My Body Recomp Plan... critique welcome

Hey guys!

I'm a relative newbie to lifting. Started in August with a trainer. My initial goals were to lose weight (with calorie deficit) and get fit enough to run a 5 mile race withing 45 mins. My SW was 128 lb CW is 110 - 112 lb and I'm 5'1.5. I'm happy with the amount of weight I've lost but now was to focus on recomp and gaining strength. My BF% according to my scales is 29. I know it's not accurate but I know I'm skinny fat.

I plan to eat at maintenance (still figuring the amkunt of calories I need) and strength train 4 days a week. My PT came up with thiz routine and I'd love any thoughts on how to improve it.

DAY 1
Warm-up: Bike 5-10 minutes (BRISKLY)
Stability ball hip bridges 3 x 15 reps
Dynamic illiopsoas Stretch
Bench Pigeon PNF Stretch 2 x 10 reps
Broomstick/Towel chest stretch (around your body)

SQUAT
One warm-up set of 20 reps w/ the barbell {focus on glute/muscle activation and technique}
5 x 5 reps (1/65%, 2/75%, 3/81%, 4/81%,5/81%)
*1-3 minute rest between sets, on the later sets take more rest if needed*

BARBELL MILITARY PRESS 5 x 5 reps (1/65%, 2/75%, 3/81%, 4/81%,5/81%)
*1-3 minutes rest between sets*

DEADLIFT
One warm-up set of 20 reps w/ the barbell {focus on glute/muscle activation and technique}
1x5 reps 90%

DAY 2
Warm-up: Elliptical 5-10 minutes (BRISKLY)
Foam roll back, lats, glutes, inner thigh
SQUAT
5 x 5 reps (1/65%, 2/75%, 3/81%, 4/81%, 5/81%)

FLAT BARBELL BENCH PRESS
*1-3 minute rest between sets*

BENT-OVER BARBELL ROW

DAY 3
Warm-up: Bike 5-10 minutes (BRISKLY)
Bench Pigeon PNF Stretch 2 x 10 reps

SQUAT
5 x 5 reps (1/65%, 2/75%, 3/81%, 4/81%, 5/81%)

BARBELL MILITARY PRESS 5 x 5 reps (1/65%, 2/75%, 3/81%, 4/81%,5/81%)
*1-3 minutes rest between sets*

Deadlift
2 x 5 Reps (90%)

DAY 4
Warm-up: Jump rope 5 min
Foam roll: back, glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves
broomstick/towel chest stretch
~PLEASE ADHERE TO MENTIONED REST PERIODS~

Lat pull-down Scapular depression 4 x 12 reps (Tempo 1/3/1)
*30- 45 seconds rest between sets*

Incline Bench Reverse Dumbbell flye 4x12 reps
*30 seconds rest between sets*

Push-ups 3 x 12 reps
->Stability Ball prone W presses 3 x 15 reps ( Tempo 4-0-4)

Bulgarian Split squats 4 x 8 reps
*60 seconds rest between sets)

Suitcase Walks 3 x 200 feet (each side)

Barbell Bench Hip Bridges{Heavy} 3x 10 reps
*60 seconds rest between sets*

HIIT 16 minutes
Cardio row (100%) 1 minute
Butterfly sit-ups 1 minute
High knees (90%)
Double crunch 1 minute
4 set total

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    No running any more?
  • fjpatten
    fjpatten Posts: 27 Member
    Still trying to find a way to run but have fallen in love with lifting. I only run once a week now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    fjpatten wrote: »
    Still trying to find a way to run but have fallen in love with lifting. I only run once a week now.

Fair enough.

Is there a reason you're not going with an established routine?
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited November 2017
    Just ensure that the program asks you to add weight every session or every week.
    The warm up with bar and then straight to 65% might work initially when weights are low but its too much of a gap when the final weights are higher a couple of months down the line.
    Im not knowledgeable enough to comment about the rest.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    What days of the week are you doing these on? It seems strange to have a 4 days a week routine that has squats 3 of those days.
  • fjpatten

Fair enough.

Is there a reason you're not going with an established routine?

This is what the PT came up with. I dabbled with stronglifts 5x5 on my own but as a newbie who had never stepped food in the free weight section I was intimdated and def needed guidance.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2017
    I would cut the warm up reps to 2 sets of 5 reps or something like that. Definitely not 20 reps.
  • fjpatten
    I would cut the warm up reps to 2 sets of 5 reps or something like that. Definitely not 20 reps.

Done! Thanks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    What days are you running this on? This is a bit weird structure for a 4 day program. It's like it was intended to be a 3 day full body and then they just threw on an accessory day.
  • fjpatten
    psuLemon wrote: »
    What days are you running this on? This is a bit weird structure for a 4 day program. It's like it was intended to be a 3 day full body and then they just threw on an accessory day.

It's supposed to be Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. The 4th day is supposed to work accessory muscles.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2017

DAY 1

DEADLIFT
    1x5 reps 90%

DAY 3

DEADLIFT
    2 x 5 Reps (90%)

I don't like how they have you jumping into a 90% work set. Generally that would be ill advised (if the weight is still low, this may be fine).

I'd rather see something that looks like this:
    (percents aren't prescriptive, just demonstrative)

Warm-up: 2x5 reps 40%
    Warm-up: 1x3 reps 60%
    Warm-up: 1x1 reps 80%
    Work set: 1x5 reps 90% (2x5 reps 90%)

The number of warm-ups used and percents used would depend on how much weight you're lifting. Heavier lifts could call for more warm-ups with singles for example to get to the work weight.

Another thing I don't like is that they're using percents for someone so new to lifting. A newbie lifter really doesn't have the ability to demonstrate a true 1 rep max. Plus, just the act of testing a 1 rep max has the effect of increasing your level of strength by the next session. Strength gains are too quick in the beginning for percents to be useful.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

It's supposed to be Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. The 4th day is supposed to work accessory muscles.

How long did the PT say to do this routine for? When will you be seeing the PT again? If you are seeing them every few weeks or once a month I think you should do the routine they gave you. I am assuming you talked about your goals before being given this routine. You are paying for this service. If you have any concerns about the routine they gave you should should bring it up with them.

If you don't want to do the routine that was given to you that is fine. I would suggest choosing an established routine if that is the case. This thread has links to many routines, maybe one is better suited for your goals: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Philostin3
    Philostin3 Posts: 95 Member
    Wow! You are extremely organized. Awesome.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I see this - from day #1:

DEADLIFT
    1x5 reps 90%

That is a lot of reps at 90% 1RM. Generally speaking. I would suspect that maybe a 1x3? More like a 1x2 ?