WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options
6vhvmqot4333.jpgebpp682ix52n.jpgfevrvvxeb6z7.jpg

Welcome to the thread that has encouraged and supported me for a long time. The journey to health and fitness seems to be smoother with others walking by my side.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for October?
What goals and resolutions have you set for November?

I found that logging food and exercise and checking in with the women on this thread has provided a strong base for my weight loss journey. I hope the same will be true for you.

Don't forget to bookmark this page so you can find it again.

October Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk an average of 15,000 steps a day (done)
*continue to photograph and read and discard sentimental items and papers (great progress)
*weight training three days a week (didn't get to this until almost the end of the month)

November Resolutions
*walk an average of 15,000 steps a day
*scan photos and documents so they can be discarded
*weight training three days a week

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I'll have to wait for pics from the photographer for a pic of me. If I'm not mistaken, he puts them up on the web, you get a password and then can view them. I believe I can download them, too.

Apologies to those who aren't religious at all. Did you happen to notice the handkerchief around Denise's bouquet? That is a handkerchief that her godmother put ribbons on and she wore it when she was baptized as a bib. Now they put it around her bouquet for her to carry down the aisle (something old). Thank you everyone for all the nice compliments. I, too, think my daughter's are gorgeous. But then again, I'm a bit biased (do ya think?)

Wendy - have a wonderful trip.

suebdew - I had a box of tissues in the pew in church at the wedding.....seriously

Chris - love your pumpkin. We had about 30 T or T'ers. The rest of the opened candy is in Vince's office, out of my sight. What bags weren't opened will be returned.

For everyone who is looking for a pic of me -- I'll probably have to wait for the ones from the photographer. I couldn't take a pic of me! It'll come

Michele in NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Barbie Thanks for the new thread! You are the glue that keeps us together.

Michele Gorgeous women in that wedding party. Now we will patiently wait to see the mother of the bride.

KJ Ditto what Rory said. Adorable kids, who obviously adore you! You are an amazing childcare provider. What lucky children! Your scarecrow costume was great.

Heather I would've given those cutie pies double candy, too!

Janetr Mia is sooooo stinkin' cute! And Belle is lovely.

I worked tonight, but my partner said we got a fair number of trick or treaters, including the 6 children who recently moved in next door. I love that we got a bunch of kids this year. Some years we have so few.

Happy November!

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    This was October ...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    September went better than anticipated ... hoping for a good October too! Roughly the same distance/hours as in previous years ... or more. :)

Oct 2015: 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Oct 2016: 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min

2017 Monthly October
    Walking Distance (km): 128.1
    Walking Time (min): 1601.3
    Cycling Distance (km): 519.0
    Cycling Time (min): 1620.5
    Flights of Stairs Climbed Number: 253.0
    Flights of Stairs Climbed Time (min): 202.4
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 15.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 647.1
    Total Distance (miles): 402.1
    Total Time (min): 3439.2
    Total Time (hr): 57:19:11

All done! And much better than my previous Octobers! :)

I'll get to November shortly.

Meanwhile I've already started with a 5.9 km walk to the botanical garden and back just now at lunch. :)

Machka in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Michele I too wanted to say the wedding pictures are gorgeous. Beautiful daughters, must take after their Mama. <3 You have every right to be proud.

Janetr okc

PS I too was surprised by Vince's hair. It's funny how we get a mental picture of someone??
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Machka - I do have a facebook account but don’t use it… I have enough trouble staying in touch here, and some how facebook seems fake to me, everything is “pretty-ed up” and that’s not real life, or at least not my real life.

Allie – if you can take yourself from where you were 2 years ago to where you are now you can figure out the work thing no problem… Remember they are looking at the business bottom line, prove to them with documentation if possible that you are an asset to the business bottom line – it’s not about fair or others spouses income – just keep it about what you add to the business and there’s the proof!

