Weekly Post - 06.11.2017 - 12.11.2017

Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,953 Member
Good morning all!

Starting the weekly thread!
Back shortly with a fresh post for you all. Also have a new Regular Day Recipe to share!

Happy Monday!!
Meghan

Replies

• Meghan509
    Good morning again, and happy Monday!

Hope everybody had a great weekend.

@KateNkognito I hope you feel better ASAP. That darn stomach bug is no fun... :(

We had a great weekend. Saturday we spent with my guy's parents and some his friends from his area in NY. That was nice. We made plans to have Thanksgiving at one of his good friend's house in New York. He and his wife invited us over. We are really looking forward to that.

Yesterday I perused the weights at the gym and figured out what I am going to do as far as which machines and for what - shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc. My guy helped me figure out to do as far as what parts to do on what days. I whipped out a little notebook that I had kept in my gym bag from previous with what machines I had been using and at what weight. He was impressed. LOL

I am making and having two of my favorite and most "exciting" recipes for Light Days this week - so I can try to avoid my boredum issues that I have been having. I can do it. Still planning to just take the week of Thanksgiving off at this point. This week's Light Day dinner is the Low Calorie Highland Stew, probably my favorite of the dinners I make for us.

I found another slow cooker chicken spaghetti dish via Pinterest that I have decided to make. I made it last night and of course I made some tweaks LOL. Below is the link. I wanted to try and use what I had on hand. I used a 28 ounce container of crushed tomatoes and one cup less of water. No carrots and celery - just a chopped onion. I also used 10 ounces of small pasta, vs. regular spaghetti. I used just shy of two pounds of boneless chicken breast. I also added a bunch of spices to make it more like my beloved spaghetti sauce that we dearly miss. In addition to the dried oregano, I added dried basil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and some crushed pepper since we like a little spice. We will have it Tuesday night. I think when we go to eat it, it might need a little more creaminess to it, like a spoonful of Ricotta on top. It looks very chicken-y if that makes sense. But, in any case can't wait to try it!

http://ifoodreal.com/slow-cooker-chicken-spaghetti/

Have a good day everybody! Check in with you all soon. :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hey all! I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Ours was relatively quiet. Today is a light day for me, but I'm more than fine with it. The first light day of the week is always easier than the second.

@Meghan509 I made that taco pasta slow cooker meal this weekend. It was pretty easy and inexpensive to make, and it was a hit with one of my kids. The other got unexpectedly picky, so, yeah. I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers because the flavor seems to take over most dishes, which happened this time, so I would definitely make it again without the bell pepper. I really liked the meat with pasta, and I added some cheese and sour cream on top that really made the dish :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Morning y'all!!! (sorry, I know I'm not american but I love that)

Had quite a busy weekend with my son turning 21! His requested dinner of simmered beef in beef broth with mashed potatoes, yorkshires & the timmings were appreciated! I also baked a chocolate cheesecake for him but when taking it out of the oven I must've tipped the pan and the whole thing fell upside down on the door & doorframe of the oven!!! I salvaged what I could that was left in the pan, but I had to go buy a cheesecake!!! :s He didn't mind, it made for a good story, since my daughter DID NOT HELP, but cintinued instead to film me freaking out over the ordeal and put it on snapchat for her friends to be amused!! All in all, I did ok with my meals.

Today I was looking up recipes on pinterest too... but I found this one
    http://littlespicejar.com/moroccan-sweet-potato-lentil-soup/

I also bought another spaghetti squash and will try topping the roasted squash with this lentil goodness above!

good luck faster's!! Today is gorgeous and COLD!!!

meghan, weights are great.... I'm off to do mine now! cheers!

• Meghan509
    Hey guys (gals)!

Hope everybody is good.

So glad you made the taco pasta slow cooker dish @RBXChas Yes, I know what you mean about bell peppers and how they can dominate. I find that as well with celery, unless it really cooks down and becomes less "loud". Sour cream is my favorite!! Great idea! :smiley:

I am cracking up at the chocolate cheesecake Snapchat incident @mamainthekitchen LOLOL Darn social media and phones! Hope your son had a great 21st! :smile:
    Yes! That is the stew I modified and made last week for us for dinner on Light Day. It came out really nice. I reduced a few things to make it fewer servings and less calories. In last week's thread I talked about it, in case you want to use it for your fasts. I like the idea of putting that on top of a spagetti squash.

Cool here too today. Drinking all this water and a fasting day. Brrrrr!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Hi everybody! Hope you all had a great weekend. Ours was beautiful weather-wise. Love this time of year in SoCal.

