Weekly Post - 06.11.2017 - 12.11.2017

2»

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    @KateNkognito Now, that is just not right!!! Hats are no laughing matter! Hats are serious business! ;)

(So sayeth the gal with 40+ hats and counting).

I’m a hat person. I find a pair of shoes that doesn’t hurt my feet and wear them to the bone. I have two purses- everyday which I wear out once a year or so and a little black ‘dress up’ purse. But hats! Any excuse to buy or wear a hat is fine with me!!!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Good morning everybody!

@mamainthekitchen peanut M&M's are yummy and evil LOL Yes, thank God for the kitchen scale. VERY eye opening! We weigh out stuff like pretzels and potato chips (when we buy chips) and that is really eye opening too. You really don't get many chips for the amount of calories you are eating in most cases. Sigh...

@ryenday LOL I am with @KateNkognito your head thump story is too funny! Though I do hope you are okay! A gash on your head is no fun either. :( Thank God for hats! Hats are cool. For me they are like lipstick. I love them. I will buy them, but I tend not to wear them. They will sit around and not get used. Shame on me...

Light Day here. Hoping for a good weigh in tomorrow, but who knows. Dealing with some female issues this week. Up on the scale this AM. I won't ramble on here and be negative. :)

Have a good day and I will check in again with you guys soon!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    edited November 2017
    Geez ryenday your poor head!! I wear hats... I do it to cover my hair! If I could get away with wearing a turban I’d probably try that too! Hope your head feels much better today!

I am not happy with my measurement of my waist this morning!! I’ve had two fasts this week too! K well kinda fasts.... must tighten up my lips! Get in more walking. Yesterday I walked our new mall... did 4 laps around then proceeded to drive home, forgot to turn my MapMyWalk off and proceeded to accumulate 4K to my ‘walk’!!!! So if anyone reading my diary yesterday is wondering......no I did not earn 1,480 calories back!!!!

Off to the folks for lunch... just having cottage cheese and tomatoes, but she’ll put out some desserts for me dad that will be hard to say no to.

Stay strong faster!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Meghan509 wrote: »
    Not sure if you are of any bit of Italian decent but since you are from up this way I have to ask. Do you say "gravy" or "sauce" when you are making spaghetti sauce?

Actually, @Meghan509 I am part Italian but on my paternal side, so basically we did everything as if we were a big Italian family. I literally never heard anyone call it "gravy" until I was nearly an adult, where someone told me I wasn't a "real Italian" because I called it "sauce". Um, yeah, I can tell you where in Sicily my family came from. My dad grew up in North Jersey, and I read something recently about how Italians in some parts call it one where as others call it the other. (I just found this, which doesn't take sides: https://www.hardcoreitalians.com/home/the-immense-debate-gravy-or-sauce) What do you or your guy call it?

As far as accents, I definitely miss hearing the accent. Every now and again I'll come across someone who has it, and it's like a piece of home. I don't have it, but my parents have strong accents. They say "cawl", not "call", and "chawcolate", not "chocolate". The southern accent is charming, though. I also lived in Michigan for five years, and that is an accent I do not miss!

I'll never get over watching Jeopardy at 7:30, though. Jeopardy comes on ABC NY (channel 7) at 7, followed by Wheel of Fortune, and the reverse is just wrong somehow. (Tri-state area, holla!)

@ryenday I'm so sorry about your head! I hope you are feeling better today.

Otherwise, today is a light day. I just had some soup because I am behind on going grocery shopping. It's cold(ish) and rainy today, so soup actually felt nice. I've been really busy up until now, so it's been a pretty easy light day so far :) I hope everyone else has a good day, especially those of you having light days today!

• Meghan509
    Good morning everybody!

I weighed in this morning and I am up .2. Not really that big of a deal because as I mentioned I have been dealing with female issues this week. So that is probably nothing at all or even a small loss. I will know more next Friday when I weigh in. :)

Tomorrow I am going to start weights at the gym! Since I go to the gym six days a week on average and take Fridays off, this is the plan I came up with for myself. Saturday full body weight circuit, Sunday cardio, Monday full body weight curcuit, Tuesday cardio, Wednesday full body weight curcuit, Thursday cardio.
    I am going to see how long the weight curcuit takes me and if I have time, I'll finish off with some light walking. I will include abdominal exercises as well. For the cardio I will do my usual 45 minutes of treadmill on an incline at a fast pace. I will probably add some spurts of high intensity runs in there or HIIT after my muscles adjust from the weight training. I know I am going to be sore, but that's cool. No pain no gain!

For the week of Thanksgiving, November 20th I will take a break from 5:2 and will eat at maintenance.
    Hoping these changes will help me get the weight loss flowing a little better and my mind back in it. I am in need of a break mentally too.

