Aria Weighing Incorrect, Support said as long it is consistently incorrect its fine!!!!

So, Avid Fitbit ecosystem user here on my third step counter (Fitbit Charge 2) "was" about to upgrade to Ionic.

But Fitbit support has really let me know that last few days. Here is my story;

Between 30th Oct and 1st Nov my Aria went from weighing me at 75.5kg to 79kg, and is now hovering constantly around 79kg to 79.6kg. This seems odd as I have been using the Aria for 11 months quite happily, so I decide to change the batteries and still no joy, so I delete and re-add to my account still not joy.

Perhaps I have put on that weight I think, so I test with my mother’s older mechanical scales nope they say 76kg, ahh but they are old so I invest in a good quality mechanical scales to check if I’m wrong so wait for these to come and when they do jump on the Aria (79.4kg) and then jump on the new mechanical scales 76kg, jump on my mother old scales 76kg.

So the Aria is weighing over 3kg difference for nearly half a stone difference. Ok time to contact support so they say about making sure it flat surface (yes), is my profile right (yes), weigh 5 consecutive times (yes was still 79kg to 79.5kg).

Multiple emails later they say this variance 79kg to 79.5kg is acceptable, if using other scales time of day will make a difference (err yes I know) I point out that I’m weighing on 3 scales within seconds of each other on same floor all fat and the Aria is 3kg out or more!

Next support says that ahh but some scales don't measure weight separate all the time they go for consistency (err umm) I point out I’m using mechanical scales that are not "smart" in any way, and provide two photos taken within seconds of each other showing me on the Aria and then mechanical scale showing the 3kg difference.

So final email from support saying nothing wrong with scales the Fitbit weight log (of just aria measurements) is consistent (yes, its consistently WRONG), and if I’m unsatisfied with accuracy I should return it to my retailer and they refer me to their refund policy which is within 45 days of purchase.... I respond saying not happy, please escalate to manager and that I expect a replacement under warranty, I’ve yet to hear from them.

How can this be considered good customer support, don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of the Fitbit ecosystem I credit Fitbit and MFP for helping me with a 7 stone loss last 13 months. But I really expect more from their support, and this is really putting me off continuing with Fitbit and with new £300 investment in Ionic! Even to point i have been looking into the Garmin Ecosystem with the new Vivomove HR and their scales..

Replies

• ljaphillips
    ljaphillips Posts: 14 Member
    edited November 2017
    I care what the number is because it changed over night by 6.6lbs (3kg). And while i expect scales to have variation by maybe a kg at most when side by side weighing on multiple scales they should be reasonable the same as weighing at same time in same clothes etc means there should be little variation between two scales. After all 1kg is 1kg.

Off course if i weight in the morning in my PJs then jump on a Dr's scales in full outdoor clothes etc the weight could be drastically different or if i weigh 9am and 9pm.. But this is not the case here.

My Aria has been consistent for 11 months and now something is wrong, i think expecting them to weight correctly within a say 1lb variance is not a lot to expect, but having a nearly 7lb variance is not within the realm of acceptable variance in my book at least.
  • ljaphillips
    Perhaps you should take some time to read my posts. Stepping from one scale to another should give approx the same weight, when within seconds of each other.

I know what i weigh, and i know how different times of day, sodium etc can affect weight measurement. But are you saying that if I step on say 10 scales within 1 minute you expect a variation between scales of around 3kg.

My point is i have tested the Aria scale against multiple other scales at the same time in a minute window and i tested with 3 different scales the Aria is not accurate simple and plain. So i have a manufacturing fault with the device, that has developed after a while of using the scales.

This is a warranty issue and nothing else, so your posts about weight change during days etc have no valid point.

If a scale is out by 3kg or 7lbs this is a manufacture issue as acceptable variance is much lower than this, i could change to a scales that work yes easy done, but my point is i have paid for an expensive product, it has stopped working properly and under warranty i want it changed.

The point of my post is that and nothing else..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd want near pinpoint accuracy for the price they charge for those scales! They're around $200 here in Australia :open_mouth:

3kgs is quite a bit of a variance imo, especially if you are near or at goal weight. OP I'd keep on with contacting fitbit, since you're still under warranty. Your scale has been accurate for 11mths, and now it is not, so something is obviously up with it.

If you get no joy from Fitbit, go get a $20 digital scale from Target, I've had mine for years and it has never given me dodgy numbers.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Setting aside the issue of the scale giving a different weight for you...what happens when you put something of a known weight (ie: a 10lb dumbbell) on each of the scales? I would expect some difference there, which would then help determine which scale is closest to your actual weight.

~Lyssa
  • ljaphillips
    So using some weights it's over weighing by a fair margin.

Will keep on at support as it's under warranty which is two years here in UK.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    So using some weights it's over weighing by a fair margin.

Will keep on at support as it's under warranty which is two years here in UK.

Communicate that information to Fitbit - hopefully that will get them to replace it for you.

I'm also assuming you put brand new batteries in it when you mentioned changing the batteries?

~Lyssa
  • ljaphillips
    @macgurinet, yup did so this morning.. having alot of problem with support atm, they not returning calls etc when promised.. Basically some very bad support practices.. Pitty really, as i like the fitbit ecosystem. Hopefully they will do the right thing and replace.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Its sad to think that with the money you pay they would not just honor a warranty and replace it. However in this day and age I am sure they field so many calls from people who do not have legit claims so they have to scrutinize everyone. I have an Aria scale and have not had any issues with it. I have an older body fat digital scale that I sometimes use for comparison and they come with 1-2lbs of each other.
  • newhighnewlow
    newhighnewlow Posts: 50 Member
    i had a similar issue, turns out one of the feet on the underside was 'sticking (remaining partially pressed in even when scale was not in use) wet paper towel and pressed and pulled it a few times and everything seemed to return to normal.
  • EvilJosh
    EvilJosh Posts: 2 Member
    the aria scales suck. mine will show variations of several kilos over the course of a day. JBHI Fi are more than happy to replace them.
  • darkirish54
    darkirish54 Posts: 1 Member
    I just received ARIA 2, i'm not super impressed with it. It seems to have same issues. I've talked to support and agent became annoyed-thats new, usually they are very nice..so anyway..if it's still acting weird tomorrow i will be calling..but omg..they should test it in real world FIRST, then offer it as an option. I may end up returning it if they can't help me get it to work properly
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    I have had the worst experience with my aria. I still can't get it to detect me or send my info over to MFP. It used to work when i first got it then it quit.