And grateful to find my clothes starting to feel loser rather than tighter. Congratulations @Meghan509 on giving clothes away that have "grown"to big to wear.
  • jknight001
    Options
    MIP can be such a goofy app. Just checked in and found it cut off most of my comments. Here is the rest:

@RBXChas - Thank you for getting things rolling. Your voice is welcome here. I loved your first post because I see you trying things and seeing what works for you and what doesn't. So important in this process. If you have a plan that works and you like, then you are more likely to succeed. Regarding your husband going crazy, when that happens to me (usually I am the crazy one) I try to move to foods I like but are not off the sugar or fat deep end. For me, one would be the fruit yogurts, i.e. Chobani. Although some brands are crazy high in sugar, the lower ones are a treat that doesn't cause one to feel yuck later in the day. BTW, your enthusiasm is catchy. Thx!

@ryenday - Thx for the parsnip tip. And I know what you mean by cooking your own beans. It is hard to predict how they will turn out. If they have been on the shelf awhile they can turn quite crumbly.
  • jknight001
    Options
    There must be a limit? :angry: I think my Samsung emojis are the problem. The post cuts off right before the emoji. Here is the end:

Hope you all have a great day. And for today's fasters, hang in there. Tomorrow is less than 24 hours away!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    There must be a limit? :angry: I think my Samsung emojis are the problem. The post cuts off right before the emoji. Here is the end:

Hope you all have a great day. And for today's fasters, hang in there. Tomorrow is less than 24 hours away!

I have had trouble with it cutting off after the emojis, too. The only ones I can use are the ones in the drop-down list at the top right of the reply box.
  • KateNkognito
    edited October 2017
    Options
    STUPID PHONE!!! I had a big long post and accidentally hit the wrong thing and it is gone!
    I had my first successful fast in... forever. I didn't have a plan for dinner, so it wasn't very filling. :/ My tummy was growly today!
    @ryenday I very much agree with your meme! If we had a heated/indoor pool, I would swim year round. :)
    The rest of my post mostly said congrats to everyone!
    Going to bed so I don't gnaw the arm off one of my kids. :D
  • jknight001
    Options
    STUPID PHONE!!! I had a big long post and accidentally hit the wrong thing and it is gone!
    Let's just say that I wish MIP premium gave us a better app rather than calorie goals by meals. :wink:

Great job on getting through this fast. Hope you wake up in the morning with all kid arms accounted for. :smiley:
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Light day for me today. But I have my minestrone soup to get me through it! Truly I feel pretty good and I’m not worried – it is going to be a very busy day (scheduled for extra hours at new job because I’m training) even though I thought it was not going to be.

October 4 (5:2 start) to now: 4.4 pound weight loss! I could not be happier.

I’ve been able to get to the swimming pool again too and am so happy to get back to that.

I know several of you are back on a Five day after a Light day yesterday- so I hope yesterday went well and you have something enjoyable planned for today!

Later folks!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!!

@KateNkognito I totally agree! Typing from phones or tablets via this app is challenging. I have lost countless posts. And if you add in emojis bah! I am a Samsung phone and tablet user as well. I try to avoid those emoji's and use the MFP ones. UGH. Another thing, if you type for to long, it chops stuff stuff off I have found. Or if you are typing up and down and want to turn the phone sideways *poof* post gone. Honestly, that is why I don't check in as much on the weekends. I can but I don't log in as much via computer, unless I am at work. ;) Typing on the phone is frustrating for me...

@ryenday congrats on your soup you made! Parsnips are yummy and thank you for reminding me that I should put them in to one of our soups. We were happy with the vegan pea soup that I made for this week. It did fill us up, even though it is pretty low in calories - comes in at just 200 with how I made it. It is in the links if anybody is interested. VERY quick to make.

@RBXChas I am a big believer in chewing gum! I also have added back a little diet soda. I am not a big fan of artificial sweetners, or artificial anything for that matter but I have found that a Coke Zero Sugar (the new version of Coke Zero) is really good and helps keep me full and satisfied when I am on a Light Day or just once in a while as a treat. Gum, same thing. When I get in the car at night after work I will chew some to keep my mind off dinner!
    Got to love Costco! We have been buying a lot of good stuff there recently for our healthy lifestyle. Organic 2% milk, Kirkland organic hummus (goes nice with baby carrots as a snack), yogurts, Kirkland honey turkey, coffee, laundry detergent, vitamins, peanuts, etc. LOL

@jknight001 thanks! It does feel nice to get some of the old clothes out of the way to have some of the small stuff fit again! We are not donating all of the bigger stuff just yet that is still in good shape or newish, we are moving it in to space bags for now. We don't want to rush it out of the house in case the dreaded weight gain were to happen. BF's idea and I think it is a good one for now. In time we can get rid of that stuff.