Hope everybody had a good fastung day yesterday! Mine was good. Wasn't even hungry which is nice! Looking forward to going out today for lunch to a salad place I like nearby. They have nice things to chose from and calorie counts for everything, and they are in MFP! Why can't every place be like them!?

@ryenday hope your head is feeling better today

@RBXChas too funny about the gravy and sauce! I am not Italian and my guy is not Italian either. But he has a lot of Italian customs and food in his culture. I can explain. I am an Irish, German, Armenian mix, born in CT and my family has been here for many generations. We pretty much have no customs from the countries our ancestors are from! Though I do know my maternal Grandma (Armenian) could make a mean Chicken Tetrazini! My guy is born in NY and is Argentinian. Argentinians are either from Spain or Italy so their food is very Italian in some cases. His parents were born in Argentina and came to the States in the 60's. His background is from Spain. Long story even longer! Both of us call it sauce, and not gravy! I have an old boyfriend that I dated in high school who was Italian American, he called it gravy! And I seem to have a lot of Italian American friends on Facebook who say either or! Hit or miss. :smiley:

Hope everybody is well and has a great day today. I'll check back later.
  • ryenday
    @RBXChas I’m in Texas now, but I grew up in Chicago and the Chicago TV schedule and network locations is permanently fixed on my mind. (Childhood pre-cable because Chicago one of the last metropolitan areas to get cabled in the later 1980’s). So, for example, when someone says ABC I think channel 7. If not for TiVo I would never be able see anything on tv.

@mamainthekitchen Measurements. Measurements have been a big disappointment to me thus far in weight loss. I don’t get the people who say “i didn’t lose scale weight this week but I’ve lost inches!!” Because it sure hasn’t worked like that on my body. 35 pounds down my waist has indeed gone from 34 to 30. But my hips have gone from 45 to 43. So I have gone down only one pants size since I started b/c big hips are now smaller big hips, lol.

A driveby hi to @jknight001, @Meghan509 & @KateNkognito Hope all is well.

I’m fine, bump on top of my head notwithstanding, lol. Odd week meant 3 light days in a row, so I’m just going to think of it like putting something in the bank for upcoming special day (thanksgiving).

Speaking of thanksgiving I guess it is time to think about what I’ll fix and bring to my Sister in Law’s place. My usual (chipotle sweet potatoes) are actually pretty diet friendly - not a crazy amount of butter - so even tho only two of us really like them I’ll probably do that. My husband brings twice baked potatoes (NOT diet friendly but oh so yummy) and a butterscotch pie (which pretty much kills a diet dead in its tracks, lol) so I just have to think of one more dish. Probably something vegetarian but main dishy for my vegetarian niece. Any suggestions?

The weather here turned cold so quickly I’m having some trouble adjusting- except when it comes to walking. A nice couple mile walk in 40-50 degree weather is one of my favourite things. Especially IF the sun is shining.

My hot flashes have been going into crazy overdrive lately as well, so I put a lawn chair into the 50 degree garage and go out there to cool down a few times a day. I wear sweater shawls (over summer sleeveless dresses) around the house so I can quickly shed them when I get hot. I sure wish my body would just calm down already! Lol.

Every weekend my husband or I usually plan and cook one big meal. We will often eat leftovers most of the rest of the week. I’m kinda exhausted this week so I was thinking of just picking up a roasted chicken from the grocery instead of doing much cooking. I have enough soup to get by on my two light days next week, so maybe I just take the weekend off from cooking. (We have to make another beef jerky batch this weekend anyway.)

Well, I’ve rambled on enough... have a wonderful weekend!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,517 Member
    Morning, y'all! I have the day off today, so I have been busy getting stuff done. It is cold out, so I am doing inside things. I really need one good warm day to finish up my outside work.
    @Meghan509 I hope your loss picks up! Could it maybe be that you are a bit low on regular days? Just a thought.
    @ryenday Glad your head is feeling better! I have been having some serious power surges, myself. (A much nicer description than "oh my goodness! I am going to DIE from spontaneous combustion!") I started taking the peri-menopause formula made by Enzymatic. It has REALLY helped with the flashes and sweats and brain fog.
    To everyone else: happy Friday! Have a great weekend!
  • Meghan509
    Glad you are feeling better @ryenday! Happy to hear it it.

I am like you with the ABC channel being 7. NBC is channel 4, CBS channel 2! LOL

I grew up in CT, but since I am right smack next to the NY line (less than 15 miles to be exact), :) I grew up watching the NYC news and all the TV channels. We fly out of all the NYC area airports too. For the first time in my life a few years ago I flew out of the Hartford, CT airport. That is a lot further away and not as convenient for us.

