Stovetop Grill

ASGG7818
ASGG7818 Posts: 19 Member
Has anyone tried a indoor stovetop smokeless grill? wondering if it gives the same "grilled" taste as a regular one?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    A George Foreman grill is a grill and mostly smokeless.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    I use a cast iron one, like this (an old Lodge brand- originally unseasoned):

6p9ly5eoctuc.jpg

The "grill" side makes wonderful char marks:

uqyy9jo4qbsv.jpg

The flat side is perfect for making pancakes.

There is always smoke:

094k9tiyl8vq.jpg

But the food is delicious :)

esny3nd6bqvs.jpg

I use coarse salt and chain mail to keep my cast iron healthy during cleaning. This particular piece gets used pretty often, so it normally gets dried and rubbed down with oil before setting up. My other less-used pieces are kept dry and wrapped in cheesecloth until their next time out. Get ventilation going first to avoid unnecessary smoke alarms (really important if you happen to live in an apartment like I do... the entire complex gets notified :|:D:D:D ). I also find it's handy to make sure my surface is at the proper temperature before attempting to cook. This allows for good, even cooking, and prevents things sticking and subsequently burning between batches (more smoke). Good luck! <3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I have a grill pan (as shown above). It gives nice grill marks but no smokey taste like you get from cooking over an open fire.

Do they still make Jen-Air ovens that were so popular back in the 80's (or was it 70's??)? They had a built in open flame grill with a fans beside that pulled the smoke down and out an exhaust.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Love my George Foreman, but definitely doesn't compare to outdoor grilling.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I had to look at one of these on Amazon to figure out what we're talking about. They should smoke less than a Lodge stovetop grill because the drippings are directed away from the heat but some of the commenters do talk about setting off their smoke detectors.

I only replied to suggest a stovetop smoker to those looking for smoke flavor indoors. I use a Cameron Stovetop Smoker for pork chops and salmon in a small apartment without smoke detector problems.
  • NoelleMB85
    NoelleMB85 Posts: 5 Member
    I saw an electric "smokeless" grill come through my register at Walmart yesterday.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I think I have one like you are referring to. It is round and looks like the picture in the Amazon link above. I like it for one or two people. It has water that goes around the rim and grills small amounts of food nicely on the stove (I have a ceramic top). Some oil does leak into the water and spilling it can be a mess, but not a bad invention. I don't use it often because I have a big family. I'll have to remember it next time I do grilled vegetables & chicken for lunch for just me.