Fast day for me. I am with @RBXChas - no problem with Monday's fast but Thursday's fast leads me to whine and throw temper tantrums. Not sure why. Same 500 but for some reason Thursday is so much harder. Resolved to keeping my nose to the grindstone. :grimace:

@Meghan509 - Sounds like your Saturday was excellent. Congratulations on scoring an invitation to Thanksgiving Dinner. The only thing better than Thanksgiving Dinner is being invite to someone else's Thanksgiving Dinner. :smiley: Sound like you have a strength training plan! You will be so happy the first time you are able to get out of a chair without groaning. :wink: Chicken spaghetti sounds good. I am making it tomorrow night. I will report back on how the fam received it. Do you think it would fit in a 3qt crockpot?

@mamainthekitchen - I thought you were Canadian? If so, I think that qualifies you as at least from the Americas so feel free to use any of our too ubiquitous colloquialisms or even if you are not Canadian. :smirk: So sorry for your loss but it does make a great story. Maybe your video will go viral and you will be getting calls from talk show hosts in the U.S.! Any happy 21st to your son. It goes fast, doesn't it.

Almost time for pick-up for my son. Happy fast day to those who are doing it. Have a great day, y'all.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,515 Member
    Hey, y'all! LOL @mamainthekitchen! You are just a northern southerner. ;)
    I am feeling better today. Didn't end up with a full fast yesterday or today... I indulged in some comfort foods. But, both days were pretty low. :smile:
    It sounds like everyone is having a pretty good week, so far. As for me, substitutes and a still full moon make for crazy times. :# I am going to try to get a good fast in on Thursday and keep it in check the rest of this week. Candy is almost gone. Just the not so good stuff left.
    I LOVE my crock pot! I use it all the time! I probably use it even more in the summer than in the winter. I don't want to heat up the house, so I stick it in the garage. In the winter, I love to "roast" a chicken in it. And bread. And dessert in my little one. And... well, I really love my slow cooker! LOL
    I am off to bed a bit early. Have a great week! Happy fasting!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    @KateNkognito - thankful you didn't end up with your stomach on the floor, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen: Glad you are on the mend.
  • Meghan509
    Hey all!

How are we doing!? Agree that Monday fast was a breeze! Salad at lunch was no biggie - didn't want to throw it out the window LOL. Dinner was yummy and filling. Wasn't hungry at all yesterday. Woo hoo.

So glad that @jknight001 you are liking the chicken crockpot recipe! I can't wait to have it tonight! The way I made mine it comes in at around 320 or so for six servings, according to MFP. I used just under two pounds of chicken breast tenderloins. I like the tenderloins because they are a little cheaper than breasts and I found they are a good replacement. I find I don't need fancy expensive chicken breasts when they are just going to get shredded and broken up anyway! Taste just as good in the trusty crockpot.
    I stopped by the grocery store last night and picked up a small container of ricotta cheese. I will put a small spoonful on top of my chicken dish most likely. That's a lotta chicken and pasta! Yum!

Glad you are feeling better @KateNkognito - stomach bug is no fun! Yes, I love my crock pot too. I use it all year round! I have the one with an auto timer, so it turns to warm after it finishes. Sigh... Modern cooking. LOL

I am still figuring out when and how to work in the weights. Less cardio each day and then add in the routine... That is how I used to do it. But, BF suggests doing weights first and then some cardio because weights can make you more tired. I also have to see how long a weight routine will take me. Ugh, decisions. For now, sticking with the cardio. Don't judge me LOL. I will figure it out. o:)

Hope you have a great day! Two back to back regular days here. Fasting Day on Thursday.

See you all soon!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    My light day today! Homemade pea soup is the featured meal.

Sounds like most of y'all (btw, I'm a Texan now and believe I'm contractually obliged to use "y'all" whenever possible ;)B) had a good light day yesterday! Yay!

I'm a tad different minded on the fasting from the group - currently fast on Tuesday and thurs. but I'm thinking of moving that to Tuesday and Wednesday. I find that the day before I fast is also overshadowed by knowing a light food day is coming. What I'm hoping to ultimately get out of 5:2 eating is the effortless weight loss or maintenance. Therefore I want to think about my light days as little as possible. Tuesday Thursday is working well for me, but I think I can improve upon it. So that might be what I try in December – changing it to a Tuesday Wednesday fast.