Thanks @KateNkognito! Yes, sometimes when I have a few goodies after dinner, be it a cookie, some trail mix, a low calorie ice cream, etc. I don't always log it. So most days I probably do get my full 1500 calories, but I don't log those items in. I definitely should and thanks for reminding me. Definitely helps. :)
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Hi Y'All! Sorry I have been MIA. Busy week, then my computer decided to have a minor stroke. It survive and is resting comfortably but I hear the drumbeats saying its time in this world is not that much longer. :(

Speaking of things going awry. I weighed this morning and saw I lost 1.6 lbs. Sometimes my scale weighs heaver then after I step on the scale again I weigh a bit less. I have always thought it was just settling in. Well, this time I weighed 2.4 lbs less then when I stepped on it again it was a .2 lb loss, then the LED screen was blank, and so forth an so on. Checked the battery and it was fine. So all that to say that my scale may not be long for this world either. It was on the cheaper side so I am not surprised. In the end I took the 1.6lbs loss since it was the first stable number. We shall see what a new scale will bring. :o

@Meghan509 - Tried the Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti as is and it was not a fam favorite. I can see why you took out the veggies and spiced it up. I thought it was a bit bland. However, I did like cooking the spaghetti in the sauce (or gravy if you like ;) ). The spaghetti really picks up the flavor! And the comes out nicely al dente So I am very interested to try the Spaghetti and Meat Sauce crockpot recipe. I think that will go over much better with the fam. Sounds like you have a great strength training plan! I see our food plans as a tightrope from one weight to another. I see strength training as the balance bar that keeps us on tightrope moving forward. Strength training will not overcome poor eating but does keep us from gaining tons of weight if we eat a bit too much here or there. I have decide also to take a little 5:2 vacation Thanksgiving week from Thursday to Sunday. I will work on eating "normal" as much as I can but I am going to ditch the food scale for a few days.

@mamainthekitchen - I have heard British Columbia is beautiful! (Hope I got your province right) I would love to take one of those train trips through BC one day. Tried your Moroccan Sweet Potato Lentil soup and really liked it. Very warm and filling. Loved your comments on the cheat day. I agree that it all gets down to the logging (even though I do a couple of cheat meals a week :blush:). The are no "free" calories. Kudos to you for logging even when you are over. I think that kind of boldfaced honesty will serve you well in the end. So sorry your hot flashes are rearing their ugly heads. I think you were part of our earlier conversation about the possibility of 5:2 aggravating the hot flashes. I have had the same issues and just see it as a withdrawal symptom. :lol:

@ryenday - Hello to a fellow Chicagoan! I grew up on the west side. Loved Chicago. Would love to go back but I am not sure I could survive the winters anymore. So sorry to hear about your head. I have done that before and it hurts! :s Glad you are on the mend. I wanted to ask you how you implement HIIT? I do 3 days of 40 minute cardio sessions and 1 day of strength training for 1 hour. Would I combine HIIT with my cardio sessions, with a recovery period in between? Not sure how that part works and how I use it with my normal routine. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I wanted to bring one thing before the group. When I attended Overeaters Anonymous, it was forbidden to mention actual foods. The reason being is what is fine for one person could lead to the downfall of another who is struggling to not overeat. I know we mention foods a lot here so I thought it was important to get input from you all about that. Is everyone fine with that? Does anyone struggle with that? I don't think this group has a official policy on it but I think it is important to be sensitive to where everyone is at.

As for me, I can go either way. I feel a lot of support from you all and that puts the food into perspective for me. And also because of that I would not want to cause anyone to stumble because of what I say. What do the rest of you think?

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I was so busy today I didn’t get a chance to check in, but I wanted to share a recipe I may be trying for our own meal the day after Thanksgiving. It sounds beyond awesome and could be a good lunch, too, when it’s cold out.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/11/date-gorgonzola-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

@jknight001 I am an overeater for sure, but I don’t mind when others mention actual foods. In many cases it’s helpful to me, and frankly I don’t live in a bubble. Facebook, for example, is full of food posts, pictures, and articles, and outside of that there is so much stuff about food just going about your life. Seeing/reading about food isn’t a trigger for me, but I understand that it might be bothersome to others. If it is upsetting to people to discuss specific foods on these weekly posts, I am fine with having a separate post to discuss those, that way anyone who wants to avoid it, can.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Helllooo!! (k, now I'm sounding British!)

First off, I would never ever have thought about taking about food on this forum as being bothersome to others... perhaps I've offended someone at somepoint, because I know I often talk about food... especially what I ate to blow an entire weeks worth of good 5:2ing!! I do not have a problem with it here, but certainly understand Jk's (that's your new nickname) very good point she brought up!! Maybe I could try to stick with "I blew it" "the end". :#

Ryenday, your measurements are going in the right direction!!!! Just remember, you are losing weight & measurements in those "other area" you probably did not measure.... like your head, your upper arms & your fingers even.... weight comes off some of all parts, so when you see your hip measurement coming down, know that your thighs measurements are coming down too!