Lisa – happy, safe travels

Heather – loosing someone you love is never easy no matter the circumstances my heart goes out to that family

Michele – Jess and Denise are both beautiful young women – I was surprised that Vince had longer hair, I expected a crew cut, isn’t it funny how you imagine someone you’ve never met.

Rita – I’m in CA between the coast and Yosemite! Love to have you!!!

It’s just a bit after 8pm here, I keep lights on for trick or treaters until 9pm, so far 31, last year I had 47 --- yes I count them, certain things I’m really into keeping track of other things… no worries.. Halloween is tough on Levi, everyone comes to the door and has food, no one shares with him or plays with him, he just doesn’t think it is fair….

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Thanks for leading us to health and fitness!

Michele - Beautiful Family <3 Thanks for sharing. The wedding pictures turned out very nice! I had kind of a empty feeling when my Children married. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Joyce - the girls are adorable!
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thanks so much for starting the thread.
    Michele, the wedding photos are gorgeous! What a lovely thought to have the baptismal bib incorporated in the bouquet, makes it extra special!
    Such wonderful photos of littles dressed up for Halloween. We quit giving out candy about 5 years ago, we had so few kids coming up our end of the street, decided it wasn't worth it. We just moved in June, weren't sure what was going to happen this year. We are in a townhouse complex, but there are only 10 units. As we are on a panhandle lot with the driveway being very dark, I wasn't expecting any kids. Don't know if the neighbours got any, we didn't, but I didn't have any lights on either.
    Well, October's one goal was to not snack after dinner. That didn't work out so well..... Managed to do it a few times, but kept forgetting and would end up snacking.... But, I am going to keep that as a goal, I figure if I keep at it, I will get it eventually! I am also going to add going to the gym at least 4 times per week. I have a TRX class once a week, at the rec centre, but also belong to a women's only fitness centre where I can "do my own thing". It's a fairly good place, I really like the women only part, going to the rec centre and having to deal with the men and the women primping and prancing for the men.... UGH! Not that I'm against men, per se, I did marry one and like him just fine. Also gave birth to two boys who have turned into fine young men, but when I'm at the gym, I'm there to work out not find a life partner! lol
    Okay, that's enough of a rant for tonite!
    Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween! Heard fireworks earlier, didn't bother to look. Neighbours a few streets over had fireworks on Saturday night, I went out on the deck and enjoyed the light show! I do enjoy fireworks once in awhile. And now that the cat is deaf, she's okay with them too. Used to have three cats, Halloween was special then! One was a mostly black one too. We did not let any of them out Halloween night! The black one got out one night, got to the edge of the yard and some kids came up the street, he sure made a beeline back to the house in a hurry! (thank heavens!)
    Joyce, so nice that your Michele is giving that poor cat some tlc.
    And I need to hit the shower and then bed!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... Happy November! Thank you, Barbie, as always, for your dedication to the proposition that keeps us together and chatting one month to the next.

DJ - We've known each other so long here that I'd quit looking at where you live... pretty cool that I'll be that close! And yep, I think I'm closer to you than to the rest of the NC crowd... :smiley:

Rori - Hope your brother can take it as the call to action he needs to finish with alcohol. Sorry you've not been feeling well.

Joyce - Sounds like Mozart thoroughly enjoyed himself on Halloween night.

JanetR - Mia's SUCH a cutie!

Corey and I were talking about it last night, that the time change this weekend will be zero impact for us - just as we get in the Eastern Time Zone, we will drop back to the time we're at here in the Central Time Zone now, so... big shrug.

Packing and loading day - and allowing my husband to sleep in on a weekday until he wakes up. That is, perhaps, the biggest pleasure of all. D-Day (Departure Day) tomorrow, early as he'll let me roust him. We just have no idea how fast he's going to be able to go in the pickup towing a fully loaded trailer. Today... I'll pack and get it out to the trailer (the handy part about having your own warehouse, Corey backed it up onto the warehouse floor to load it). He will actually pack the trailer.

