Rest between sets/exercises?

Hello all.
Was wondering what everyone thought about rest between sets and exercises? Doing total body workouts with only the compounds movements(squats/deads/bench/chins).
And what if your doing separate body part splits?
Thxs

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited November 2017
    Stronglifts5x5 suggests rest of 1min 30sec upto 3 minutes between sets. 5 mins rest after a failed set.
    I haven't read, but i recall someone commenting that Starting strength advises 3-7 mins of rest between sets.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    I do body parts splits, and the rest time between sets depends on the weight and repetitions of my lifts, just few seconds is enough for me and very seldom is more than 1 minute. It all depends in what workout you choose and how heavy you lift.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Whatever it takes to complete your next set within your time restraints.

If you are doing volume work for sets. It's okay to lower the rest time in between sets as long as it is just as challenging to do so if you kept it wit longer rest periods.

In other words you create the same amount of stress with lighter weights as more heavier intense weights if you shorten your rest periods amoung other variations(eg tempo, pause, etc) your body can adapt.

My intensity requires me to rest about 5-8 minutes on my squats & only 3-5 minutes on bench because recovery time is quicker for bench/ohp since smaller muscles are utilized as well as weight.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Whatever it takes to complete your next set within your time restraints with good form.

On something like SL, I also wait until I can do that weight with 1:30 rest before I jump up in weight.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    3-10 depending on reps and exercise. For bench as mentioned I normally go with 3 on volume 5 on intensity days. On deadlift it goes up to max of 10min before last set on intensity. Those sets can be a grind and I just am not done breathing heavy or have my vision back in less than 5. Squat is somewhere in between, but tends to be higher before 4th and 5th set of volume day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Whatever it takes to complete your next set within your time restraints.

If you are doing volume work for sets. It's okay to lower the rest time in between sets as long as it is just as challenging to do so if you kept it wit longer rest periods.

In other words you create the same amount of stress with lighter weights as more heavier intense weights if you shorten your rest periods amoung other variations(eg tempo, pause, etc) your body can adapt.

My intensity requires me to rest about 5-8 minutes on my squats & only 3-5 minutes on bench because recovery time is quicker for bench/ohp since smaller muscles are utilized as well as weight.

Pretty much this. For my heavy large compound lifts (Squats, DL, OHP, Bench) I will generally take 3 to 5 minutes so I have adequate recovery. For auxiliary/accessory lifts (or lighter loads) I will rest 30 to 90 seconds.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I mostly tend to train in a pyramid style (avoidance of injury - it sucks to be old!) so my rest periods increase as the weight increases. Very little rest at first (warmup sets and beyond), 3 minutes approx when approaching 3RM.

I very rarely do body part splits - when circuit training no real rest periods as I'm alternating push/pull, upper/lower.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Doing Stong Lifts 5x5 now and only all of the exercises waiting 90 seconds. But, the weights are really low right now for me. In several more weeks I can foresee needing to wait for two or three minutes between sets.....especially with squats and deadlifts.

But, I would say that the right answer is whatever time frame allows you to get through your sets and your workout.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Okiludy wrote: »
    3-10 depending on reps and exercise. For bench as mentioned I normally go with 3 on volume 5 on intensity days. On deadlift it goes up to max of 10min before last set on intensity. Those sets can be a grind and I just am not done breathing heavy or have my vision back in less than 5. Squat is somewhere in between, but tends to be higher before 4th and 5th set of volume day.

I do something similar to this as well.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    I generally wait 2 minutes between sets, but if I've just done a brutal deadlift or squat set and my heart is still pumping hard, I'll just wait until it slows down again.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    I'm older, lift heavy for my age/weight and rest 5 mins per set based on a 4x6 pyramid scheme doing only the 4 main compound lifts.

I was also doing a 4x25 pushup, 4x15 pullup and 4x20 dip BW routine w/5 mins rest bet sets but elbow tendonitis has put me off that routine for the past 2 months.