Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Air Plane seats

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    So in your people's opinion was my comment rude?

Nope, true statement.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Per IATA here are the profit speculations from 2016 gained per passenger:

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2016-12-08-01.aspx

On average, airlines will retain $7.54 for every passenger carried.

I used to think this when I was 60 lbs heavier. I don't anymore.

From your article the airline industry has a 4.1% net profit margin and people are bitching about cost. Apple makes over 22% and people pee themselves standing in line waiting for a new iPhone with some unneeded gimmick. Airline service/space could be pretty good it they could price to get 22% margins.

Note that profits are at a relatively high point due to decreased fuel cost. In the last decade increased operating costs have lowered profits to under 1 USD per passenger carried.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Airline seats are not comfortable, wish it was a little bigger but it would be too costly. If someone cannot fit in their seat some airlines ask them to purchase another seat.
  • Packerjohn
    Per IATA here are the profit speculations from 2016 gained per passenger:

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2016-12-08-01.aspx

On average, airlines will retain $7.54 for every passenger carried.

I used to think this when I was 60 lbs heavier. I don't anymore.

From your article the airline industry has a 4.1% net profit margin and people are bitching about cost. Apple makes over 22% and people pee themselves standing in line waiting for a new iPhone with some unneeded gimmick. Airline service/space could be pretty good it they could price to get 22% margins.

Note that profits are at a relatively high point due to decreased fuel cost. In the last decade increased operating costs have lowered profits to under 1 USD per passenger carried.

Good point. They aren't rolling in $. Assume in the leaner years would have lost money without the baggage fees.
  • Packerjohn
    edited November 2017
    There should be more space to cut back on "flying rage" (treat customers like cattle and some of them are going to be at least grumpy with the flight crew, which in turn will take that out on all the passengers), circulatory health risks, some minimum level of personal space (that's creepy close to be to a stranger), and safety in event of the need to evacuate quickly. If an airplane cabin were a room in a building, it would be in violation of fire codes for capacity and acccessible exits in just about any jurisdiction.

Again, people are voting with their wallets. They want cheap flights. The issues you mention can be fixed with a first or business class ticket for those willing to pay the price. If not, Greyhound offers more room in their seats.

A heavily consolidated market in which the few competitors can get away with not telling you the true price of their product before you purchase it and actually aren't selling you anything -- that ticket you buy doesn't actually give you the right to fly or a seat on the flight -- is clearly a broken market. Don't blame the consumers when a broken market doesn't work.

Do you know the % of people denied the right to fly due to bumping? You pretty much have the opportunity to fly on your flight if you have a ticket for the flight (assuming no mechanical/weather issues).

Excerpt:
    "If you look back, you’ll see the U.S. airline industry has reduced the denied boarding rate almost in half in the last 15 years,” says Engel. “In 1999, 0.2 percent of passengers were denied boarding. Last year, it was under 0.1 percent. And only 1/10th of those were 'involuntarily denied boarding,' where passengers did not choose to take a different flight” in exchange for a voucher or incentive."

Source:
    https://www.marketplace.org/2015/04/27/business/ive-always-wondered/why-world-do-airlines-overbook-tickets

Would you prefer a model where there we not changes/refunds once you bought the ticket?

Also read up on revenue management. It's practiced in many industries and why the ticket prices change. When you buy the ticket you have the freedom of choice to accept or reject the price offered at the time.