Everybody's crockpot chicken recipes are making me want to cook! Maybe I will prepare a big meal in the crock on Sunday or Monday for next weeks light days. I have my frozen soups but I certainly don't want to get bored with the program.

No weight-loss recorded since last week Thursday but that's really fine. I'm going in the right direction, and October was a very good scale month. It is frustrating how unpredictable the weight-loss process is though.

• mamainthekitchen
    ryenday wrote: »
    Sounds like most of y'all (btw, I'm a Texan now and believe I'm contractually obliged to use "y'all" whenever possible ;)

^^^ BAHAHHHAA!! You guys are hilarious.... Thanks Kate, I'll accept that 'northern southerner' title!! and yes, Canada is where I live! B.C. west coast! and there are NO cool accents 'round my neighbourhood!

Sounds like everyone is doing well! I had a good fast day yesterday, although it ended in being 674 cals... but I was picking at little things here and there throughout the day which add up... but logged as I picked & nibbled, so that's a plus! I have not measureed my waist in about 2 months, but I can feel better already. Logging is KEY people!! I also have to say, I don't have those "cheat" days.... althought maybe I do... I just don't call it that. If I'm over, I'll log it. I'm usually over because I'll have a couple of glasses of pinot! :p I like to think of the week as a whole, not day by day calories. So, if I'm way over on a 'cheat day' or 'regular day' as I call it.... that could throw out of whack the whole purpose for me reducing calories, and in turn make my body think I'm just in maintenance..... which is of course NOT weight loss at all. Just my thoughts on the subject :#

Glad you're feeling better Kate! I used to joke about needing a good flu! and the day to lay in bed!!

Also, RBXChas.... I cannot believe your dog is not a golden! The photo is adorable.... very similar in looks but now I can see maybe a mix there.... adorable either way!!!!

@ryenday.... I've done back to back fasts before.... sometimes on purpose and other times that's just how the day unfolded. Either way, they usually left me feeling like I wanted to eat the whole kitchen the following day! You'll see how you feel and go from there... I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Meghan, the BF's right, weights before cardio. I talke about 35 mins, but you don't have to go all out.... just a few things for your arms and something for your legs and finish off with ab work... try only 15 minutes for total body.... your body will tell you. I found once I got stronger, I wanted to do more. But I love to walk so I do it just to get out and listen to my podcasts!!! ;)

Have a great day y'all !!! :#B)

• Meghan509
    Hi y'all! LOLOL

This CT Yankee will gladly join in on the fun. I have been told that I have a slight New England accent at times. But, I still think that us peeps here in southern New England don't have anything special about how we speak. But, I grew up right smack next to New York. As you get further out in CT there are definitely more accents. People in my extended family have them, just not me... Our accent is nothing special, not like the Bostonians or New Yorkers or the Southerners, etc. :smiley:

I found another recipe to share! This one is a quick stove top one for one-pot spaghetti and meat sauce. Non Fasting Day. Since I try and keep my red meat intake to a minimum, I'll use ground turkey or ground chicken even. Since we were on the subject of pasta lately, I thought I'd share. I saved it. :)

https://www.skinnytaste.com/one-pot-spaghetti-and-meat-sauce-stove-top-recipe/

See you soon!
  • KateNkognito
    Today was just a normal crazy day around here. I am thinking about trying for three fasts this week. If I do one tomorrow and then on Saturday, I might get back to where I was a couple of weeks ago.
    It is great that so many people are doing so well! I have really been struggling the last few months. You folks keep me going!
  • Meghan509
    Good morning everybody!

Hope everybody is well. Good for you, Kate. I agree that this group is great. Especially for when we are struggling. As I mentioned last week, I have had a little trouble getting bored with the food I have been eating and getting a little burned out. But, I will get through it. I am glad to have you guys in my corner. <3 I am looking forward to my 5:2 break, the week of Thanksgiving. I think it will be good for me to eat maintenance calories that week. My guy is going to take a break as well that week.

I saw last night that our gym is open until 1pm on Thanksgiving Day. It is nice that they do that. We will plan on going sometime in the morning, since I am assuming our plans will be sometime in the later afternoon. Of course, I will confirm that. :)

Last night we had the chicken crockpot dish for dinner, that I posted Monday. It was yummy!

Just a reglular day here. I am sipping some water and green tea. Not much else happening. Pretty cold here lately. This coming Friday it won't get much warmer than the 40's F during the day. Boo hoo. Winter is coming...

