Options
2»

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    tashafrzn wrote: »
    I’m not sure why you’re giving out false advice. I weigh 170 lbs and burning 600+ is totally doable lol. If I pushed more I’m sure I could hit 700. 60 minutes is a long time period :)
    Did you read what I said about Phelps? Do you believe you equal the the output of an Olympian swimmer in 1 minute?

That said, if you aren't losing, then why would you think that you're out exercising what you're consuming?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Serious question: wouldn't he be more "efficient" and therefore burn less per minute? So sorry for the ignorance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    tashafrzn wrote: »
    I’m not sure why you’re giving out false advice. I weigh 170 lbs and burning 600+ is totally doable lol. If I pushed more I’m sure I could hit 700. 60 minutes is a long time period :)
    Did you read what I said about Phelps? Do you believe you equal the the output of an Olympian swimmer in 1 minute?

That said, if you aren't losing, then why would you think that you're out exercising what you're consuming?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Serious question: wouldn't he be more "efficient" and therefore burn less per minute? So sorry for the ignorance.
    Let's say that's so. He's still burning 14 calories per minute at FULL SPEED. He WOULDN'T be able to sustain that for 60 minutes, which is the point. This is a pro athlete who probably has some of the BEST cardio fitness in the world. Even many amateur athletes would have to bust their butt to do that. And we're talking of an average gym goer on an elliptical machine.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I burn over 1200 calories doing stationary bike for 60 minutes
    Haha! That must be a 400lbs bike you're lugging around!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AbbyPort89
    AbbyPort89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry to thread jack, genuine question.....what would be a semi-accurate way to measure calories burned on an elliptical? I use an apple watch and it does estimate numbers in the 600's for me.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Focus less on exercise and more on what you're eating. Identify the amount of calories you have to eat to lose 1-.5lb a week, buy a food scale, measure everything that you eat.
  • max1mus2124
    max1mus2124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! How's it going? Don't worry about losing weight just for holidays. You need to take it one day at a time, focus on your diet and exercise, change up your routine a little, so you can maintain a healthy lifestyle. Then over time, the plateau phase will go away. I'm dealing with this similar situation myself, so I know how you feel. Sometimes, the number on the scale can be ambiguous even though your body figure has changed and you feel much better. Stay positive!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you were losing weight, it would be fine to claim you were burning that much. It might not be true, but it wouldn't hurt anything. You're not losing weight, so it is hurting you. You need to adjust your calorie intake and exercise expenditure until it matches reality, because reality is not going to adjust itself to you.

By the way, Mapmyhike gave me a 490 calorie burn for 31 minutes of slowly walking around shopping the other day. Probably not true. A little common sense goes a long way.

Do I understand that you haven't been logging your food? Start there. It's very common for people to unconsciously adjust their food intake upwards when they exercise more.