Anyone read the latest research on Keto by Alan Aragon?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    "I never said keto was the smart way" says the person who's called KarblessKreature who spends the rest of his post praising how awesome keto is and that carbs are like drugs.

Also reread my post.
    And a n=1 would refer to one person which is me.
    And if I must I’ll go and look up the studies about carb/sugar withdrawal and it’s resemblance to a drug withdrawal. Sure it will not be hard to find sir. And also have a great day

Great, please post it I'd love to read it.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    ZodFit wrote: »

Calories in < calories out will result in weight loss no matter what you put in your body but putting the right things in your body matter it's the difference of building your house with straw or bricks.

Sure, all compared diets may work essentially the same when perfectly followed (cal in<cal out), but where Keto has the edge (for me and many others) is the diet is highly satiating. After initial adjustment you simply aren't as hungry, what you eat is very satisfying, and (if you aren't a fake baker or using a ton of artificial sweetners in everything) you lose your cravings for sweets. So while it may not "work better", it is easier to stick to for a lot of people.

Also, many people feel better when they eat ketogenically. My arthritis is much improved when I am not eating grains and sugars. I also sleep better and have less brain fog. YMMV

Yeah i totally agree. I'm going to give keto another go. I felt foggy about t days then I binged carbs. I truly think keto is for me...just have to try harder
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited November 2017
    Basically called the mesolimbic pathway. Search mesolimbic pathway and sugar and you’ll get many many many studies on it. Pick which ever you want. Basically stimulates how far your willing to go to get something. And sugar stimulates it just like a drug. Happy reading.

You said you'd post the study. I've never found one that says it is like a drug withdrawl.

I've never seen people steal or *kitten* to fund their sugar addiction
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Why do so many people who enjoy keto get all tied up in knots when people say it simply isn't for everyone and it is not superior to any other way of eating. If fat is satiating to you, brilliant. If it helps health conditions you have (still waiting to hear how it helps sciatica, a nerve compression problem) then also brilliant. Unsubstantiated claims about how much better it is than evil carbs, you are going to get pushback.

I am not against keto. I am against any dietary evangelists. I feel the same way about people who are vegan because they think it a superior way of eating, not because of ethics. I feel the same way about vegans who aren't eating enough protein because "we don't need so much protein".

I am for everyone finding a way of eating that meets nutritional, psychological and sustainability needs. Short story, full stop.

I need to pinch that sentence.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    So I wouldn't assume that those who are lower fat, eat nothing but junk food. Just like those of who shouldn't assume that those that are following ketogenic are eating nothing by processed meats, pork rinds and other fried junk foods. Both diets and anywhere in between can be done in a healthy and unhealthy way.

eta: I think it's funny that any discussion of actual research data that doesn't support keto is considered anti-keto instead of pro-science. This has been a debate for awhile that keto is suboptimal for muscle building and lifting. This supports those discussion.
    I am not against keto. I am against any dietary evangelists.
    I am for everyone finding a way of eating that meets nutritional, psychological and sustainability needs. Short story, full stop.

Both of these sentiments express my thoughts on the topic better than I could. Especially the bolded. Thanks
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    Once again reread my post. Never said keto was the best diet to build muscle the fastest. Just that one could slow bulk. And once again all these post are indeed directly against keto. And also sugar addiction is real and withdrawals symptoms are also. You can’t refute the science of the mesolimbic pathway. Yes they just ruin their health cause no one will call buying a candy bar a waste of $ or a drug lol. Band processed sugars and see what happens. Yes robbing pillaging murdering would ensue.
    And blue zone diets 70% carbs I think not. And from what I remember quite a few of those places consume high amounts of fish/eggs/dairy(goat). And majority of their carbs are unprocessed and are from high fiber veggies/nuts/seeds. They also consume way less calories then here, so gram for gram are lower in carbs So compared to the AMD this would be considered low carb. All of these things would give them a relatively equal distribution of macros leaning toward a slightly higher carb intake maybe a 40/30/30. For arguments sake I’ll give you 60/20/20 but 100g carbs is low carb here in America my friend.
    As for Italy being in the blue zone it isn’t only Sardinia is. I’m also quite family with Italian food culture and your wrong, they don’t eat tons of processed carbs. Btw these are the 5 places that are Blue Zone
    Okinawa (Japan); Sardinia (Italy); Nicoya (Costa Rica); Icaria (Greece) and among the Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California
    As for the sciatica issue, processed carbs cause inflammation in the body even if you don’t really notice it with any outward symptoms. When I cut them out my back especially and other joints felt considerably better(probably could of gotten the same by cutting the processed carb out my old diet). The last aleve I had was about a week into keto, since then none.
    Also never said that the studies data wasn’t relative, quite the opposite in fact. Believe I said I would use anything that I deemed better for my overall health. So also like I said after a full year of being fat-adapted I’ll switch to a CKD for a year and see how that goes. I’m always n=1. Cant wait for the OP’s study to finish knowledge is king.

Read and weep. Also, Tukisenta & Ewe tribes eating huge amounts of carbs(+90% carbs), or the Kitavans (69% carb diet), or the Hadza (lots of honey, fruit, animal products) or the Kung San (moderate carbs with lots of nuts), or the Ewe Tribe (who eat a diet of basically NOTHING BUT insulin-spiking carbs ... literaly 98% of the diet). Here is a Kitavan(those carbs are really fattening huh)
    kitava01.jpg
    VEGAN+VEGETARIAN+CENTENARIANS+-+Okinawa+Diet+-+PIE+CHART+-+98%25+Vegetarian+-+96%25+Vegan+-+Only+1%25+Pork+-+Scientific+Study.jpg