Oh. And cleaning. My favorite.

Lisa, leaving tomorrow for NC - and thanks for all the good wishes!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, my boss had a little Halloween celebration. He does that every year because he likes Halloween ... the rest of us really don't care one way or the other, but hey, if there's going to be nicely decorated cupcakes ... :)

Anyway, the conversation turned to pumpkins.

Here in Australia everything in the pumpkin family is a pumpkin, so this includes squash and whatever else. Also the pumpkins that look something like North American pumpkins aren't hollow inside. They are full of edible flesh, with just a small area of seeds right in the middle.

So my boss, who has spent some time in the US, and I were describing to everyone how the North American pumpkins were basically hollow except for a bit stuff that's kind of like netting and the seeds in the middle. I told them that that I used to roast the seeds, which they'd never heard of, because, of course, the pumpkins here don't have those kinds of seeds.

And then we started talking about pumpkin pies. Quite a few of them had always thought that pumpkin pie was a savoury dish, and didn't know it was sweet. They'd also never heard of pumpkin muffins (as a sweet thing) or pumpkin lattes etc. etc. In fact, they had a bit of trouble getting their heads around the idea of a pumpkin as sweet. I've never been fond of pumpkin pie, and you should have seen their faces when I said I used to put maple syrup on my pumpkin pie to make it taste better !! :lol:

I also told them that I much prefer pumpkin as a savoury food ... as a vegetable ... like how it is served here. For 40 years, I never could really get into pumpkin as sweet ... I was never one who could hardly wait for pumpkin pie or would anxiously wait for pumpkin lattes and all that to appear on menus. And yet, with my first pumpkin and curry soup ... I discovered I really like pumpkin!

I remembered I had a can of pumpkin pie filling in my cupboard that a former coworker had gotten for me, so I brought it in today to show them. :) They were quite interested in that, having never seen a can of pumpkin pie filling before.

Now they want me to make a sweet pumpkin pie so they can try it, but I don't know ... the can is past its "best by" date by 7 years. Yes, I've been dragging it around with me for 7 years! :lol: Maybe I'll see if I can contact the one place in Australia where I think I can get a can of pumpkin pie filling, and see if I can get a "fresh" can.

So, with all the talk about pumpkins, tonight my husband served up pumpkin, ricotta and spinach lasagna. :grin:

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Thank you again dear Barbie for being the glue that keeps us together..
    last night my heat went on .. am keeping it on automatic and set at 65 with electric heat i will try and use sparingly.. will also try and see if I can get my friends son maybe next week to come and do the thermostats I want this place as energy efficient as possible.. I am packed for the trip tomorrow..will pick dad up after I get out of work.. and go to bed early.. have to go to Toms early before we leave to take the boys for a walk.. will try and check in tonight but cant promise.. and will drop the no driving bombshell on dad when he gets down here tonight..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Machka wrote: I remembered I had a can of pumpkin pie filling in my cupboard that a former coworker had gotten for me, so I brought it in today to show them. :)
    [...] but I don't know ... the can is past its "best by" date by 7 years. Yes, I've been dragging it around with me for 7 years! :lol:
    I've also got one of those. Maybe even two! :lol: I can't check the best-before date because they're out at the country place. But I'm pretty sure I bought them before we moved to Norway, and that was 13 years ago. :noway:

Never mind. I'm a big girl now, and if I decide I need a pumpkin pie, I can make my own pumpkin puree.
    /Penny, not currently at thet07190.gif and still waiting for the power company and the chimney sweep

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for Another Month of Sharing and Friendship! :)

Love, Love, Love all the photos from the end of Oct til the Beginning of Nov. Michele, your wedding photos are great. Waiting for one of you.

Even though I know a lot of you like the idea of the time moving back, please remember all the little kids who have to board the bus in the dark.

Having wood delivered today to acclimate so it can be installed next week. Wooo! Yipee!

Carol in GA