Regular day going on today and tomorrow for me. Drinking my water and looking out the window here at the wind and rain. They say we need it, so all good I guess!

Hope everybody has a nice one and I'll check in with you soon. :smiley:
  • Meghan509
    Options
    You snuck in on me @ryenday! So glad you are doing well with the losses and are happy with 5:2!
    Seeing you happy makes me happy and inspired! :blush:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    @Meghan509 I was a Coke Zero addict up until a few months ago, and in August I bought a case of it at Costco as a last hurrah. I got a 1-liter bottle of Coke Zero Sugar, and it seemed fine enough (my husband thought the same, but he's less picky about diet soda - I can't stand Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi), but that's out of a plastic bottle. It always tastes different to me out of a plastic bottle vs. out of a can (vs. soda fountain). I think I'm going to buy a 12-pack of Coke Zero Sugar to try it out of the can. I found that diet soda helped a lot on fasting days.

@ryenday I've heard that about parsnips, that they make great potato substitutes in certain types of dishes (like crock pot soups), so I will definitely give that a try in the future! Glad to hear it worked out for you and that you now have something other than canned soup :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I hit post too soon!

@jknight001 Yes, I totally agree about Chobani! I had a banana one today. I like the 2% ones like coconut. So good. The supermarket where I shop has a pretty good generic version, too, so I will sometimes buy the generic brand, whichever is cheaper (or Chobani if it's close or equal, as Chobani is slightly smoother). I find that it is pretty effective at satsifying my sweet tooth (which is huge). Some of the Chobani Flips are really awesome, but they can be kind of high in sugar and calories, so I don't buy those anymore. However, I could see using them as a loosely planned dessert every now and again.
  • jknight001
    Options
    @ryenday - so happy to see you are making progress on your health goals. I like what @Meghan509 said a few posts ago that 5:2 keeps the metabolism guessing. I agree with that. And keeping the metabolism up keeps the dreaded plateaus away and the weight loss going! Woohoo! :smiley:

@Meghan509 - Love Coke Zero but just drink it occasionally because of the artificial sweeteners and the caffeine. However, I find that sometimes the only thing that will hit the spot is a cold soda. What is Coke Zero Sugar sweetened with?

@RBXChas - well since you like Chobani, I have exciting news for you! B) Dannon (who has always been the Sugar Daddy of yogurts) now has Dannon Oikos Triple Zero NonFat Greek Yogurt. It is sweetened with Stevia so no artificial stuff. I like the Greek yogurts for the increased protein. The calorie count is about the same as Chobani but there is nothing artificial and it tastes great! I have found them out here in Southern California at Coscto and the price was slightly less then Chobani at Costco. They are in flavor packs like Chobani. Don't remember which flavors they have. I know one was peach.

Love doing life with you all. You keep me going for sure!
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Hey, folks! Regular day here, food wise. Work wise... children are nuts! Let's just leave it at that! I NEVER drink, and I had a wine cooler tonight.
    I am so glad to see everyone doing so well! And so many people posting!
    Oh, in case anyone was curious, the pre-menopause supplement I started taking has worked WONDERS! I feel so much better! So, if anyone else is having trouble with change, I highly recommend it. :)
    Ok, off to bed to rest up so I can make children cry again tomorrow! LOL Happy fasting!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

I am loving all the chatter we have going in here lately as well! This is a great group of peeps! I hope all of the lurkers who are reading are enjoying it too and will join in some time. Shout out to all the lurkers! :smiley:

Yes, I agree with you guys about the artificial sweetners and how we should try and avoid them when and if we can. I do eat the sweeteners in my yogurts though too. LOL
    Last time at Costco they had Noosa yogurts and not the inexpensive Kirkland yogurts that we know and love, so we picked those up. They are SO GOOD and if I am recalling correctly they do not have artifical sweetners. Just the real deal cane sugar. This weekend when we go, we will have to decide on which ones we get. We really like both yogurts a lot.
    For my Trader Joe's fans you can get their store brand yogurts for $1 each and those don't have artficial sweetners.

@RBXChas I hear you about the soda! Coke Zero was good too! Good for you for quitting. I pretty much have quit soda since a few years ago. But now I'll do a new Zero once every few days. Yes, they are great when fasting. They don't give you as funky as a breath as coffee LOL and there are no calories. I have to put milk in my coffee... I also love unsweetened ice tea and I will drink that along with water and green tea. But those get boring after a while!

