NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
Before I get to the point - more successful weight loss (Yay!) - please bear with me for a bit of background, so we're all on the same page.

Your daily calorie burn, or TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is composed of your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, the amount you'd burn in a coma) + NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, your job and chores and such) + TEF (Thermic Effect of Food, calories burned processing food eaten) + EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, your separately- accounted intentional exercise).

For an average person, the biggies are BMR, NEAT, and EAT, usually (not always) in that order from biggest to smallest. We can't do much to change BMR intentionally in the short run, and most people here are already taking steps (heh) to increase EAT, as they can fit it in.

But how much are we all thinking about and effectively increasing NEAT? It can be an immediate improvement, and for some a surprisingly big one, allowing us to either lose faster, or eat more, depending on our personal healthy goals. (The only downside is that new NEAT calories are hard to estimate, but we'll see them reflected in our weight loss rate.)

Some of the successful MFP weight losers/maintainers here have increased TDEE by a reported hundreds of calories daily by increasing NEAT. A couple of common examples are parking further from the door at stores, and taking stairs more often instead of elevators.

What non-exercise strategies are you using to increase movement in your daily life, to burn more calories via NEAT? Share them below!

(I'll add mine in a reply)

Replies