Scent-free (perfume, cologne) gyms

Options
Should your local gym try enforce a scent-free (perfume, cologne) gym environment? If 'yes', how should they deal with offenders?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How exactly would that be enforced? By making people shower before they go in?!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Who wears perfume to the gym? You're just going to sweat.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    no

Ditto

If they did that then they would have to ask the stinky peeps to shower too. If this position does become a reality, I think the job title for this new position should be "gym-sniffer"
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty slippery slope, there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    How exactly would that be enforced? By making people shower before they go in?!

I think the more frequent problem is people taking a cologne/perfume bath post-workout in the locker room instead of a shower with soap and water. I guess the gym would have to depend on members to report other members, once they stop choking and are able to wash the cologne/perfume out of their eyes.

Why does it matter what they do after the gym??
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    While I wish it could be a thing, I have no idea how a gym could enforce the rule without offending their paying clients.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    In my perfect world, gyms would be scent free, but deodorant compulsory. Alas, the world doesn't revolve around me, and I appreciate personal freedom enough to realise I have to put up with others exercising theirs.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I absolutely gag on people's cologne and perfume. Nothing wrong with a subtle scent, but the strong stuff actually hits me in the mouth, the throat and the eyes. I am going to say that people should simply just know better. No one should go out among people smelling like a fragrance counter. IN the gym where all that sweat and body heat are swirling I can only imagine how bad it would get. :s
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you could possibly enforce it, honestly.

However, If there was a gym that managed, they'd increase patronage from certain groups - like a lot of folks with asthma, with chemical sensitivities, with severe reactions to sulfites (which are in the top 10 sensitivities in Canada, for example, but are a preservatives in most perfumed products).

I don't know if it would make up for people they'd lose who feel like what they do to their bodies should not be dictated to....even if, technically, it is something that spreads beyond their bodies and affects the people around them, you know?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    it would be a dream come true but it is unrealistic
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You know, most churches and many other public places already have the policy. I think mostly it works on honor code, and people generally respect the request.