How to get dem juicy delts?

So I'm a personal trainer and have been lifting for several years (I'm sure most of you have seen me around), but this is kind of a question directed at other women who have actually achieved it... how the hell did you get your arms and more specifically your delts larger?

I have been training for years, I have been progressive, I'm much stronger, I do a lot of volume and progression, I have worked in multiple reps ranges, etc. etc. etc. but I just feel like I'm always going to have tiny arms! I only really achieve the look I'm going for when I'm actually in the gym and have an active pump going.

I don't want massive arms, I just want more pronounced delts and separation. Think something like the attached.

Is this a matter of body fat? Or what have you guys done to achieve this look? :)

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2017
    Oh, and just for reference if I had to think about anyone whose arms mine most look like currently it would be Emily sky's arms. But again I only have this look with a pump and with outward rotation/ posing of the arm. You can see what I'm talking about in her second photo when you see the arm head on.

I want clear separation more like the previous photo when I'm just laying around doing nothing and not posing. Hope that makes sense!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am not there yet, but definitely following for answers. I would love larger delts (maybe not quite like the photo shown, but even a little bit more than what I have now would be awesome). Is she a bikini competitor? I feel like they all have awesome delts. I know they do several muscle building cycles.. with probably a lot of focus on the delts.. and then get really lean for shows so the muscle pops.

As for me, I do full body, I hit them around twice a week normally, but I've added an extra upper day to add more volume.. I am in a surplus though, so I would imagine I am going to see some growth, fingers crossed. I will let you know how that works out. Have you run bulk cycles to grow them? That might help if you haven't tried it already.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you see Emily Skye during a competition, you can see more separation... so seems it could be a result of very low bodyfat

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Most women with juicy delts are on creatine, if you know what I mean.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2017
    BFR side raises rip up my delts. Overhead press is good. Pull-ups. Reverse flys.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    yskaldir wrote: »

No. What do you mean? :|
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Heavy presses will do it everytime for the fronts.

Preferably barbell bench & OHP or seated.
    Incline Barbell/DB is the only thing I might add.

Heavy pulls for the rear.

Bent rows are top shelf with cleans a decent option as well.

There is nothing more optimal for growth unless you are bobybuilder status.

My delts are huge and defined and bench, OHP, and deadlift are the only lifts that would give my delts work because I powerlift.

• rainbowbow
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am not there yet, but definitely following for answers. I would love larger delts (maybe not quite like the photo shown, but even a little bit more than what I have now would be awesome). Is she a bikini competitor? I feel like they all have awesome delts. I know they do several muscle building cycles.. with probably a lot of focus on the delts.. and then get really lean for shows so the muscle pops.

As for me, I do full body, I hit them around twice a week normally, but I've added an extra upper day to add more volume.. I am in a surplus though, so I would imagine I am going to see some growth, fingers crossed. I will let you know how that works out. Have you run bulk cycles to grow them? That might help if you haven't tried it already.

Thanks! I have run several bulk cycles but have a hard time feeling fluffy for very long especially in my profession; so that could certainly be a limiting factor. I was starting to think that either i just suck at arm training or i'm staying in that realm of too fat for definition and not enough fat to sufficiently bulk. :lol:
  • rainbowbow
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    For me I think its my genetics are at play. I am 49, been lifting for about 3 years, I am on my 5th..ish bulk (my first 2 don't count cause they were trial and error bulks and quite short).

I do integrate bicep and tricep work, my back is predominately the one area I really wanted to look amazing. When I put in all the shoulder work, back work and arm it seemed to have worked out.

eta: I will never look like that pic at my age for sure, but she has an awesome physique!

What kind of shoulder specific or arm specific (bicep/tricep) work do you mainly do? :)
  • rainbowbow

I think they're saying that most women who acheive big delts are on some sort of PED.
  • rainbowbow
    Chieflrg wrote: »

My delts are huge and defined and bench, OHP, and deadlift are the only lifts that would give my delts work because I powerlift.

Awesome, much appreciated. I'll be honest, i've been neglecting really hitting up bench as hard as i can (especially variations like incline/decline) because I feel like i've already got small boobs that look like "pecs" and i found that i was really really developing pecs. :lol: I know that's stupid to neglect a major muscle group; but still.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I think they're saying that most women who acheive big delts are on some sort of PED.

Yeah, I got it. Just wanted to see if they'd come back and actually say it.

For what it's worth, I DO use creatine. :p;)

:lol: i don't know how i missed the sarcasm there
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Having the separation comes from being lean I think...and pumped up

I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to have round boulder shoulders as my muscle is long and attaches too far down my arm. mine are longer than my husbands (who is taller than me)
  • rainbowbow
    Actually, here's a behind the scenes shot that we got when we were adjusting lighting and stuff like that. I'm flipping my hair back hence he weird pose and absolutely horrible facial expression.

iW2huWL.jpg

But this was July 2016 and i've already run another full bulk cycle after this and i'm been really hitting shoulders as much as I can swing it. I've made progress since then (especially in my biceps) but I still feel like i'm not progressing where i want to be. :confounded:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    I thought I might have something to contribute but you ladies far outweigh and exceed my expertise and look way more fab.. what was I thinking.. lol

... Carry on..
  • rainbowbow
    Having the separation comes from being lean I think...and pumped up

I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to have round boulder shoulders as my muscle is long and attaches too far down my arm. mine are longer than my husbands (who is taller than me)

Well, you have absolutely fantastic arms :love:
  • rainbowbow
    For me I think its my genetics are at play. I am 49, been lifting for about 3 years, I am on my 5th..ish bulk (my first 2 don't count cause they were trial and error bulks and quite short).

I do integrate bicep and tricep work, my back is predominately the one area I really wanted to look amazing. When I put in all the shoulder work, back work and arm it seemed to have worked out.

eta: I will never look like that pic at my age for sure, but she has an awesome physique!

What kind of shoulder specific or arm specific (bicep/tricep) work do you mainly do? :)

I do all my workouts at home.. dumbells/long bar/ez bar

Shoulder Press, Lateral Raises, Upright Rows, Reverse Flys

Arms seated bicep curls, hammer curls.. nothing elaborate. I will use the EZ for curls later in the week.
    Triceps weighted bench dips, overhead extensions and also kick backs (I do not like skull crushers at all).

My back and shoulders are currently being done one day and then I hit them again later in the week. Deadlifts, Incline flys, incline press, pull ups... later in the week I do landmines for my back.

When I added chin ups and pull ups these have been major for me.

I might be doing all of this completely wrong... lol

No, thanks so much! I'll take this all into consideration. <3

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Awesome, much appreciated. I'll be honest, i've been neglecting really hitting up bench as hard as i can (especially variations like incline/decline) because I feel like i've already got small boobs that look like "pecs" and i found that i was really really developing pecs. :lol: I know that's stupid to neglect a major muscle group; but still.

OHP is considered more beneficial than bench by some of the gifted strength gawds...even the ones with small boobs.