See you soon!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hey, Jersey girl here living in SC... so I use "y'all" and "you guys" interchangeably. I tend to change it up depending on whom I'm talking to. Same with the accent, which I have definitely picked up. Of course most people hear me and say, "You don't sound like you're from New Jersey." There's actually quite a large segment of us who don't talk like we're from Staten Island (or Lawng-Gisland) :D

I admit I've been picking all week, and I was so busy yesterday that I didn't get to check in. Monday was a really easy fasting day, then I saw the candy at home. My logged food was 450 or so, and I had a few fun size candies. So I probably had 600-700 for my fasting day. I keep failing to tighten things up when I say I'm going to! Y'all (see what I did there?), the holidays are HARD!!! (Oh, about that candy buyback at the kids' dentist, I totally spaced and forgot about it! When I remembered it and planned to go, I double-checked the time and discovered that it was already over.)

Anyway, tomorrow is a light day, which is usually not a big deal except for the candy. I'm going to go for a run tonight. The weather has been in the low 80s for the past week or so, and today the temperature is dropping from a morning high of about 67. It should be nice and cool out :smile:
  • Meghan509
    LOL @RBXChas my guy has some close friends that we see often who are from New Jersey and Staten Island! Funny thing is our friend from SI got married and moved to Lawng Gisland a few years ago with her husband. He is from there. LOLOL.
    My guy is from New York (Queens) and so are most of his close friends. So I am around NY accents a lot! I love the accents from the Tri-State area. Crack me up! Shout out to my fellow Tri-Stater! Holla!! :D

Not sure if you are of any bit of Italian decent but since you are from up this way I have to ask. Do you say "gravy" or "sauce" when you are making spaghetti sauce? LOL

Good luck with your fasting tomorrow. Sorry you missed the candy buy back. That stinks! You will get back on track. Soon the candy will all be gone. Woo hoo. But, I know what you mean. I have been craving sugary stuff myself lately. I am blaming hormones. Someone came back from a trip abroad here at the office, and there are beautiful looking European chocolates sitting in the kitchen break areas. Sigh... :'(
  • mamainthekitchen
    Wow I just devoured some peanut butter m& ms..(why do I have these in the house?) I thought ok I’ll weigh what I ate.. took out another handful about same amount of what I just ate, weighed them to be 21g which was 109 cals! Then I weighed the whole bag!!!! Turns out the whole bag, 251g, equals 1200 calories!!! In the past ( 2 yrs ago) I would have eaten the entire bag while on the comp or reading or partially during the day then the rest at night!! That’s an entire menu for a regular day!! Weighing food is a true eye opener! Love my kitchen scale!! That stopped me today so I’m thankful I own one!!!!

I had tea this morning, just finished a late late lunch (probably the reason why I dove into the candy) of 4 oz cottage cheese and 2 oz grape tomatoes.... plan on the rest of my spaghetti squash & lentil soup (which is bought cause I ran out of steam that day) for dinner... plan on my almond milk drink too.. and may sneak in a green tea before dinner! Feeling positive about fasting today!
    I don’t usually fast on a Wednesday but it just works with the family if ya get my drift ;-)

Happy hump day!!:B
  • mamainthekitchen
    My emojis don’t work while on my cell phone!! Picture me winking!! Then with sunglasses on!! Ha!
  • KateNkognito
    Today I am thankful tomorrow is the last day of school for the week. The kids have been a special kind of crazy this week!
    Today didn't turn out to be a fast day. My own personal children woke me up wanting McDonald's. But, calorie wise, I have done ok... Except for the ridiculous amount of tiny chocolates I have had this week. :/
    I hope you all were strong in the fight against bite sized temptation. Happy fasting!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Whelp. I was about to make lunch today ( my Five day between my two light days) when I first decided to give my kitties some dental treats. All good except I didn’t close the kitchen cabinet all the way and the door swung open and as I stood up BLAM! Smack in the head.

Head pounding, I layed listlessly on the couch until work time. I forgot all about eating. I didn’t have much appetite when I got home so today became an unexpected Light day.

I guess I’ll just see how I feel tomorrow. Since I’ve done two light days already this week, but have frozen soup ready for tomorrow I’m not sure what I’ll do.

I’m fine, there is a BIG lump/gash on the top of my head, but I just wore a hat today, lol. I don’t think I want to go swimming tomorrow tho.

It is early, but bed is looking attractive so I’ll say goodnight!

• KateNkognito
    @ryenday I am sorry! But your post gave me a good giggle first thing this morning! :D Especially the part about the hat!
    Today is a fast day for me. Hopefully not an exciting day. Happy fasting!