Yes, Jk, Beautiful British Columbia is on our licience plate! Our interior got badly ruined from all the forest fires this past year.... totaly out of control for most of August! Still, pretty area indeed. Glad you enjoyed the morrocan soup... I really love it over spaghetti squash and I add more spices because I think spices make me feel like I've had something extra yummy!

RBXChas, your stuffed sweet potatoes looked really different.... thanks for sharing, a great way to add something different to the menu!

Well, I'm "blowing it" today. and I'm ok with that... it's FRIDAY!! B)

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND PEOPLE!

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,517 Member
    It is cloudy and damp, but it is actually quite nice out. I am doing LOTS of laundry, today.
    My favorite way to measure my progress is my wedding ring. It hasn't fit on my ring finger for years, and was starting to get snug on my pinky. But now, it is sliding on and off my pinky pretty easily. I probably have 10-15 pounds before I can wear it regularly on my ring finger again.
    I hope you all are having a nice weekend!
  • Meghan509
    Hi all!
    A quick one since I am on my little phone!
    Had a great strength training workout today. My arms are pretty sore. Tomorrow should be fun, but no pain no gain right?! :p
    Will keep this short, good point about how bringing up foods could be triggering others. If anybody has an issue, do speak up or we could do a separate post. Do let me know if my sharing recipes bothers anyone too. :)
    Those sweet potatoes look awesome! Love Budget Bites!!
  • ryenday
    Really quick here too. I have no food triggers anyone needs to be careful mentioning. If anyone does, let me know and I’ll avoid discussing here. But if no one has any, i know that I appreciate being able to discuss both fasting AND feeding here with the group. Just my 2 cents.

Hope one and all are having super weekend!
  • mamainthekitchen
    ryenday wrote: »
    I have no food triggers anyone needs to be careful mentioning. If anyone does, let me know and I’ll avoid discussing here. But if no one has any, i know that I appreciate being able to discuss both fasting AND feeding here with the group

^^ ditto ^^

I find that it's almost good (for me) to read someone had a 'challenge' one day/night..... we're human, weight loss doesn't have to be all gloom.... (I also like using that devil emoji when I need to!) but it's supporting someone and receiving support from others we don't really know/never met, that I think helps (me) continue this 'forum talk'. just my two cents too! :)

Enjoying my Fire Tea this morning.... pouring rain out there, and not really wanting to go walk... think I'll do some weights even though I don't normally do them on the weekend. Hopefully the weather will pick up,

Happy Sunday!

• ryenday
    Well, the past two weeks my weight loss has gone back to the approx .5lb a week. Disappointing but not a huge surprise, I suppose. Still the seven pound drop in October was huge, and made a big difference in my looks and how clothes fit so I’m not complaining.

Either I quickly adapt to “new” diet approaches or my adding back in the weight training and swimming are slowing down the scale. Personally, I am aware how light I am lifting (heavy for me, of course but still pretty low weights) and doubt the exercising is masking scale loss, but we’ll see. I’m refusing to let it trip me up. I look much better than I did and am feeling a lot better too.

My thanksgiving approach remains the same. Thanksgiving day is a free day - anything goes but certainly try NOT to eat myself sick. I will have light days Sunday and Tuesday beforehand and I will consider an extra light day (so three light days) the following week.

I’m also adapting my schedule to my new job. The job is good, and I’m officially out of “training” this week so my schedule is standardizing now. But, it is a new job so somewhat stressful still. Adding to the stress ( or a result of the extra stress? Hard to say) are some horrific hot flashes (I do like the “power surge” moniker) - my sleep is certainly compromised by them at the moment. So, lots of reasons the scale might not be moving as I’d like.

@mamainthekitchen - what is Fire Tea?

@Meghan509 - I am sore too! My arms are ok, but my behind is so ouchy- lol. What routine did you decide on? I’m doing something a bit unorthodox (or at least an approach from the 1960’s).

@KateNkognito — I got my ring back on about 5 lb ago. It is tight and occasionally uncomfortable but I’m so happy to have it back in place, so I certainly understand.

@jknight001 — I don’t do anything special for HIIT. Recumbent bike once or twice a week, swim laps once a week and maybe mini trampoline (rebounder). I get a good rhythm going then go all out for 20 to 30 seconds. (Timed or one length of the pool) then I go back to easy rhythm for a couple of minutes then all out, then easy then a final all out. It takes 8 to 10 minutes. I do this in addition to my regular workouts for now. Actually it “feels” silly - but the best advice I have suggests it is good for me so I persist.

Off now...