Increasing metabolism by increasing calories and adjusting macros? Want to burn fat and gain LMM

Are you able to increase your metabolism by increasing your calories and adjusting your macros?

Im a male 67kg (146 pounds), 143 cm tall. My TDEE is just under 2500. Pretty active with strength and cardio training.

Before MFP, I've been under eating by roughly 1,000 calories. Now that I'm on MFP I've been aiming for my TDEE of 2,500 calories (struggling at first but slowly getting there). My current macros are:
Carbs: 40% (246 grams)
Protein: 30% (185 grams)
Fats: 30% (82 grams)

My fitness goal is to gain lean muscle mass and lose fat.

Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    It's difficult to both burn fat and gain muscle at the same time. Check out the recomp threads. It might be what you're looking for. Or you could try following bulk/cut cycles, which should ultimately help you gain LMM faster. Adjusting your macros won't increase your metabolism. You need to make sure you get adequate protein, and after that it's debatable. As to whether you have chosen the right calorie goal, you need to also tell us your age and whether you are wanting to bulk or maintain/recomp.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Eating more does have a slight impact on metabolism. But it has to be offset by activity or you will gain fat (if over TDEE). At 146, I can't imagine you have a lot of fat. Are you really only a little over 4.5 feet tall? Pics would help. goldthistime is pretty spot on in their post above.
  • aaronbickers87
    aaronbickers87 Posts: 6 Member
    As to whether you have chosen the right calorie goal, you need to also tell us your age and whether you are wanting to bulk or maintain/recomp.

Im turning 31 in a couple of months. At this point of time im wanting to maintain/recomp while i get my nutrition on track
  • aaronbickers87
    mmapags wrote: »
    At 146, I can't imagine you have a lot of fat. Are you really only a little over 4.5 feet tall?

Whoops. Typo. 164cm tall. Roughly 5.4 feet.

Im pretty lean all over but there is a bit of fat around the mid section that im trying to strip. Finding an effective method is what im trying to find at the moment
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Are you happy with your strength training routine? That may be something others here could help you fine tune.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Recomp. Eat at maintenance and weight train. You'll slowly (very slowly) gain some muscle mass and lose the fat. This assumes a good progressive routine.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Your metabolism will “upregulate” to a point to account for an increase in calories but past this you will gain weight.
  • aaronbickers87
    Are you happy with your strength training routine? That may be something others here could help you fine tune.

Yeah at the moment i am. I've hit a bit of a plateau with my strength gain but hopefully me hitting my calories will push me through it.
  • aaronbickers87
    Your metabolism will “upregulate” to a point to account for an increase in calories but past this you will gain weight.

So dont go too crazy on the calories. I did have a macros calculator insist i eat an extra 275 calories (carb heavy) on training days.