Scent-free (perfume, cologne) gyms

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    GailK1967 wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about perfume in gyms but in my perfect world no one would be able to eat fish in a public place or work lunchroom.

Me neither.
    There are a lot worse smells at the gym besides cologne or perfume, in my opinion.

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    i think it honor code enforced but my gym locker room has big signs proclaiming it to be a scent-free facility and banning scented product. Most people seem to abide except one or two who I suspect wear the scent into the gym.

I'm very grateful for the policy.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    No. If people are coming right from work there's supposed to stop and shower off before going to the gym? No one is allowed to put lotion on after a shower? If there is a particular person who put on an excessive amount of perfume/cologne, then talk to the gym manager about it.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    You know, most churches and many other public places already have the policy. I think mostly it works on honor code, and people generally respect the request.

Really? Do you mean wearing or applying them? I think there is a difference - there is much more likely to be overspill whilst applying. Not being able to wear perfume in a random, typically ventilated public space can't be that common surely?

FWIW I do like to wear perfume. Especially on a "day" trip to London that sees me leave home at 350am and back by 1030pm if I'm lucky. Perfume definitely smells better than me by that point! I don't go to the gym though, and if I have to put it on in a public bathroom it's just one spray directly on me so it doesn't spread. Actually I only ever use one spray. Hopefully that's little enough to not impact on those with allergies (whilst still having the desired effect for me).

• Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    You know, most churches and many other public places already have the policy. I think mostly it works on honor code, and people generally respect the request.

Really? Do you mean wearing or applying them? I think there is a difference - there is much more likely to be overspill whilst applying. Not being able to wear perfume in a random, typically ventilated public space can't be that common surely?

FWIW I do like to wear perfume. Especially on a "day" trip to London that sees me leave home at 350am and back by 1030pm if I'm lucky. Perfume definitely smells better than me by that point! I don't go to the gym though, and if I have to put it on in a public bathroom it's just one spray directly on me so it doesn't spread. Actually I only ever use one spray. Hopefully that's little enough to not impact on those with allergies (whilst still having the desired effect for me).

I think these places maybe have a "no excessive perfume/cologne" rule, and that reasonable fragrance is allowed? I could be wrong.
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    GailK1967 wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about perfume in gyms but in my perfect world no one would be able to eat fish in a public place or work lunchroom.

I think you'd feel differently if you had allergies and the excessive use of perfume/cologne triggered a reaction for an hour or two afterward.

True. But I can avoid gyms. I'm allergic to fish and seafood and have violent vomiting fir 2-4 hours after smelling it - and it's instant. I seldom have time to get to a bathroom to vomit.

I can't avoid lunchrooms, planes etc as easily as I can avoid gyms.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Relser wrote: »
    No. If people are coming right from work there's supposed to stop and shower off before going to the gym? No one is allowed to put lotion on after a shower? If there is a particular person who put on an excessive amount of perfume/cologne, then talk to the gym manager about it.

We'll let the French prostitute come in after work smelling like perfume. For the rest of the world, the smell has long dissipated. If not, think how strong it was at 8 AM. Their co-workers would have killed them

If you're next to me(within 3 meters) and I can tell you've used fragrance today, Meh.

If you're on the other side of the gym(more than 10 meters away) and I have trouble breathing because of the quantity of fragrance you've used within the last 10 minutes, that's a foul... and That's foul.

And yes, both males(axe) and females(chanel) are offenders

Oh, and if you're using Patchouli and you're over 25, you ought to know that Raid uses Patchouli to disguise the smell of their ant and Wasp sprays.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    two thoughts not directly related to the qusetion but they seem to be part of what's being discussed.

1. there's a difference between not liking a smell and being physically affected by it.
    2. there's a difference between a rule and an awareness-raising type thing.

i guess my own processing is: if places do make a rule then they should enforce it, damn it. but that's just because i get generally irritated with anyone who says things and won't follow through.

on the other hand, i'm a hypocrite because my gyms have a clear rule that 'footwear' must be worn at all times, yet i peel my shoes off to do deadlifts and overhead press if i don't have my flat soles with me.

and on the third hand, if i do get approached and told to shoe up or go home, i accept it as fair. i know there's a rule, i know it's a rule, and i know that i'm breaking it when i am breaking it. they have the right to enforce, and the whole thing is on me.

so i guess my thoughts come down to something like that. if a gym posts a rule and it is clearly a rule, then people who break it should know it's on them.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Perfume free gym actually makes sense to me, but lots of places are fragrance-free zones where I am so it seems normal to me. Scent allergies are HARSH. Just unbelievably painful. So I can see a gym posting notices to “please respect the other patrons and not use exessive scented products” or something like that.

Not to ban it completely, but to say, “Hey, we’re all here for dem gainz so let’s respect each other in this way as well, k thanx.” Lol

And then because we are all grownups we try to be a bit more mindful of those around us thanks to the gentle reminder.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    FWIW, I am extremely scent sensitive.

Too much perfume or fragrance in the air will give me a massive headache. I can't even enter an area w/a strong fragrance in the air.

I have often stepped into a store to find the smell so overwhelming that I have to immediately turn around and walk out. Same applies to elevators that I have to exit if anyone w/a strong scent gets on.

Being seated at the theater or a concert is a bigger problem for me because I have an assigned seat and can't move away. At the movies, I can just move to another seat.

Some women wear perfume so strong that I can still smell it after they have walked a block past me on the street. LOL! I could be a human bloodhound and track them from blocks away, if I didn't find the odor so physically unpleasant.

That said, I have never had a problem with anyone - male or female - wearing a strong fragrance in the gym. Actually, I don't recall it ever being an issue in any gym I've been in over the past 40 yrs. Maybe it's because I don't hang out near the cardio machines where most of the women gravitate but if there were a strong scent anywhere in the gym I would have noticed it.

Not saying it doesn't happen or that a rule against it in gyms wouldn't be beneficial. It would be just as useful (from an odor perspective) as the rules against smoking in any confined public spaces.

No one really wants to smell or breathe in anyone else's odors in a confined public space, whether they originate from perfume, smoke or plain old BO.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Most everything should be outlawed, most everywhere.

And remember, don't trust a friend....... report them!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    edited November 2017
    Axe body spray needs to be banned from society in general, not just the gym.

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    I just left YMCA for a different gym.. YMCA locker rooms were more spaced out and I didn't think twice about using my body spray after my shower.. My new gym seems to have smaller areas so out of respect for others I quit using the body spray.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I would be happy with a deodorant/antiperspirant requirement! Seriously
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Oh, and if you're using Patchouli and you're over 25, you ought to know that Raid uses Patchouli to disguise the smell of their ant and Wasp sprays.

A few weeks ago, we had 6 or 7 apple trees blooming. I kept smelling Raid, and realized it was the apple blossoms. Baby powder scent is actually a patchouli/rose blend. I wish Raid smelled like patchouli.