Is it better to work out alone or in a group?

This study (see link below) is admittedly using a small-targeted group, but the results are intriguing to me.

https://gizmodo.com/working-out-in-a-group-is-better-for-your-mental-wellbe-1819983882

What do you think - Is it better to work out alone or in a group?

I personally would like to work out in a group but can't figure out how to do it since I swim, cycle and run. My reason for working out alone is that I would be holding back, or would be held back, by whoever I was working out with - not to mention the time/distance involved. But I have had a change in heart as of late and try to get at least a monthly group ride or run at slower pace to be inclusive to the slowest in the group...then go out for a sammich or pizza and a beer or whatever.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    IDK...cycling, whether I'm in a group or on my own is very good for my mental health and stress levels. I'd be curious as to what kind of exercise the go it alone folks were doing. The times that I've spent droning away on cardio machines never gave me much other than I got some cardio in...no real feel goodz and whatnot. Riding is a whole other story. Riding makes me feel as though my day is complete.

I ride alone most of the time...I do a big group ride about once a month or so...and I occasionally ride with my trainer's wife and my wife.
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Good luck organising a group OP. I might try the same for my long run on the weekend and see if I can find anyone to join.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2017
    It's interesting that working out alone could include working out with up to 2 others. I rarely "workout" but when I do I tend to do it alone. My activities are split about equally done alone or with others, but would mostly qualify as alone because when it's with others it's often only 1 or 2 others.

Edit: I also found it interesting that those that chose to workout in groups had lower baseline emotional ratings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I mostly prefer to workout alone, but there are definitely ways to workout with others given your preferred activities:

Biking -- this is one I enjoy doing with others if it's thought of as a pleasure ride vs. workout. I also enjoy a century or shorter group ride as a motivator. Around here, many bike shops and Meetup.com have lots of weekend group ride options, and they will specify planned route and speed.

Running -- lots of training groups, similarly check out running shops and meetup and any local running groups (there are big marathon and also winter training groups here). Again, these often either have a planned pace (or groups at different paces) or you meet up afterwards somewhere.

Swimming -- masters swims can be helpful, searching online should turn them up.

Triathlon training groups are popular too -- main reason I've ever done group swimming workouts.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

Depends on the group and what you want to get out of the run/ride. Sometimes its good to just get the distance in in an enjoyable manner (with a slower group). Other times, a group that's a bit faster than you will push you to work harder than you would on your own. On a 'bad air' day, it's also encouraging to see that it isn't just you struggling at a slow pace. A lot of group activities have a range of paces/speeds within the group too and splits up into sub-groups.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't like working out with other people, not even around me in a gym setting. Even I annoy myself sometimes..

That pretty much sums me up!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Depends on the activity and length of time.

When I played basketball, well... you need other people. LOL

I like to run and lift on my own except for the the very long runs. Three hours on my own gets boring. I used to arrange for a friend to join me for 10 km in the middle or end so I would have someone o visit with. For runs shorter than an hour I am very happy on my own.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    I like to work out alone. I like to put my headphones on and get into my own headspace. I know if I work out in a group I will push myself more though.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Mostly alone but am in a swim class with 5-6 other people and enjoying it.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    the lasts 2 saturdays the community workout at my CrossFit gym involved team-based workouts.

First week the class was divided into groups of 3. The workout had crazy high reps

100 cal assault bike
    100 thrusters
    100 box jumps
    100 pullups
    100 box jumps
    100 thrusters
    100 cal assault bike

Each person in the team would take turns doing as many reps as they could, then tap out, repeat until all reps were done.

It was so much fun.

Last we we were paired off for another team-based workout

AMRAP 30

50 cal row
    400m run

4 rounds of "Grace"

5 pullups
    10 pushups
    15 air squats

Each person would do half the exercise, then tap off for the other person. So 25 calories on the rower, swap, then run 200m, swap, 1 round of grace, swap, ect.

Also turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited October 2017
    What do you think - Is it better to work out alone or in a group?

In general I usually like to bike alone. It's pretty widely held that fast group rides are a better form of training than solo riding because most people push themselves harder in a group. There's an energy that goes with it, and nobody wants to be the slowest person around. Of course, a solo ride is easier to schedule and I can go where I like.

Rhythmic cardio exercise doesn't just make you tired, it transports your mind to a quieter, more serene place. I don't think it's possible for that to happen when you're talking or listening to words. And that tranquility an important part of why I ride.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Occasionally it's fun to work out with someone else. But I'm picky about who I'll train with. And it's only for barbell stuff where I might want a spot.

I know that some people find group stuff motivating, which it can be. But I don't need others in order to push myself and I like the time to jam to music and get away from being social.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    My working out alone is best for everyone. The only group exercise I do is yoga, and that's only if it's in a brewery and I get a pint after...