Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is CICO the new Keto?

124»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Here is a clickbaity article that didn't have to resort to useless word stacking. It's not perfect, but at least it provided some value while managing to do clickbait.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited November 2017
  • ladyhusker39
    edited November 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    She repeatedly said if you calorie count you will do this (become obsessed with counting, for example), and it's not sustainable. I don't think a reading of "like any diet people could fall into negative habits" is really a correct reading of what she said and certainly not how it's presented. The point is that CICO is a bad way to lose weight because you will (supposedly) do all these dumb thing (like stop paying attention to nutrients).

Isn't that like saying if your continuously balance your checkbook, you'll become obsessed with it and it's not sustainable?

I find that if I'm unsure of what I think about someone's comments about the sustainability of calorie counting if I translate to how I've always handled my finances it makes a lot more sense

Edit: Something's not working right for me this morning so my comments are in bold.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm not sure this thread is going anywhere at this point, so I'll make this my last post, unless the general conversation shifts direction.
    • This wasn't my intent when I came into this thread, but yes, I guess I am defending Cohen to some extent. Not the article as a whole, but Cohen as a perceived quack. She made about 6 points in the article, all of which have some degree of merit. They were framed poorly, but that could be somewhat or entirely because of the editing, and may or may not have anything to do with Cohen's knowledge or advice. That's good enough for me to say, "I need to hear more from her before I pass judgement." The article as a whole I think is very average/typical. I am neither impressed by it nor disappointed. It is basically what I expect from the general media.
    • To me, the article framed up potential pitfalls with calorie counting. It was/is not a condemnation of CICO.
    • I would have liked to see some suggestion of energy balance, but I do think, that for an article aimed at the general masses, CICO goes hand in hand with calorie counting... so the lack of distinction isn't a show stopper for me.
    • Being in the debate forum, I would have thought that people would have been more aware of their own biases, and thus more open minded about debate/conversation. Perhaps I am more guilty of this than I realize.
  • ladyhusker39
    If you don't support the calories in and out process for weight loss this whole website is basically a useless diary of memories of what you ate already.

LOL!

Dear diary. Today I ate a peach...Oh and some other stuff.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Here is a clickbaity article that didn't have to resort to useless word stacking. It's not perfect, but at least it provided some value while managing to do clickbait.

Now that was good. Especially in comparison to other article.

Probably could have even made the title more sensational considering how faddish IF is becoming purely for the same thoughts she started with.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    edited November 2017
    I feel like "counting calories" has such a negative connotation for many people that I just say "I'm careful about how much I eat." If people inquire further I'll point them to MFP.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I feel like "counting calories" has such a negative connotation for many people that I just say "I'm careful about how much I eat." If people inquire further I'll point them to MFP.

Yeah, I rarely get specific for exactly that reason. For family and friends I eat with often though I refused to flat out lie or go out of my way to hide it.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yeah, I rarely get specific for exactly that reason. For family and friends I eat with often though I refused to flat out lie or go out of my way to hide it.

thankfully, I haven't had that kind of reaction when folks ask me what I've been doing. Though what I DO tend to get is this look of disappointment, like they were hoping I had found some magical, easy way to lose weight or some miracle diet that wouldn't require any effort on their part at all. They don't seem to like being told it took work and discipline to stick to a calorie limit lol