@jknight001 Coke Zero Sugar is sweetened with aspartame. Just went over and checked out the can. So they switched from sucrulose (Splenda) to Equal. Tastes more like a real Coke to me. Yes, same with me - I cannot drink it at night because of the caffeine. Just once in a while during the day.
    In the past I have not been a big fan of steevia. But, I am going to give those new Dannon yogurts a try! I saw the Chobani's at our Costco but not the Dannon. Hmmm... I will probably just buy one at the regular market to see if I like it. Thanks for the heads up!

@KateNkognito glad that medication is helping! Ugh, darn hormones are the worst. Your posts make me laugh. I have a high school classmate on Facebook who always shares funny updates about his kids. A recent one that made me laugh...
    Son: I'm bored.
    Dad: Go do your math homework.
    Son: I'm good.
    :smiley:

Today the rain is clearing so I am going to get out of here for lunch time. Working through lunch really makes the day dragggggg. :'( Going to make a point to go out to a store today and tomorrow and possibly Friday. I have some coupons expiring soon, so will hit some places and take a look around.

Hope everybody is good! See you guys soon!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    @jknight001 and @Meghan509 I have tried the Oikos Triple Zero yogurt, and I wasn't a fan. I simply cannot get past the stevia. I did Trim Healthy Mama for a while, and they pushed that product big time. The only sugar substitute that I found that I liked (and that didn't have xylitol, as we have six dogs) was Swerve, which is made with erythritol. I have also tried Noosa from Costco, which I liked, but the one thing I hate about buying the big packs of yogurt at Costco (including Kirkland brand) is that you can't choose your flavors. I like cherries, blueberries, and peaches but hate them in yogurt. It's not that much more expensive to buy them at the supermarket and get the flavors that I want, so I do that. I wish there were more options, but I get that the majority of customers are probably cool with a two or three flavors.

I ran last night, which was nice because it had cooled down significantly. I did OK but could have pushed harder, and I didn't. I have a somewhat difficult hearing tomorrow morning (I'm an attorney), so I may run tonight to relieve stress. Today's high is 68, so tonight should also be nice and cool. Tomorrow will be a fasting day, so I may use that as my day off and run again Friday night (when I will be home because my younger son doesn't have school). I'm trying to think ahead as to how to make my fasting day not suck, especially since I have to be good on my feet.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

@RBXChas I know what you mean about the yogurts - you kind of have to hope you like all the flavors they give you and if you don't then you are SOL. I have a friend who won't buy the big multi packs for that reason too. When we were at Costco last time the Kirkland yogurts had changed over to a "Fall" theme for their yogurts. So even though we really LOVED the Noosas we will probably pick those up tomorrow night when we go because the flavors sounded nice and they are the best deal price wise.

The issue with us is the amount and space. When it comes to the yogurts, there are two of us sharing them. But it takes a while go through stuff and when we are only eating a few a week. They also have to have a good expiration date and flavors that we both like! We also end up freezing portions of meals when we make stuff so it won't go bad. Takes a lot of planning when cooking and prepping for two people. :) Some stuff we can't or won't buy at the big Costco type stores because it is just too bulky for two.

Good luck with your hearing tomorrow! I am fasting today too, so cheers with my big water! LOL Being busy on your fasting day does help I have found. Hope all goes well today for you!

Not much new here. Already looking forward to the weekend. We will be getting together with friends for dinner on Saturday night. Going to a place that serves steak. I don't eat red meat very often so I am going to enjoy that!

See you all soon. Have a good day!
  • jknight001
    Options
    Hi All!
    I too am fasting today. For some reason the Thursday fasts are tougher for me. Monday-no problem, Thursday-Can I just skip it? :D

Wanted to offer you all a bit of encouragement from something I heard the other day. "Sometimes the greatest miracles God does are not in our circumstances but in our minds." - Priscilla Shirer. All that to say, when your body wants to give up, use your mind to press in just a little more. Resolving to sticking with your food plan a half a day more can lead to greater success the rest of the week. You are worthy of having a healthy body!

@RBXChas - Yeah, I know what you mean about stevia. Once tried a soft drink sweetened with stevia and thought it was worse than the old Tab (don't know if you are old enough to know about Tab sweetened with Sweet and Low). I don't taste the bitterness with the Dannon yogurt but I don't think I have a very sharp tongue anymore. Hope your hearing goes well!

Have a great day and a great weekend all!